Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ist DS shutter button problem - no contact.

Hi, I'm having a problem with my DS - most of the time when I press down on the shutter button nothing happens. If I *mash* it down and kinda of rock my finger tip back and forth I can get it to take a picture - but even this doesn't work all the time.

I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into the button area and worked the shutter button, but this hasn't really done anything to resolve the problem.

Any chance someone out there has had a simular problem?? If so, were you able to fix it?

Or, has anyone replaced the shutter button assembly (assuming you can get it from Pentax)?

Or, do I just bite the bullet and send it to Pentax? Any guesstimates as to cost?

Thanks.

07-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #2

I don't have any solution. Only thing I can recommend is to try the spray again if you feel that the spray went through the gap in to the body. I don't have the same camera but by lookng at my K200 looks like there is a switch right below the button for shutter release and also an actuated (separate) switch for focus. The best spray is Pro Gold by Caig Lab. You can get it at Radio Shack. It is not cheap but it will solve any contact problems. I have six different cans of contact cleaner. I only use the Pro Gold.

The key point for the second spray is to rock the body hoping that the solution soaks in to the switch(s). I would also turn it upside down and back.

I guess you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck
07-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My DS shutter also just up and quit a while back.

It would not work, and then take 2-3 shots in a row, then not work. then, while on a trip to Vegas where I was hoping to get some nice city shots, it just stopped.

I decided not to send it in. I bought an remote shutter cable, which works but is a pain. I am now thinking about upgrading the body, and don't ant to drop what I suspect would be at least $200 for repair. I'd rather put that toward a new body.
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
MnR

Hi,

Well for both of you it is the Shutter button that died or is dying. Sometimes it is just dirty contacts in the switch, But most of the time it is that the button is just plain worn out.

Too bad you can buy a new switch and replace it yourself...

Rudy

07-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Appreciate the comments - I'm a little bummed out by this. I had already bought a new K200D and wanted to sell the DS to cover some of the expense.

MnR, I *assume* you meant to say "can't".............

Anyone know how to get Pentax part numbers??
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey did you ever get this fixed? Does anyone know how it can be done?
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

After my DS died, I tore into it a bit and took some pictures. The shutter button just has a plastic nub that goes through the camera top plate

thirsty : photos : Forum Examples

and pushes a switch underneath (the gray square on the orange circuit board):

thirsty : photos : Forum Examples

As you can see, you'd either have to replace the entire flex circuit or solder a new switch onto it (assuming the switch is the problem).

07-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Back then that switch was available seperately for the Z-1p camera so replacing it will be cheap. On the DS parts manual, that switch does not exist seperately so offically you cannot buy it from Pentax. However, I have the feeling that it might actually exist in Pentax parts departments. And even if not, I am sure they have enough dead DS just to extract one for you if you talked to the right person. Last time I made a mistake and killed the SD door switch, Pentax Canada was kind enough to extract an used one from a dead part because it was not being sold seperately too. Good luck.
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hey did you ever get this fixed? Does anyone know how it can be done?
Nick, I sent the DS to Pentax service - the quote to fix was around $240 (I forget exactly how much) - so said "no thanks". Sold it on eBay and bought a new K200D.
07-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, my K100D Super shutter button is starting to require harder and harder pushes to actually go off, too. It's probably a pretty common problem with the DS/DL/K1x0 series then?
07-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #11

DS switch options

I've got this problem on my DS too. In my case, the switch still works as a shutter release, but the two stage depression has failed, so it won't autofocus, which is a bit of a pain. The workaround is to set the ok button to activate the autofocus. But it can only be a matter of time before it totally fails. I've disassembled, squirted with contact cleaner and fiddled as much as I can, but no joy.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Back then that switch was available seperately for the Z-1p
Much to my - (and it seems everyone else's) - annoyance, UK Pentax servicing has been outsourced from local Slough HQ. I've emailed them twice about getting a replacement part, but had no reply. I'll try giving them a ring, but I now have rather low expectations about a response. The Z-1p tip is priceless, as it enlarges the potential pool of knackered bodies on ebay to target for cannibalisation. I'd guess these switches are pretty standard and ubiquitous - but without disassembling dozens of models it's hard to know. Anyone have any experience?..
08-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its amazing how Pentax will say the shutter will last 100,000 activations, but you might be lucky to get 10,000 activations out of the shutter button.

It brings a whole new meaning when asking how many shutter activations have been done on a used body.
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am checking the pics & parts manuals of DS and Z-1p. Both have 4 contacts and appear the same size. My instinct tells me they should be interchangable (though I could be wrong). Sadly I sold my Z-1p parts off few years ago so I cannot test it myself. The Z-1/Z-1p switch part # is T204 if anyone wants to try. Please do report back if anyone tried with success.

the copyright holder pls excuse me using this pic w/o permission

Last edited by wlachan; 08-27-2009 at 02:06 PM.
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Believe it or not. The part is still available in the USA, from Pentax parts.
No technical assistant is available though.
09-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The switch from a Z-1p will not work. Ask me how I know. Neither will one from a Z50. They are larger and thicker than that used in the digitals.
The part is not available from Pentax, nor it's repair centers.
This leaves the broken camera route on ebay as the only source.

Which I think sucks! My camera only has 10,214 pics on it. I would think the switch should hold up better than this.