Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Screen Captures of the Secret Mode of the K100D

Since the secret menu (or called the servicing or engineering menu if you like) of the K10D got exposed recently, the (two) methods for acessing the secret menus of all Pentax DSLRs, namely, for the K10D and all others (some people who have the *ist D lately confirmed that the second method works for their *ist D), have been widely spreaded over the net quickly in just a few days.

I have already successfully accessed the menu by putting my K100D into the servicing mode by following the method described for the K100D and *ist Dx cameras. I would like to share all those screen captures for the menu items and screen pages which I dared to get into, one by one, in the below. Well, I bet the captures should be of great interest for many Pentax DSLR users, especially for those who dare not or need not to try but still tempted to see what will happen and what are inside ;-) So, here they are and happy viewing!

Last edited by Toshi; 02-18-2007 at 12:20 PM.
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rice, you have an annoying habit of posting links to your sites without any context.

For everyone else, he is referring to the post here:
self focus adjust: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
where the Pentax debug focus calibration is described. You can enter hidden menus in the K10 to adjust front/back focus if you have it.
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rice, are you referring to the K10D or the K100D in your blog? The title contradicts the content

Next time, why not post whatever you're trying to share directly here? That'll save us some time and make things easier to follow. Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Rice, are you referring to the K10D or the K100D in your blog? The title contradicts the content
I refer to the K100D, there are two sets of procedures for accessing the service menu and enter into the service debug mode for K10D and all other Pentax DSLRs respectively. I did that with my K100D and captured the screens.

QuoteQuote:
Next time, why not post whatever you're trying to share directly here? That'll save us some time and make things easier to follow. Thanks!
Well, you know, my articles are usually lengthy :-), and/or specially formatted, e.g., with tables etc., and/or with quite some pics attached (like this post).

I think by referring the link, I can save quite some time as well as the original contents can be 100% kept and save the bandwidth of the internet as well (well, storage of your forum, too!). It is not so difficult to follow by clicking a referred URL, isn't it? :-)

02-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

anyways RH.. i have been in mine and had a look.. what i want to know now.. is what they all do.. he he

are u brave enough.. i aint..

trog
02-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
anyways RH.. i have been in mine and had a look.. what i want to know now.. is what they all do.. he he

are u brave enough.. i aint..

trog
Nope. I won't touch others. As I've mentioned in my blog post. I have already captured all the screens I dared to access.

For all those others, I guess an hardware connection is required and that I strongly recommend all Pentax users should NOT touch all the options with read/write/save functions as those are considered to be dangerous and no ordinary user can decode the info without a special toolkit.
02-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Hi all,

Just wish to amend that I do the same at my blog, but not only at forums, by referring to the PentaxForums or other places, like this blog entry of mine (so, I do things in a consistent way, at anywhere :-)), an example here!:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Secret Firmware Menu of the K10D (V1.10)

In short, re-typing means duplicated efforts. And if those stuff are written by others, but not me, which will involve copyrights issues and the re-typed and re-phrased info will be distorted in meaning somehow also. That's a good reason why I have never directly linked to any pictures to other links in my blog (unlike many other Pentax blogs do), but instead I just always post the picture links. (but for my posting at different forums copyright is not an issue as I'm the original author anyway. So, only "duplicated efforts" and "not exactly in meaning when typing a second time" will apply here :-)
02-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #8

RiceHigh,

I think it's cool in a way that you're sharing this information but I worry that some people will damage their cameras by trying to adjust things that were never intended for end users to adjust.

At the end of the day, I suppose we are all responsible for ourselves so we can chose to try this adjustment or not. I don't know if I would try it or not. I certainly wouldn't tinker with unless I felt I had a focus issue.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it. Perhaps you should put some high profile cautionary text prior to those instructions to warn people they are at risk of damaging their equipment if they don't follow the instructions precisely or if something else were to go wrong.

02-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this, RH. I knew exactly what you were referring to. Go ahead and try some of those setting for me, will you?
02-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if someone will find a way to pixel remap through these various settings? would be nice!
02-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
RiceHigh,

I think it's cool in a way that you're sharing this information but I worry that some people will damage their cameras by trying to adjust things that were never intended for end users to adjust.

At the end of the day, I suppose we are all responsible for ourselves so we can chose to try this adjustment or not. I don't know if I would try it or not. I certainly wouldn't tinker with unless I felt I had a focus issue.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it. Perhaps you should put some high profile cautionary text prior to those instructions to warn people they are at risk of damaging their equipment if they don't follow the instructions precisely or if something else were to go wrong.
I'm glad that you like the presentation format. :-)

For the warning, I think I've done that already, but may not be in a high profile tone that you suggested :-) I quote the following for what I've written:-

"Bottom line is IF you DON'T face *any* problem, do NOT try it. That's my humble advice. But I think I would still like to share this piece of valuable information here, for those who might need it or find this interesting for some reasons."
02-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Thanks for posting this, RH. I knew exactly what you were referring to. Go ahead and try some of those setting for me, will you?
I think for the focus correction adjustment, user will not damage the camera as these can be inputed to zero at anytime just in case.

As for other functions, it has no meaning for the end-user as I bet special software and hardware tools are required to get these interpreted and modified. So, pls don't touch these anyway.
02-16-2007, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I wonder if someone will find a way to pixel remap through these various settings? would be nice!
I think additional software tool is required to read and change the bad-pixel ruled out table..