Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 08:27 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TAV Is the Best

New to automatic lenses (no not just aperture you old timers) I have discovered the magic wonderland that is TAV mode on my K5.

I've come from a history of M's and Taks, so all those silly other modes where just wasted space on a dial really. I mean, M, X, TV. The END!

But god TAV mode is perfect. I'm happy with the higher ISO's on my K5 when I'm out shooting without much prior thought, it's great.

Toys are good, I feel like I've just woken up from the 80's.

I have the glorious fortune to have a day off so I'm spending it at a French car festival. DA*'s with me, TAV mode, I'm gonna have a hoot :P

VIV LA PENTAX

10-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy!!!!
10-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'm with you about TAv. (For handheld, and wildlife particularly. Tripod shots are a different story - then you generally want fixed ISO and aperture and let the shutter speed float.) Just make sure to set the ISO within a reasonable range. The one area where I don't like it is flash (use X or M).
Some people like using P mode with the hyper-program function. Camera sets a starting point and you can adjust aperture and shutter.

Last edited by Des; 10-15-2016 at 03:57 PM.
10-14-2016, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

i tried it but hated it. i use Av with the front dial for iso.

maybe i choose slower shutter over higher iso? i feel like auto iso is a terrible plan

10-14-2016, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ahh yes, actually I also have recently been discovering TAV and yes not too shabby at all, nice one.

and I got a proper take up spool from Ukraine for the Kiev4 Have done a roll of XP2 just have to get it processed now.
10-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #6

What does that mode put out in the EXIF?
10-14-2016, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

In general I agree.
Photography has been waiting a 175 year to complete the logical triad - time, quantity and sensitivity.
What I don't understand is why it is not universally implemented in all modern cameras.

---------- Post added 10-15-16 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
What does that mode put out in the EXIF?
On my K5:
"Exposure Program - not defined"

10-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #8

Each of the modes has its uses, and should not be used exclusively, but TAv is my goto auto mode these days, especially in fast changing low light. Seriously, with current sensors handling noise so well, I'm much happier with the freedom to set my shutter and aperture as I please.

The key is setting the ISO range to a level that falls within the maximum amount of noise *you* are comfortable with for the circumstances, and keeping an eye on when it redlines. if it does... adjust shutter or aperture as appropriate.
10-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Each of the modes has its uses, and should not be used exclusively, but TAv is my goto auto mode these days, especially in fast changing low light. Seriously, with current sensors handling noise so well, I'm much happier with the freedom to set my shutter and aperture as I please.

The key is setting the ISO range to a level that falls within the maximum amount of noise *you* are comfortable with for the circumstances, and keeping an eye on when it redlines. if it does... adjust shutter or aperture as appropriate.
I usually have a pretty good idea how much action "Tv", and DOF "Av" I need , and I just let ISO float where it may.
If later in PP I find I have something that's useless that's OK - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Last edited by wildman; 10-15-2016 at 01:26 AM.
10-14-2016, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I use P mode almost exclusively (apart from going to M for flash) on the K5 and K3, but I have been switching to TAv a lot lately on the K1. This is to avoid shake caused by the shutter at around 1/100 sec. TAv allows me to do this while still having full control over aperture.
10-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up to the K-1, TAV was my absolute favourite - The K-1 can use a 3 dedicated dial system in full M, so now I use full M more often, but TAV is still perfect when shutter speed and aperture matter and you don't have time to fiddle with dials
10-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

I agree with wibbly: Av with the front dial for iso.

First ISO, then aperture - and a final/short look at the shutter.
First ISO because that's up to me, not the small japanese inside the box!
Yes, I am aware of the impressive Hi ISO performance of the new models
but still I want to keep the ISO as low as possible (almost all the time).

By this way a simple flick of the front dial switch from auto ISO to manual setting.

A simple press of the green button will return it back to the small japanese (Auto ISO).
By a rigid definition of 1600 as upper limit I don't allow "him" to go higher by himself.

In this way I have full control over both ISO and aperture (by the rear dial).

Finally, yes TAV mode is perfect when the light change all the time and short time for the settings.

Last edited by Dabola; 10-15-2016 at 02:31 AM.
10-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I shoot a lot of indoor low-light event photos, when I am not using the flash (M mode with flash), I use TAv shooting mode. While in TAv mode, I can also use EV (to compensate for exposure affecting the ISO the metering system chooses). Although some may argue that M mode with auto-ISO works the same as implemented by other camera makers, it is close but not the same IMO as TAv mode takes EV setting into account.

TAv mode is so important to me that I can't think of switching to another camera system.

---------- Post added 10-15-2016 at 05:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabola Quote
I agree with wibbly: Av with the front dial for iso.

First ISO, then aperture - and a final/short look at the shutter.
First ISO because that's up to me, not the small japanese inside the box!
Yes, I am aware of the impressive Hi ISO performance of the new models
but still I want to keep the ISO as low as possible (almost all the time).

By this way a simple flick of the front dial switch from auto ISO to manual.
A simple press of the green button will return it back to the small japanese (Auto ISO).

In this way I have full control over both ISO and aperture (by the rear dial).
I am not disagreeing with you but how do you control your shutter speed if the subject is moving (say a dancer performing on the stage)?

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-15-2016 at 02:29 AM.
10-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
Forum Member

....a dancer performing on the stage?
Then aperture is not the key. In such case (and no flash) I would switch over to Tv. Still front dial for iso and rear dial for Shutter.
First ISO, then shutter - and a final/short look at the aperture.

Or TAV mode - in the way you recommend: (aperture + shutter => ISO).

Last edited by Dabola; 10-15-2016 at 02:59 AM.
10-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabola Quote
....a dancer performing on the stage?
Then aperture is not the key. In such case (and no flash) I would switch over to Tv. Still front dial for iso and rear dial for Shutter.
Or TAV mode - in the way you recommend.
What if you don't want to use wide-open aperture, while you control your shutter speed?
There is a reason why there is a TAv mode implemented in Pentax DSLR cameras (facilitated by the front and rear dials) for situations where the shutter speed and DOF both matter the most over ISO (thanks to the high ISO noise performance in modern day DSLRs).

Well, whatever works for you...