Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
Currently I shoot landscape architecture and small building projects for my clients
The K50 is very capable for this being viewed online.I would suggest renting a K1(you have lenses that may function well) then compare images from K50 to K1 online.

QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
I'm thinking that I might move up to a full frame camera but the choices are overwhelming.
If you are working as a professional you must have a camera that records to 2 cards(they fail sometimes).You must have 2 of those cameras(cameras fail sometimes)

You must have rugged,durable and be able to withstand the elements.

K1....you can get 2 for the price of one of those "other" brands.

10-25-2016, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 2 cents: Salgado - a worldwide famous artist - used Pentax 67 for a lot of time in his work. Give me a Pentax 67 and I'll be fortunate to perform just a single frame of his level in an entire lifetime. It's a matter of skills and artistic sensibility. No matter the tool. All we are professionals in different sectors: few are pro in photography but each of us knows that in our profession the added value is US - the person behind the tool. It's you that reach your goals , not your camera.

Pentax offers high-end APS-C, FF and still now medium format (cropped, I know) for ultimate quality (may I say PRO-grade?) work and neither Canon or Nikon ever made a single MF camera. As said dozen time before in this thread: if you shoot still imagery there's no need to switch brand.
10-25-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had the type of client that John-TO seems to have, I would be shooting Fuji Velvia in my Pentax Spotmatic and scanning the results. No memory cards to fail. If you are worried about the Spottie failing than you can buy two or three more of them and have them all serviced for less than what a new K-1 costs. I could probably even pick up a spare plustek scanner and another inexpensive laptop and still spend less.

Of course, that's just me.
10-25-2016, 12:19 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I am a diehard Pentax fan because all I do is still work and Pentax K1 and the Pentax system delivers with flying colors. I am facing a real life situation myself. We are doing a marketing project for a client that involves stills but they want 1080P video to be used on their web site and at trade shows. I know Sony has plenty of video capable bodies and lenses and will deliver top notch video and stills. I do not have any Sony equipment. I am afraid if the next project and the next one after that call for video again, I should look at a Sony switch. I hate the thought but as you know, professional workflow dictates what gear to use.
This...exactly.

My definition of "pro" is an attempt at the highest craft, for the most money.
In 2016, most professional work that has photography, has video.
There is *no* stopping it. If you consider yourself a photographer, then you are also a cinematographer. You can be a purist, or you can live in 6 figures and run with change.
What kind of pro do you want to be? No shame in your choice, just pick it, and do your best creative work with the best tools.

All over these forums I've shown my cinema work using the K5, K3 and K1 cameras, so Pentax gets in there when needed. I have lamented on deaf ears, so I won't do it again.

I create a multimedia piece every single day on average. Last year I singlehandedly created over 250 discrete pieces for various projects.

I will never need to endorse any product to pad my bottom line. I will forever be behind the camera(s). I *need* to create things. I became a creative professional here on Pentax Forums, and I will forever be a Pentaxian. If it were not for Pentax cameras following with me, it would have been a different life.

There are two cameras that sit on my desk ready to go at a moment's notice.

A Sony FS7 with their 28-135 f/4, full extension for batteries, VCT-14 and shoulder ready, NTG-4, Sony Wireless Lav, all part of a full ENG setup.

and I have my K1. 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, batteries, filters and a flash or two.

It would be nice to leave the FS7 on my desk in a run and gun situation, but the FS7 is a pure visual and technical machine. It's addictive to work with stellar hardware making creative things.

It could have happened for Pentax/Ricoh, but they chose not to make it so.
Close, but not good enough.

Choose your path (and tools) wisely.

10-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #50

I shoot weddings with my K-3 and K-5 and seem to be doing so successfully. I guess I'll still be an amateur until I switch to Canikon?

On a serious note, your gear is just the tool to get the job done. Professional photographer = paid photographer. Skills in photography is another discussion, which is often confused with the term amateur photography.

Don't let the gear you use be the final deciding factor...
10-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I see a lot of people recommending the K-1 for the OP's requirements.

While I own that camera myself, and have not used the K-3 once since getting the K-1, the truth is that the K-3 or K-3 II is much less expensive, and has the capabilities to shoot what the OP requires. Easily. APS-C cameras are less expensive, lenses are smaller and also less expensive, Pentax has a fantastic lineup of APS-C lenses that rival anyone else.

The K-1 is a more advanced camera, and I enjoy using it more than the K-3, but it's also much more expensive and larger.

Even the K50's sensor is superb. depending on the required size for enlargement, 16 MP might be enough. I'd advise spending money on better lenses before spending it on a better body. The only reasons for upgrading the body would be

1-appearances and perceptions
2-need for more resolution
3-need for better controls
4-need for extra features

Otherwise, buy lenses and be happy!
10-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
be happy!
Yes and theres no way to be happier than with a pair of K1s earning the $$$$$

10-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Pentax/Richo offers no warranty on WR. If water gets in, regardless of failure, IT IS YOUR FAULT!
A prior repair facility damage the weather seals and the camera flooded in a light rain. Pentax would do nothing for me.
They would not stand behind the product, nor did they have any interest in the problem caused by a company that had a poor reputation and known history of failing to repair my products a dozen times.
Sorry you have first hand experience with this! But yea, that was my point, Nikon doesn't back their WR with a warranty and neither does Pentax/Ricoh so that's not a plus for Pentax. I'd be willing to believe Pentax has better WR, especially in the lower price brackets, but they sure don't back it with a warranty.
10-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #54

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your contribution to this thread. There certainly were a range of opinions.

I was pretty sure that Pentax "could" do the job—the poor lens scores from DXOMark notwithstanding—I just wasn't sure if it was the best "system" choice for the long term. As someone just starting the photography part of my business I don't need my gear working against me either in terms of how I am perceived, or in terms of barriers regarding availability of lenses and accessories. Even though I live in a large Canadian city, an internet search did not bring up any companies that rent Pentax here. I checked with one of the big lens rental companies in the US and they DO NOT rent across the border. Even when I go into one of the major local camera stores Pentax gear almost always has to be ordered in with delivery times ranging from weeks to months. I love Pentax. Ergonomically it feels great. It seems to have great build quality. It definitely delivers great value. I'm a little concerned about the choice of lenses.

I think what I'm going to do is see about buying some used glass to upgrade one of my lenses and add a wide angle lens and a macro and use them along with what I have while I make darn sure my photography (and my post processing) gets to where it needs to be for the work I am doing. When the quality I want to deliver exceeds what I am able to get out of my existing gear then I will move up. (I like the comment that your clients dictate the equipment you need.) There was lots of fabulous photography shot with cameras not nearly as advanced as the one I have. I'll focus on getting my skills up to the equipment first, and making some money in the process. Then, assuming I still love it and things are progressing, I will be able to make a more informed choice. Heck, maybe I'll find that what I have works well enough and I can invest in a trip to take some pictures instead.

Thanks again,

John

PS. I've just started doing video too so that is another consideration. Argh! Lots to consider. Too many choices.
10-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Even the K50's sensor is superb. depending on the required size for enlargement, 16 MP might be enough. I'd advise spending money on better lenses before spending it on a better body.

Agreed! I had a photography professor second-shoot an event with me; I had my K-30, 16-50 and 50-135; she had a full-frame Canon and a kit lens zoom and had much more trouble working in low-light than I did (though we both struggled!).
10-25-2016, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
This...exactly.

My definition of "pro" is an attempt at the highest craft, for the most money.
In 2016, most professional work that has photography, has video.
There is *no* stopping it. If you consider yourself a photographer, then you are also a cinematographer. You can be a purist, or you can live in 6 figures and run with change.
What kind of pro do you want to be? No shame in your choice, just pick it, and do your best creative work with the best tools.

All over these forums I've shown my cinema work using the K5, K3 and K1 cameras, so Pentax gets in there when needed. I have lamented on deaf ears, so I won't do it again.

I create a multimedia piece every single day on average. Last year I singlehandedly created over 250 discrete pieces for various projects.

I will never need to endorse any product to pad my bottom line. I will forever be behind the camera(s). I *need* to create things. I became a creative professional here on Pentax Forums, and I will forever be a Pentaxian. If it were not for Pentax cameras following with me, it would have been a different life.

There are two cameras that sit on my desk ready to go at a moment's notice.

A Sony FS7 with their 28-135 f/4, full extension for batteries, VCT-14 and shoulder ready, NTG-4, Sony Wireless Lav, all part of a full ENG setup.

and I have my K1. 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, batteries, filters and a flash or two.

It would be nice to leave the FS7 on my desk in a run and gun situation, but the FS7 is a pure visual and technical machine. It's addictive to work with stellar hardware making creative things.

It could have happened for Pentax/Ricoh, but they chose not to make it so.
Close, but not good enough.

Choose your path (and tools) wisely.
Thanks for all the excellent pointers. BTW, I watched the music video and forgot to comment on it. You did a fantastic job on that project. I always marvel at how these videos are made. Great job.
10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Going Pro is serious decision...

Do you know the story behind that picture???
10-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I want to read "The LaurenOE Story" as a more verbose version of her post above of how she got to where she is today.
10-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Don't let the gear you use be the final deciding factor...
Amen to that. I don't mess with video. Stills are all I do. And when you know the system and it is all you use then Pentax can deliver as good and in some respects better than any other system. I shoot weddings and portraits and Pentax delivers the goods for weddings and portraits. So if using Pentax makes me amateur I will be a paid amateur instead of a pro.
10-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #60

A couple of months ago I went to a free photo seminar on Travel Photography. The "Real Pro" who showed his work and also gave many helpful hints did no use a Pentax, Cannon, Nikon or Sony. Yes he used an Olympus micro 4/3's for all his work. He had spectacular photos and a number of magazine cover shots. The one point he made over and over again was that he was told that you can not be a "PRO" with out using a full frame Cannon or Nikon which he laughed at. The quality generated by a lowly micro 4/3s was good enough for mags and many other publications. The point he made was that technique and the photographer was most important. Is seams that Olympus is subject to the same prejudice as Pentax which is an injustice. I used Olympus for film and now I use Pentax, guess I love being on the outside.