Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Luminous Landscape Pentax K1 review

There is a very good and long K1 review on the Luminous Landscape website today Luminous Landscape | Passionate Photographic Enthusiast by Mordon O'Hare. There are also additional discussions in the Forum Cameras, Lenses and Shooting section dealing primarily about the K1 and landscape photography. Paul Caldwell user name Paul 2660 who moved to the K-1 and is a professional photographer started a thread too. He switched to the K-1 from Nikon and is quite enamored with the K1.

Jay

10-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it's paywalled...
10-23-2016, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Yes you do have to be a member there now to see their content. A shame I guess, but $12/year is pretty reasonable too.

The review itself reads very familiar, I could swear I've seen it elsewhere via a link on the forums.

Well, I thought it must be out there so a quick Google of 'Morden O'hare K-1 review' will track it down and voila! This link takes you to the review at his website here: Pentax K-1 Landscape Photography Review ? Morden O'Hare | Photography

Tas
10-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think no one denies that K-1 is a truly spectacular camera these days Even mentioned at m43 forums once, and to my amusement no one raged at me and told me I'm an idiot for going full frame.

10-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think they allow you to read the first article for free. So, it might be interesting to those who've not visited the site before....
10-24-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
welcome to the 21st century of journalism.
10-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't paid and I was able to read the article...just click.

10-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think so, I was able to read the review without joining.
10-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Also paywalled for me. It looks like you can read an article or two then the text becomes "Lorem ipsum..." and greyed out on a grey background (just in case you read latin). Odd choice here when the author has it for free on their website.

Also, the waybackwhen machine seems to have a subscription:

The Pentax K-1 Review - Luminous Landscape
10-24-2016, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
This past summer, Michael Reichmann, who was the principal of the website, died of cancer. At about the same time, there were other changes going on. In the past, the forum was open, but the software training videos and workshop videos were purchased.New product videos and others were generally free, but could not be downloaded. The master change was to open all of the videos to all members for a fee of $1.00 per month paid in a single payment of $12.00 (US). You could not download the videos, but you had access to everything, any day anytime. If you did not join, you could look at the forum, but you were limited if you were not a member. Almost all members joined, for at $12.00 per year it was a really good deal.

The forum with members discussing the K1 is recent and most of the discussions have been quite good. The only complaint has been the lack of high quality lenses since most of what is shown in the forum is landscape. Most of the members are full time photographers or serious amateurs and almost everything is landscape with some macro. One of the best things they do is equipment and software reviews, and helping members with technical issues as to software, hardware and printing. Their product reviews are very good, but they mostly review, to some extent, the full frame DSLRs, the mirror less full frame cameras and some to the smaller systems. This is the first time I have seen reviews by a member on the K1 with the exception of the 645Z which has been very popular among the medium format members since they first came out. They are very good as to printer and other photography products including software.

Jay
10-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Also paywalled for me. It looks like you can read an article or two then the text becomes "Lorem ipsum..." and greyed out on a grey background (just in case you read latin). Odd choice here when the author has it for free on their website.

Also, the waybackwhen machine seems to have a subscription:

The Pentax K-1 Review - Luminous Landscape
That is interesting. Not sure why I was able to get to the article. The author also posted the review on his own website.
Here is the link
Pentax K-1 Landscape Photography Review ? Morden O'Hare | Photography
10-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by am1wayfarer Quote
That is interesting. Not sure why I was able to get to the article.
I'd guess they just track the ip address of visitors and after viewing a set number of articles you'll be cut off (unless you're a paid subscriber). They may limit it to a set number of articles per day, or per week, or whatever. Most other paywalled websites I've been to that give you a few freebies will clearly state that's what they're doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by am1wayfarer Quote
The author also posted the review on his own website.
Here is the link
Pentax K-1 Landscape Photography Review ? Morden O'Hare | Photography
Yes, and this is why it's kinda odd - hiding content behind a paywall when it's available freely elsewhere. I'd expect most of the stuff on Luminous Landscape is exclusive to them, but it's odd to not flip the switch for freely available things, or to not ensure your article is exclusive. (I'd think the waybackwhen machine loophole is an oversight on Luminous Landscape's part)
10-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Its on Facebook in the pentax FF group.