Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I dont have any samsung kit, but my Parents each both have GX-1S models - on my recommendation. The reason? has Pentax great IQ and the price was a mere 250 with Kit lens, cheaper than many prosumer compact bridge cameras, and better IQ obviously.

as regard to Syb's question, the bayonet on the Samsung, is exactly the same as Pentax, I know I put a couple of my Lenses on my mothers Samsung, and works just the same.

The Samsung badged lenses are exactly the same as the Pentax models, made in the same factory, only they have different coatings on the optics.

Already my Mums photos have come on leaps and bounds with having a DSLR (my dad only got his at Christmas) so we have two more happy users.
off hand, does anyone know if the Schneider coatings are superior/inferior to the pentax coatings? or does it just slightly change the color cast?

01-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
off hand, does anyone know if the Schneider coatings are superior/inferior to the pentax coatings? or does it just slightly change the color cast?
Amateur Photographer magazine here in the UK recently tested the Samsung/Pentax 12-24's and 50-200's side-by-side and found that the light transmission of the Samsung variants was marginally better than the Pentax ones (although by such a tiny amount as to be un-noticeable to the human eye - we're talking lab measurements here). In all other respects the lenses performed in an identical fashion with tiny differences being no more than you'd expect from two random samples of the same lens.

Any colour casts are now compensated for by the camera's white balance system meaning that (unlike on film) this isn't an issue either.

In conclusion, there is absolutely no difference between lenses badged as Pentax and lenses badged as Samsung/Schneider - unsuprising as they're almost certainly made on the same production lines by the same people from the same components.
01-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #18

I have a Samsung GX-10 and really love the camera, however if I were to do it again I think I would just go ahead and spend the extra money and get the Pentax K10D. Only because I can't buy the Samsung battery grip or lens here in the USA.

So no fault of the camera, just hard to buy add-ons for it in the U.S. Again I love the Camera it self.