Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About IBIS - Which company started IBIS in DSLR's ? Curiosity question.

I have noticed that, for the past few months, several camera manufacturers other than Ricoh/Pentax have been introducing "in body image stabilization" (IBIS) in their product(s) ((especially in newer mirrorless cameras)).

Meanwhile, I am bragging about Pentax DSLR's as being the first to do so, perhaps wrongly?

So, for those who are in the know: which camera manufacturer "invented" IBIS for DSLR's ? (not mirrorless cameras).
And to ask a further question: when did it happen the first time?

Cheers!

10-22-2016, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Minolta was the first [at least among consumer oriented DSLR manufacturers] to use IBIS in the 7D
10-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears Konica/Minolta was first.

Image stabilization - Wikipedia
10-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Minolta was the first [at least among consumer oriented DSLR manufacturers] to use IBIS in the 7D
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It appears Konica/Minolta was first.

Image stabilization - Wikipedia
Thanks.
I've browsed a bit in Wiki but could not quite make out "who was first".
So, I guess I'm wrong bragging about Pentax being the first to introduce IBIS in DSLR's !
I thought that the 7D was strictly a Canon product and had nothing to do with Minolta.

10-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I thought that the 7D was strictly a Canon product and had nothing to do with Minolta.
Good point. There used to be some kind of gentleman's agreement to not tread on each others' nomenclature.

Back in the day, Nikon made the F and later F2. But Canon called their pro body the F-1. For some reason a lot of Japanese manufacturers liked the letter "F" in their bodies, perhaps trying to borrow some of the Nikon's cachet.

I think Leica even sued Olympus, and won, stopping them from calling their SLR the M-1. The M series was Leica's, darn it.

But once you had a model name, you could use it for the 5, 10, or 15 years the model was in production (Spotmatic or K1000 anyone?).

With digital models coming and going so fast, the manufacturers are literally running out of new and sexy ways to number and letter their cameras. We've seen D60 used by Canon and Nikon, and S2 has been seen on several cameras from several manufacturers. I didn't realize until this post that 7D had now appeared on two models.

Question is, have Pentax protested Leica's use of Q?
10-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Good point. There used to be some kind of gentleman's agreement to not tread on each others' nomenclature.

Back in the day, Nikon made the F and later F2. But Canon called their pro body the F-1. For some reason a lot of Japanese manufacturers liked the letter "F" in their bodies, perhaps trying to borrow some of the Nikon's cachet.

I think Leica even sued Olympus, and won, stopping them from calling their SLR the M-1. The M series was Leica's, darn it.

But once you had a model name, you could use it for the 5, 10, or 15 years the model was in production (Spotmatic or K1000 anyone?).

With digital models coming and going so fast, the manufacturers are literally running out of new and sexy ways to number and letter their cameras. We've seen D60 used by Canon and Nikon, and S2 has been seen on several cameras from several manufacturers. I didn't realize until this post that 7D had now appeared on two models.

Question is, have Pentax protested Leica's use of Q?
Good info! Thanks!
So, the Minolta gang started the IBIS "revolution" ?
(for DSLR's, I mean).
I sure was confused about this naming "convention" .... that clarifies the situation.
10-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
It's another 7D, not Canon's.

Yes, Konica Minolta was first, then Pentax, then Olympus.

10-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax was alone for some years in using electromagnets for IBIS though (by now everyone seems to gone over to similar designs).
This makes it possible to move the sensor more freely, and easier to implement many other functions that moves the sensor.
10-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have also heard, that Pentax has a patent for IBIS in a film body. This is possibly the first use of IBIS.

Regards

Chris
10-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I have also heard, that Pentax has a patent for IBIS in a film body. This is possibly the first use of IBIS.
I'd be interested on how you would shift a strip of film, cassette and take up reel around for IBIS.
10-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Slightly off topic, but Contax did move around the film in their 35mm C/Y mount AX camera from 1996. But the purpose of moving the film was not stabilization, but autofocusing with manual focus lenses.
10-22-2016, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
The chaotic model designations have always been an irritant to my sense of order. Here is a suggestion for them: Example, 3D4g
3 - (No 1 is top of line, decreasing)
D - This is the fourth redesign of the model
4 - (Optional) The specialty of the camera (Medical, Astronomy, Landscape, Travel, Sports etc)
g - (Optional) comes with gps (or other non standard feature).
10-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's another 7D, not Canon's.

Yes, Konica Minolta was first, then Pentax, then Olympus.
When it comes to DSLRs, this is correct. However, if you're looking at digital cameras in general, Ricoh had IBIS a year before Pentax, with the Caplio R3 small-sensor camera (aka P&S) which was released in September 2005 (the K10D came exactly a year later).
10-23-2016, 02:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The chaotic model designations have always been an irritant to my sense of order. Here is a suggestion for them: Example, 3D4g
3 - (No 1 is top of line, decreasing)
D - This is the fourth redesign of the model
4 - (Optional) The specialty of the camera (Medical, Astronomy, Landscape, Travel, Sports etc)
g - (Optional) comes with gps (or other non standard feature).

This look like terrible naming honestly. Not sexy at all This even doesn't really solve the issue as the first number match the relative position in the line/ What to do when you stop start doing MF format like Pentax did with 645D? You shift everything by 1 one number? And then when you add some FF, you shift again? except for MF? And if in 2-3 year they introduce a full frame MF that would coexist with the cropped MF?

The problem with nomenclature is that it is clear at a given moment for the new products. But then it doesn't make sense with the legacy product still sold, and soon it will not make sense with the new products you'll provide...
10-23-2016, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This look like terrible naming honestly. Not sexy at all This even doesn't really solve the issue as the first number match the relative position in the line/ What to do when you stop start doing MF format like Pentax did with 645D? You shift everything by 1 one number? And then when you add some FF, you shift again? except for MF? And if in 2-3 year they introduce a full frame MF that would coexist with the cropped MF?

The problem with nomenclature is that it is clear at a given moment for the new products. But then it doesn't make sense with the legacy product still sold, and soon it will not make sense with the new products you'll provide...
The format can be placed in the third or even fourth row. For example MF could be #1, so:
a top line MF wuth wifi and gps would be:
1D1gw
You know it is top line, fourth version medium format with gps and wifi
One can change the order I suppose, but it should be standard.