Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
*ist ds & m42 lenses

Greetings,
I just purchased a used *ist ds. I'd like to use a couple of my old m42 lenses with it but I'm a bit confused by some of the info on adapters I've found online. What I'd like to do is purchase an adapter for each lens so I'm not constantly threading the things on and off. But, some of the info I've seen seems to suggest that won't work. That the adapter will be left in the camera body each time I remove a lens. Is this true? Is there a practical workaround that will allow me to leave an adapter on each lens?
Thanks,
John

07-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter locks into the body just like a K-mount lens. You COULD mount the adapter to the lens, then mount the entire assembly to the body as if it was a K-mount lens, but that is not the Pentax recommendation. Pentax recommends mounting the adapter to the body, then screwing the lens into the adapter.

You should screw the lens into the adapter only finger-tight. There would then typically not be enough friction on the screw threads in the adapter to allow you to unlock the entire assembly and remove it as a unit - the lens would unscrew anyway.

Lastly, you release the spring in the adapter with a thumbnail and unlock the mount lock to remove the adapter. You can't release the spring with a lens mounted.

You may disagree, but for me part of the fun of the screwmount lenses is having to screw them in and out - the old way is strangely satisfying..
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hin's Tech Corner

Go here. Hinman has done a good bit of work on adapters for M42 to K mount.
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Hin's Tech Corner

Go here. Hinman has done a good bit of work on adapters for M42 to K mount.
Thanks for the kind comments. I post these posts related to M42 adapter in another thread

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman:
I wrote up bunch of M42 adapters articles in my blog post, I would recommend the Genuine adapter from Pentax as the best option.

Thanks,
Hin

07-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. Will check this info out.