Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Am I the Only Wanting Red Focus Peaking on My Pentax?

Well, having switched from Sony MILC, I am satisfied with my K-S2, except the focus peaking, which has only white. I miss the red focus peaking of my Sony.

Will Pentax ever introduce red focus peaking?

I am near-sighted so I do switch to LV for focus peaking and zooming when my eyes don't work with the OVF (with magnification eye-cup).

Sincerely

P.S. I accidentally sent this to the wrong forum, admin please help move this to "DSLR Discussion"

Last edited by butangmucat; 10-24-2016 at 09:55 PM.
10-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm game. I hate the white.
10-24-2016, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I would like a few options like being able to choose white, red and yellow
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Im good with zebra pattern.... but Red, Yellow, Blue or Green are better, i can work with white but it could be more easy a more contrasty color.

10-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is one of those things along with no % battery meter that I hate about digital camera interfaces: not very customizable in some respects. I think red would be awesome too!
10-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I vote yes. My nx300 can be focused on stars (manually) thanks to red peaking!
10-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
This is one of those things along with no % battery meter that I hate about digital camera interfaces: not very customizable in some respects. I think red would be awesome too!
Coloured focus peaking would be great, but I wouldn't be in favour of a battery meter that tries to be that precise. Given that we can swap batteries, I don't have confidence that the engineers can produce a reliable meter estimate.

10-24-2016, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I definitely think they should add more options, including making the focus peaking threshold more sensitive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2016, 01:06 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the features on my A99-based HV is the ability to change the colour and strength of the focus peaking. It's really useful, so this gets my vote too!
10-25-2016, 01:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd get confused with the over-exposure blinkies and have to change that colour and then get confused again and .. well, I guess I might get used to it in the end
10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Being able to choose between several colors and sensitivity levels would be good. Being able to have a more acurate battery meter would be lovely. It's not rocket surgery to indicate the percentage of remaining life in a battery. Obviously how that translates to remaining shots is going to depend on what settings you're using, but even something showing 10% increments is better than "yep, I'm full... Nope, not full anymore... getting low, I guess, kinda... and "may fail any second! Oh wait, I'm yellow again" (yes, it may require a secondary screen that shows the battery's overall health, since percentage is a function of both the current capacity and the design capacity, so the raw mAh difference between 90 and 100% will change over time... but the software should be perfectly capable of even displaying the current mAh in the battery if they wanted to go into that level of detail)
Attached Images

10-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
pretty happy with it as is - one of the best modern tools for manual focusing, especially with my presbyopia.
10-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Lightroom lets you shift the overlays on masks from Green to Red to white (ok, more like translucent light grey) to black (translucent dark grey). I think I'd add yellow and blue as options just to cover the bases. Generally speaking, once you go to the effort to put in a selection menu in a program, adding additioanl options to it is pretty trivial.

If you're happy with it as is, great. I am, too, most of the time. Sometimes, I'm trying to focus on things that are very light colors and it's less helpful.

For some extra innovation, perhaps add an option to highlight the reverse, as well - make everything that's *not* sharp go to a [insert color here] tint or something. That might help considerably more for something like a f/1.2 or f/.95 lens (or macro shots) than only highlighting the in-focus area, since it could remove distractions.
10-25-2016, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Being able to choose between several colors and sensitivity levels would be good. Being able to have a more acurate battery meter would be lovely. It's not rocket surgery to indicate the percentage of remaining life in a battery. Obviously how that translates to remaining shots is going to depend on what settings you're using, but even something showing 10% increments is better than "yep, I'm full... Nope, not full anymore... getting low, I guess, kinda... and "may fail any second! Oh wait, I'm yellow again" (yes, it may require a secondary screen that shows the battery's overall health, since percentage is a function of both the current capacity and the design capacity, so the raw mAh difference between 90 and 100% will change over time... but the software should be perfectly capable of even displaying the current mAh in the battery if they wanted to go into that level of detail)
On the battery, I'm pretty sure that the macbook uses hardware (a fuel gauge chip) on the battery in order to do this. It is a very difficult problem to report accurate charge in a replaceable battery system, as when a new battery is swapped in, the age and charge levels are unknown.
10-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #15

I'm in, red focus peaking would be nice.