Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #1

K1od Shutter Won't Function

I have a K10d that won't release the shutter. I have tried a fully charged battery and a different SanDisk card. When I press the shutter, I hear a low sound in the camera.

Additional info - this happened when using a SMC takumar on a genuine pentax adapter. I tired it also with an "M" lens and a tamron auto focus zoom. I have also tried moving the focus switch from "MF" to "AF". Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions? Am I left with calling up pentax, it is still under warranty.

Thanks.

07-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will the shutter work with no lens atached ? Set manual mode on the dial and manual focus.
07-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Moo

Try lifting the mirror.. very gently.. if its stuck that could explain the problem..
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'll try both suggestions. I'd be surprised if the shttuer will work w/o a lens. The screw mount adapter doesn't provide any contacts to the body (as far as I know).

I'll try the mirror approach as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the camera is set to manual focus and in the M mode it will fire with just the body cap on. A lens is not needed as long as it's working normally. If these first suggestions don't work, go into the custom settings and reset the camera. Then take the battery out overnight and try it tomorrow. If that doesn't get it going, I'm not sure what might be happening. It is a genuine Pentax battery correct?
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
This is what I am afraid of. The camera is 7 months old and is using the original battery that came with it. I have never had a problem firing the shutter before and have used all different types of lenses on it.

I re-set the camera settings as well. That didn't work. I have had the battery out for a couple of hours. I'll try leaving it out all night.

Thanks for the response.
07-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recharge it over night as well so you know that it is totally full when you test the camera tomorrow. I'd be surprised if the battery is having issues this soon but it's possible. Mine is 1.5 years old now and lots of use. Still gives 600+ shots on a charge.

07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

do you have a DA or FA or even an A lens to try? is the camera set to release when the aperture ring is in a position other than A?
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
I tried all suggestions. No luck.

I can hear a motor running in the camera. Looks like I am calling customer service.

Thanks for the help.
07-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did you try manual focus? The camera won't fire on AF-S if the focus is off. So, if the focus drive is jammed, it won't fire on AF-S...Then, maybe I'm wrong, but it is worth trying anyway.