Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

How to Smash your K10D on a Rock

I had gotten my K10D in December and had it for a few weeks. Then began my tale of woe. I went hiking to take a few pics in the bush. The previous night, there was freezing rain and it coated the whole town in ice that made everything slippery. I remember, while hiking, stepping on a large rock and immediately losing my footing. I fell, the camera fell and I ended up smashing it on a rock. I can't tell you how much I swore and yelled. It was quite entertaining. Luckily, the damage was located to the viewfinder and diopter. Unluckily, I sent my camera to a "authorized pentax repair shop" rather than Pentax Canada. I ended up waiting a month and a half because of that error. Ultimately the camera went to Pentax and Pentax Canada were super helpful and friendly and fixed everything.

I found it sort of funny but definately a bummer. I couldn't even visit the forums without feeling bad because I had no camera. The camera I waited forever for, paid alot for and ended up smashing on a rock. I found out a few things though. Each time a K10D is opened up for repair and subsequently closed, it has to be resealed. I was told that every knob, button and port needed to be glued before closing the camera body. Anyway, I thought some of you would find this entertaining.

Attached Images

02-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! You gave that thing a beating! How much did you pay to get it repaired?
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #3

Some people will be admiring your photographs a couple of years from now and you'll laugh as you mention the shots were taken with a camera you smashed into a rock a couple of weeks after buyingn it.

It's very comforting to hear you had good service from Pentax Canada. One of the reasons I'm a brand new Pentax user is that I've had poor service from Canon Canada. I love many of Canon's cameras but I just couldn't bring myself to invest thousands into a system that I would hessitate to send in for repair. I certainly won't send a Canon P&S in for repair anymore; I'd throw it out. Of the three I've sent in, none came back in perfect repair (although two of them did generally work).
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wow! You gave that thing a beating! How much did you pay to get it repaired?
It cost 130 CDN after taxes.

02-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

That's not a lot of money, everything considered.

Where are you located, Kemal? I take it you're on Vancouver Island?
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kemal Quote
Shit, that is way lower then i would have expected, that is about what it cost to send a camera her in Oz for a service and clean.
02-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to see that both you and the camera are okay. I think that I would have been equally entertaining if said calamity had happened to me.

I have to agree with the others though...it sure looks like you got off dirt cheap on the repairs. My hat's off the Pentax Canada.

Stephen

02-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you purchased the camera using a credit card, it could be covered for 90 days for any lost or damages.
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear that Pentax Canada came through on this one for you.
I would have been so annoyed I can't even begin to tell you what I would have done. Suffice to say that the swear box would probably contain enough pennies to fiance another K10!
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #10

$130 is certainly very reasonable. Some shops charge a minimum of 2 hours at $60 /hr just to look at a piece of equipment and give a service estimate. Seems that Pentax Canada wants to take care of its customers (2 yr warranty in Canada too!).

Chris
02-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You are lucky to have that kind of service over there. Here in Singapore, it'd take 2 weeks just to get the sensor cleaned There was one time a friend's Ds had some problem w/ the dial at the back (the number jumped back and forth even when turning it in way direction), costed him over S$100 just to fix that ...

And most problems can't be fixed here locally, most time it has to be sent over to Japan -- that's another story ...
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ouch! It pains me to see your camera in that condition. I thought it would've cost more to fix it, $130 isn't bad at all. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed...now let's see some pictures
02-15-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and you even get a real person to talk to right away at pentax canada.... wow!
just from my experence.... great stuff!

sounds like a great price

randy
02-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #14
Forum Member

Can you blow up that picture? I want to print it and frame it!
02-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
and you even get a real person to talk to right away at pentax canada.... wow!
just from my experence.... great stuff!

sounds like a great price

randy
Randy,
Glad to hear that you can talk to a real person at Pentax Canada, seeing as how the email link on the Pentax Canada website (custserv@pentax.ca) is broken, and emails sent there get bounced back! Anyone have a valid email address for Pentax Canada?

Chris