Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Suggestion for Pentax diopter mod & mini rant!

Mini-rant: How about a locking mechanism for the diopter adjustment slider?

Last night no less than twice I brought the viewfinder to my eyeball only to find everything blurred out. Apparently my fingers or nose find its way to the slider somehow and up it goes...

I'm about to jam a paper wedge in there, lol.

07-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Mini-rant: How about a locking mechanism for the diopter adjustment slider?

Last night no less than twice I brought the viewfinder to my eyeball only to find everything blurred out. Apparently my fingers or nose find its way to the slider somehow and up it goes...
I admit that I'm not crazy about the way the diopter works, either. But this has to be the oldest design element on the camera - I mean, it's been working like this on SLR's for a long time. And I seldom move mine by accident.

I can't imagine how you could adjust the diopter with your nose. And I myself have a pretty big schnoz.

It's a good idea to develop some firm habits for handling the camera with care. The diopter is not the only thing you could change accidentally - and not the easiest, either.

Will
07-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I can't imagine how you could adjust the diopter with your nose. And I myself have a pretty big schnoz.

Will
Oh, c'mon. This is just a failure of the imagination. I hit mine with my nose all the time. In fact, that's how I operate all the buttons on my K10D. I find the nasal ergonomics of the Pentax products superior to Canon or Nikon
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pswann, we need a comedy forum here. I'll have to suggest that to Adam

Don't go jamming something in there to hold it in place. It's just clipped in with a tiny piece of plastic that is easy to snap off (I Know). Then you're waiting 3 weeks from Pentax parts to get another one. I'm surprised that the diopter moves that often if the rubbeer eye cup is in place.

07-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was obviously joking about my nose moving the diopter slider, however I've hit all kinds of back buttons with it.

As far as how you move the slider over mistakenly, I'll have to "recreate" the moment tonight, but I am almost sure it happens when I'm running around the reception hall switching lenses. As I use a hand strap, I typically grip the camera with my left hand, let go of the hand strap, and switch out the lens with my right hand (lens belt pouch on the right).

I think my thumb naturally wraps around the flash hotshoe area for better support of the camera and as I twist/lock the lens, the slider moves. The eye piece does nothing to stop my big fingers from moving it.
07-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A little black gaffers tape across the slider and top of the viewfinder protusion should work.

Thank you
Russell
07-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crazy glue it into place.

Or melt it with a soldering iron.

07-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #8

Add the Pentax Magnifier Eye Cup, it slides right on inplace of the stock rubber cup, is great for us with ageing eyes, you can manual focus easier and still see all the screen info...and it puts your face (and nose!) a bit further from the camera. Got mine from B&H through Amazon....$36 ($50 msrp). Probably less chance of tweaking the diopter lever too....
07-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JetNinja, I looked into it but it looks so bulky. I wish I could find it locally to try it out before dropping money on it.

rparmar, you crazy mon!

Russell-Evans, that's one heck of a simple solution and one I will explore for my next event!
07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #10

Hmmm, I don't find it bulky at all. Adds maybe a .30-.25" to the length...just moving your face back a bit.