Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many people here use SAMSUNG models?

Hi,

As the title says..... Who here uses the SAMSUNG models?

GX-1S
GX-1L
GX-10

I have had the GX-1L since August last year and thus far have had a blast with it. It's been my first proper dSLR after using a couple of digicams (DiMage7 and Coolpix 8700) and is the nearest thing to 35mm phtography without actually using film.

Oh, I must say that here in the UK the pricing is very competitive. An equivalent *ist DL with kit lens was £550 whilst the Samsung supplied with a pair of rebadged Pentax lenses is £400. A real no-brainer for those not bothered about having the big brand name (if Pentax is that anyway).

So who else is on the Samsung wagon?

02-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the istDL and the K10D, but had the Samsung versions been as readily available I would have considered them. Here in the US the Samsung version is not very plentiful for some reason.
Some other forums I frequent have opinioned that the Samsung customer support might not be as good as Pentax, and that firmware updates might not be very often. I have already had one update on each body. Have there been any posted for the Samsungs? BTW, the Pentax versions will not work on the Samsung cameras.

Walt
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a gx-1l and a k10d. I had the k10d first, then bought the samsung as a backup. I've been using the gx alot lately. I really like it. I leave the k10d for the more important assignments and use the samsung as my everyday/beater.
02-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't have the Samsung, but heavily considering it as a backup body. They have a GX-1L body and kit for $700 in their display case.

02-15-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've got the GX-1S and both the SA 18-55 and the SA 50-200.
02-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Got several Samsung

Hi, I'm new here!

Currently we have 2 x Samsung GX10 one Samsung GX1S and one Pentax DL2.

Originally brought the GX 1S when there was a cheap 2 lens offer here in the UK just before last Summer.
We would have liked another one but the offer had gone so brought a Pentax DL2 instead for my wife.

Then this year saw I the offer with Argos for the GX10 and twin kit lens @ £600 and went for it

We were out the following weekend taking photos and swapped cameras - Gx10 for DL2. My wife could immediately see the how much better it was for handling and responsiveness. This really meant the end of the DL2.

Unfortunately Argos no longer had any GX10's but a local camera shop had one in with one lens @£600. After pointing out that it was a bit dear compared to other retailers we got it with the 18-55 for £550 and a bit of muttering from him!

We are probabaly going to hang on to the GX 1S but not the DL2.

By the way I have no problem with the Samsung name on my camera which I feel may put off some people.

Regards Molyball
02-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question from an ignorant Pentax user
I'm assuming the GX 1L is equivalent to the *ist DL2
the GX 1S is equivalent to the *ist DS2
and the GX 10 is equivalent to the K10D?

Is there no Samsung equivalent to the K100D?

NaCl(it's good to know these things)H2O

02-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Question from an ignorant Pentax user
I'm assuming the GX 1L is equivalent to the *ist DL2
the GX 1S is equivalent to the *ist DS2
and the GX 10 is equivalent to the K10D?

Is there no Samsung equivalent to the K100D?

NaCl(it's good to know these things)H2O
No there isn't, that is all Pentax.

Does it count if i am using the Samsung 50-200 :P
01-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Syb
Veteran Member

Pentung or Samtax... lens compatibility?

If Samsung is doing more than merely rebadging, that would be Ok. But do I understand that a Samsung Bayonet is different from a Pentax one? All the Pentax glass useless on a Sammy?

Syb
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I dont have any samsung kit, but my Parents each both have GX-1S models - on my recommendation. The reason? has Pentax great IQ and the price was a mere £250 with Kit lens, cheaper than many prosumer compact bridge cameras, and better IQ obviously.

as regard to Syb's question, the bayonet on the Samsung, is exactly the same as Pentax, I know I put a couple of my Lenses on my mothers Samsung, and works just the same.

The Samsung badged lenses are exactly the same as the Pentax models, made in the same factory, only they have different coatings on the optics.

Already my Mums photos have come on leaps and bounds with having a DSLR (my dad only got his at Christmas) so we have two more happy users.
01-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sorry about the multi posting, the wireless is playing up
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
But do I understand that a Samsung Bayonet is different from a Pentax one? All the Pentax glass useless on a Sammy?Syb
Absolutely FALSE. The lenses are completely interchangeable.

There are minor "feel" changes in the body dimensions. I had a GX-10 but the handgrip is about 5mm longer from back to front and I found it mattered with my small hands. I got an even trade for a Pentax and took it. The battery holder grip extensions are slightly different too. Otherwise, IIRC, they are identical but for the name (there is something different about RAW processing but I don't use it anyway).

So I've had both and loved each. If you have BIG hands, you really might find the GX-10 to be a better fit.
01-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
Forum Member

I've got the GX-1S ... The only downside I feel is that Samsung have been slow to bring out the firmware updates compared to Pentax.
01-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #14

I use GX-10 and completely happy with it. And yes, Samsung has exact same mount as Pentax does. Same lenses are usable. They even manufactured on the same plant, and it seems (VERY likely) that they have one serial numbering even. At least serial numbers of GX-10's and K10's are veeery close to eachother if their manufacturing dates are close too.

BTW I guess K10D will continue to exist and being manufactured in the form of GX-10, because samsung's press release about GX-20 said something like "now we have a full line of DSLRs".
01-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #15

I have the GX-10. Buying it rather than the K10D was a total no brainer as far as I'm concerned. With kit lens and including cashback, it set me back £400.