Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 or D750?

Long time lurker first time poster. Long story short, I've currently got a Nikon D3300. While it was a significant upgrade from a 10 year old Canon, I'm finding I wasn't something a little better and also make the jump to full frame. A friend is a huge Pentax fan and has come close to selling me on the K-1. I do like the pixel shift and astrotracer features. However with the D750, lenses seem to be more plentiful and cheaper. Plus I can use my current lenses, even though it would switch to crop sensor mode and I wouldn't get the full benefit of full frame. Recommendations?

Last edited by cdd29; 10-19-2016 at 10:45 AM.
10-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just because Nikon F mount lenses are plentiful and cheap, does not mean they are good*. Pentax may have a small number of lenses that can be on the expensive side, but they are good. You can also explore the older M42/K/M/A/F/FA lenses with fewer legacy lens issues than you will encounter with Nikon F mount.

*Some photographers actually prefer the older Nikkor-D series lenses than the newer G lenses. In certain instances the older lenses have visibly better rendering characteristics than the newer lenses.
10-19-2016, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you shoot?

The D750 in no way compares to the k-1. It is an upgrade from a K-3 in many respects.

SO D750- better action camera, better AF and Tracking, IQ sacrificed for speed of operation and frame rate.
K-1 designed as a field camera. Slow burst mode, not as good AF or tracking... harder to get a moving image, but if you do get the image, because it's a landscape, stationary or because the K-1 tracking and AF are up to the job (and they are up to the job more often than the aren't )... then the K-1 gets you a higher IQ image.

You really are comparing apples and oranges.
If you want the IQ of the K-1 then a D750 isn't good enough.
If you want the tracking and AF of the D750 then a K-1 isn't good enough. Simply stated, you can't have it all, no matter what you buy. Only you can decide.

But, if you have no way of using the higher IQ, i.e. you don't print big....maybe the D750 is the best compromise.

Personally I wouldn't consider a D750, unless I was buying a D810 to go with it, in case I want what the K-1 has to offer. MY choice was K-3 instead of D750, and K-1 instead of D810, but the D750 remains a very nice one camera choice. Although in your case a D750 in crop mode delivers considerably less IQ than your D3300, so thinking of using crop lenses would put you at a serious disadvantage with it.

Last edited by normhead; 10-19-2016 at 07:03 AM.
10-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

I had D750. Then I bought K-1. Then I sold D750

10-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on what your interest in. Your lenses aren't very important in the equation, as they are crop lenses and not going to be usable long term on a D750.

D750 will be better if your more interested in action photography or want to do a lot of flash photography. Frame rates on the D750 still aren't great, but they are better than the K-1 and tracking auto focus is better as well.

The K-1 is a landscape photographer's dream and if that is more your interest, then I would definitely look seriously at it.

I think the bigger thing is to go through and create a dream lens line up you would have. Nikon certainly will have more availability of specialty lenses and if you want a 300mm f2.8 down the road or a 600mm f4, then Nikon is probably the way to go. For bread and butter lenses, Pentax has things pretty well filled out.
10-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses do you have?
What lenses with each camera do you need?
What lenses do you think you will add in the next two years?
What is your dream lens lineup?
What type of photography do you see using these for?
10-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Unless you have or are going to get super teles of 500mm and larger I strongly recommend the K-1. Pentax has not glass in this section yet.

10-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

It is tempting to get the "best" equipment. But do keep in mind that yesterday best camera is mediocre today. Reality is that equipment is usually not the limiting factor; the grey matter behind the viewfinder usually is the limiting factor at least in my case. D3300 is a decent camera, but still can produce top notch pictures.
10-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Unless you have or are going to get super teles of 500mm and larger I strongly recommend the K-1. Pentax has not glass in this section yet.
You mean like the DA 560?
Also still available for K-1, Sigma 500mm 4.5 which works fine with the TC, and Sigma 300 2.8. Let's not pretend there is nothing out there. And I haven't even mentioned all the legacy glass. Limited yes., but not impossible. What you can't do is spend $10,000 for a single lens, if doing that is important to you.
10-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I mean if you want the variety of options that Nikon offers. The DA 560 is a nice lens and its special features put it in a category of its own. If there was a DFA designated lens like the famous FAs from the past there wouldn't be any gaps in Pentax arsenal, even with only one DFA and 2 top quality FF TCs.
10-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Just given that there are so many companies for whom there truly are no long telephoto options, it's completely misleading to lump Pentax into that group.
10-19-2016, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Just given that there are so many companies for whom there truly are no long telephoto options, it's completely misleading to lump Pentax into that group.
You are a wonderful guy my friend! And I'm not being ironic here but you have a special ability to create issues from nowhere!
One of our members asked a specific question. K-1 or D750? I completely agree with your points in your first reply and having used both cameras (they are both great by the way) I go one step further and recommend the K-1 having in mind all the plus and cons of each one (that you have elaborated correctly - at least to my opinion). I only added the gap in Pentax as a system that I believe it will be covered some day. I know about the Signa offerings but even those are not as rich as the relevant for Nikon. The issue here is not what I want or I believe, it is what our friend the OP wants. It is a fact that there are plenty more options from the Nikon system and that is what I said. I can't really see where do you disagree with my saying. Did I make any comparisons with other brands or opened up a different discussion? I can't even understand why I'm typing this message and I apologize to the OP for my irrelevant post. My recommendation and my whole point was clear I have nothing more to add.
Normhead you are the guy I would like to drink beers in the pub and watch soccer! I would never be bored for sure, we could fight for anything even by supporting the same team!
10-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For lenses, the real question isn't which brand has the most extensive lineup. It's which lenses do you need and are willing to buy at current prices ? Sure, there's many lenses in the Nikon and Canon lineup, but if you're not buying one of these unique lenses because you don't need them or they're well over your budget, it doesn't matter if they're not available in K-mount... Because in the end, you will get to the exact same point: you will not use these lenses, no matter if you're with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or any othe brand...

I don't know how many times I've heard "But Canon or Nikon have this wonderful lens that isn't available in K-mount" from people who don't own the lens and will never buy it anyway... Even more puzzling when these people actually own only a very limited set of basic lenses...
10-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we are arguing about nothing. The OP did not give any indication that he was interested in specialty lenses like a 500mm f4 or a tilt shift. I think they were brought up mainly because Pentax has fewer options (which isn't the same thing as no options).

In the end, both are nice cameras and will have standard zooms and primes covered fairly well.
10-19-2016, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also still available for K-1, Sigma 500mm 4.5 which works fine with the TC, and Sigma 300 2.8. Let's not pretend there is nothing out there. And I haven't even mentioned all the legacy glass. Limited yes., but not impossible. What you can't do is spend $10,000 for a single lens, if doing that is important to you.
I think it is true if you look at the breadth of the offerings and their costs. The Nikon system has more variety at more price points. That doesn't make it insane to use Pentax for the same purpose nor does it make it a no brainer to use Nikon for this purpose but it does mean that the range of choices is larger. As pointed out - if the choices are out of your price range or below your threshold of quality then they shouldn't factor into the decision. This is why I posed the questions to the OP about lenses and intended use. It seems everyone want to answer before we know enough to frame a response. Your post is rational but I think you are taking the statement about long lenses too literally - it's not that they don't exist - they are limited in number and variety however good and competitive they may be. Some systems are far more limited and I think that's a valid point.