Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
dewolf

questions about K3 vs K5IIs AF paired with the DA* 300mm F4

Presently have a K5IIs with a DA* 300 F4. Curious about how well that lens pairs up with the K3, specifically the K3 mach 1 which will be more affordable.
The literature for each camera defines or implies a different type or design of AF detection. Is there a big difference ? does the K3 tend to hunt less ?
I can crop plenty deep now with the 16mp K5IIs, I would imagine there would be an even deeper crop possible with the 24mp K3.
Would like this input from owners of both and the lens. I am looking to renew my goal of getting the K3 by May 2017 if the original; is still available.
Accuracy of the new K3's built in astro tracker would also be appreciated in case the old version isn't available.

Thanks to all

Dewolf

10-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Presently have a K5IIs with a DA* 300 F4. Curious about how well that lens pairs up with the K3, specifically the K3 mach 1 which will be more affordable.
The literature for each camera defines or implies a different type or design of AF detection. Is there a big difference ? does the K3 tend to hunt less ?
I can crop plenty deep now with the 16mp K5IIs, I would imagine there would be an even deeper crop possible with the 24mp K3.
Would like this input from owners of both and the lens. I am looking to renew my goal of getting the K3 by May 2017 if the original; is still available.
Accuracy of the new K3's built in astro tracker would also be appreciated in case the old version isn't available.

Thanks to all

Dewolf
I came from a k30 to a k3. not sure the difference between focusing between the k5 and the k30 but i didn't notice a massive difference with focus on this lens with the K3 although there was an improvement. The difference seems to be only in the speed and accuracy of initial focus. Tracking on the K3 is still absolutely useless, the same as the K30. Where i did notice a really good improvement was with screw drive lenses like the 55-300, focus speed on that feels like its twice as fast now, it almost felt like the drive was going to break the lens the first few times i used it it was so snappy.
The difference coming from 16MP to 24MP was massive though.
10-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by markcphoto Quote
I came from a k30 to a k3. not sure the difference between focusing between the k5 and the k30 but i didn't notice a massive difference with focus on this lens with the K3 although there was an improvement. The difference seems to be only in the speed and accuracy of initial focus. Tracking on the K3 is still absolutely useless, the same as the K30. Where i did notice a really good improvement was with screw drive lenses like the 55-300, focus speed on that feels like its twice as fast now, it almost felt like the drive was going to break the lens the first few times i used it it was so snappy.
The difference coming from 16MP to 24MP was massive though.
well that's good to know about the screw drive. so if this lens has an SDM failure I can convert it to screw drive and have faster AF. Tracking on the K5iis is pretty good, I'd say it manages to stay on focus 80% of the time IF I stay on the target. I cant blame the lens for my slowness lol. I love my 55-3400, its really sharp, but anything from F4.5-7 is useless, that's where this DA* shines
10-25-2016, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi dewolf

I have a K3 and a DA*300mm and I find it a wonderful combination.

I shoot most of my outdoors sports with them, and the sharpness and overall look of the images always pleases me.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go this route.

I have hundreds of images shot with this lens on Flickr if you'd care to see some.

Fred.

10-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Hi dewolf

I have a K3 and a DA*300mm and I find it a wonderful combination.

I shoot most of my outdoors sports with them, and the sharpness and overall look of the images always pleases me.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go this route.

I have hundreds of images shot with this lens on Flickr if you'd care to see some.

Fred.
Great shots, and action as well. I noticed you shot many with ISO around 3200, something the K5iis doesnt seem to like doing. anything on mine above 1000 iso gets pretty nasty and noisy, so the K3 must manage noise a little better.
Of course I was drawn tot he bird shots, thats my area lol.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Cant wait ot have a K3 in my hands

Dewolf
11-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
well that's good to know about the screw drive. so if this lens has an SDM failure I can convert it to screw drive and have faster AF. Tracking on the K5iis is pretty good, I'd say it manages to stay on focus 80% of the time IF I stay on the target. I cant blame the lens for my slowness lol. I love my 55-3400, its really sharp, but anything from F4.5-7 is useless, that's where this DA* shines
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that you can't use the K3 body to do the SDM to Screw drive conversion. So you would have to keep your K5IIs. One other thing to keep in mind, if you are a JPEG shooter you won't be happy with the k3 after using the K5IIs. I had both and sold the K3 and still use the K5IIs. If you shoot RAW and take the time to edit everything manually then the K3 is the way to go.
11-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that you can't use the K3 body to do the SDM to Screw drive conversion. So you would have to keep your K5IIs. One other thing to keep in mind, if you are a JPEG shooter you won't be happy with the k3 after using the K5IIs. I had both and sold the K3 and still use the K5IIs. If you shoot RAW and take the time to edit everything manually then the K3 is the way to go.
yea I always shoot Raw DNG files. A shame about the non conversion issue with K3. Have considered buying a new K5iis because I like it so much. But the xtra MP would be handy for cropping

11-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do the conversion then sell the old body.

11-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Why is that? Is the K3 noticeably poorer at doing high quality JPEGS?
11-20-2016, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Why is that? Is the K3 noticeably poorer at doing high quality JPEGS?
The high ISO noise is more prevalent in the K3 ooc jpegs due to the different sensor. I noticed it right away and just about hit the roof. If you have the time and desire to edit every single raw file photo to you take then the K3 is a real wicked camera. But if you pick and choose the ones to edit but would still like to keep the rest and just use the jpeg and have them be decent, then the K5IIs or K5II is your huckleberry.
11-21-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The high ISO noise is more prevalent in the K3 ooc jpegs due to the different sensor. I noticed it right away and just about hit the roof. If you have the time and desire to edit every single raw file photo to you take then the K3 is a real wicked camera. But if you pick and choose the ones to edit but would still like to keep the rest and just use the jpeg and have them be decent, then the K5IIs or K5II is your huckleberry.
Good to know as I shoot JPEGs and was intending to buy a K-3.