Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Best DSLR replacement?

Hi all, I bought a Pentax K-30 3 years ago that I've rarely used. When I bought it, I expected to use it on a daily basis but it pretty much is only used on special occasions or events which aren't often since my lifestyle has changed. Don't really want to part with it because the image quality is just so great but it's the best thing to do right now. I want to replace it with a newer compact Pentax digital camera that is as close to DSLR image quality as possible. So Pentaxians, which camera is the best replacement for me? Ricoh GR? I've been under a rock for the last few years and don't really have the time to research a great replacement.

10-26-2016, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why not a mobile phone? I mean, the best camera is the one you have with you and all...

M
10-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you didn't want to just use your phone, the Canon G7x/Sony RX100 style 1" sensor cameras will be great, but pricey.
10-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sony RX100 style 1" sensor cameras will be great, but pricey.
+1 on this. My "second" camera (well maybe fourth.... ) is a Sony RX100. You can notice the difference in some images especially those taken at the extremes but for general use it is very good, compact and well made. But pricey. Consider a used last generation one from ebay that is what I did.

10-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I dont want to sound insensitive, but why not try using it more? Go on a photo hike, use it as an excuse to visit new places, take a series of portraits of people near you, join the Single in challenge or participate in the monthly forum contest. Of course, you have your reasons - do as you wish. Consider this just as friendly encouragement

That said, smartphones can be fairly good. Maybe a small Q, but it would be wise to wait a little to see if Pentax will announce the next Q model, or kill the line.
Problem with anything more compact than Pentax is that it will either deliver much worse image quality, or it will cost much much more.
10-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a used Panasonic GM1 for under $200, plus around $75 for a kit lens (14-42ii). That is Q-size but with a much larger Four Thirds sensor, touch screen and plenty of features. They make retractable kit lenses (12-32mm or 14-42G X), they cost more but then the kit fits into most pockets.
10-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Along the mobile phone line, my Wife's Samsung S6 takes pretty impressive photos, a big step up from my iPhone 5. There are also some pretty handy editing tools built in. Just a thought.

10-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For a phn/camera a good option/s is/are Samdung S4 zoom or Samdung K .zoom.Point and shoot while zooming 24-240mm.Both ring dingthings are Noted to not catch fire!
10-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amayers3 Quote
I've been under a rock for the last few years and don't really have the time to research a great replacement.
After all the replies, you will and should do this anyway. No excuse.
10-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've been under a rock for the last few years and don't really have the time to research a great replacement.
After all the replies, you will and should do this anyway. No excuse :-)
10-26-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all, I bought a Pentax K-30 3 years ago that I've rarely used. When I bought it, I expected to use it on a daily basis but it pretty much is only used on special occasions or events which aren't often since my lifestyle has changed. Don't really want to part with it because the image quality is just so great but it's the best thing to do right now. I want to replace it with a newer compact Pentax digital camera that is as close to DSLR image quality as possible. So Pentaxians, which camera is the best replacement for me? Ricoh GR? I've been under a rock for the last few years and don't really have the time to research a great replacement.
The GR is really capable within a very limited envelope. It is a fixed focal length option (28mm full frame equivalent). So if that perspective is your cup of tea then go for it! If you want more flexibility, then you are likely leaving the brand unless the QS1 appeals to you. The Q series cameras are quite interesting but their future seems a little stagnant and unfocused. They are based on small sensors but offer fully interchangeable lenses.

Other options are the Panasonic LX7, LF1, LX100, any small micro 4/3 camera (gx1, gm5, etc.), Sony rx100...

Really maybe budget, plus size ideas, plus any other factors would help narrow the field.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 12:23 AM ----------

Q related thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/332605-omg-what-have-i-become.html
10-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want to replace it with a newer compact Pentax digital camera that is as close to DSLR image quality as possible.
"DSLR image quality" is the result of many things including:

a) Larger aperture lenses.
b) Ease of controls for changing aperture, shutter speed, focus, etc.
c) Sensor size.

In a non-DSLR, you are sacrificing many of these things, but it sounds like you really want something smaller and lighter.

With the Ricoh GRII you will get a 16 MP APS-C sensor similar to your K-30 with the added bonus of no OLPF in a compact package that can shoot RAW DNG.

The main trade-off? No optical viewfinder, a fixed wide angle f/2.8 lens, and no weather-proofing. For me, those would deal breakers, at which point Iʻd seriously consider the Pentax QS-1 which would give me interchangeable lenses or the soon to be release Kodak Ektra Android Phone/Camera.
Kodak releases Ektra smartphone targeted at photographers

I love the convenience of cell phones, my iPad mini, etc, but I still shoot MF, FF, and APS-C DSLRs (depending on my objectives, no pun intended) because each has its place that the other designs arenʻt engineered for.
10-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Your K30 won't be worth much, so I'd advise hanging on to it, but, if you really do want to change it, then take a look at a Fuji X30 (now discontinued so difficult to find new), or a Panasonic LX100.
10-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another question is what lens do you use with it? Is lens size part of the problem? If so, maybe a compact prime would help... I agree that the GR is very good, but the fixed focal length is limiting. Meanwhile it is often the camera I have, so... I have used my Fuji X100 as much, but it is a bit quirky to use, takes getting used to, and is a little bigger, too. I use my K-3 the most with compact lenses unless I'm going to work, then the GR is with me and my phone. There is size, but then ease of use and versatility, as well.
10-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was in a situation where I needed to lighten my kit, but I didn't want to buy a whole new system, I just needed something with IQ and small. I also didn't want to spend a lot of $$. I was between the Ricoh GR and Fuji X100 Original.

I purchased the x100 original.

Why?
1. IQ
2. Focal Range (35mm eq)
3. No dust issues (well known with the GR)
4. Price

The original x100 is still considered viable and superior by many fans. After this camera, they switched image sensors. I have read many reviews of the x100 and there are many people buying them used in 2016 to see what the hype is all about. I can tell you the hype is real, the camera is solid and for for the used price, you can't beat it. I purchased mine for $400 from KEH with a warranty. Mine is basically flawless, and in my short time with it, I have taken some of my favorite shots EVER with it. Why? The camera is with me, it is fun, it delivers the goods every time.

It isn't a perfect camera tho, AF in low light can be rough, especially when you are used to what the K-30 can do. If you can adapt to its weakness, you can still make it work.

So, I vote x100 original. If you opt for the x100s or t, you could spend 800-1300 on it.

Now, if only I could pry it from my wife's hands.....