Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Adapting lenses to my *ist DS

Is there a resource that lists the adapters required to use older or other brand lenses on my *ids DS? Until I bought my first point-n-shoot I never has auto focus or exposure. All of my film experience was strictly manual and hand meter, no internal assistance.

I found an *isd DS with two kit zoom lenses at a bargain price. I'm starting with an obviously old camera body at a very low price point. If I find that the learning curve is too steep, I don't want to be in too deep financially. If my film experience does have value, I can sell the *isd DS body and use the lenses with a more advanced body. I read that there are good Pentax primes at good prices if one is satisfied with manual operation.

I'd like to add a couple of prime lenses, a "fast 50", which would be more like a fast 35 to get a "50-like" coverage. As well, a dedicated macro lens

I see that some seem to be able to use a Canon or a Nikon or other brand lens on the Pentax body. I note that screw mount Pentax lenses can be mounted.

I've been casting about on the Pentax Forum for such a resource Perhaps one exists and I'm missing it.

10-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not mount Pentax lenses on that Pentax body?
10-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basically any K-mount lens should work on your DS (or any Pentax DSLR). The A-series have contacts to communicate with the body, so all metering/exposure functions are available (but with manual focus). The older M and K series lenses have no contacts, so must be used with "green button" metering. Any of the F or FA series autofocus lenses can be used, as well the the DA series (except for those with SDM autofocus, which your DS does not support). Most K-mount 3rd party lenses (Tokina, Sigma, Vivitar, etc. will work as well with a few exceptions. Canon or Nikon lenses will be very difficult or impossible to mount on your camera. Take a look at the lens review section for more info.

Last edited by paulh; 10-27-2016 at 06:07 PM.
10-27-2016, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html for all your earlier lens needs.

Find yourself an AF280T flash to go with it and enjoy the miracle of TTL flash, wherein the camera shuts the flash off when it's had enough exposure, not before and not after, regardless of how primitive the lens is. Later Pentax DSLRs don't have this any more, which is a crying shame.

10-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very little will adapt to Pentax without an optical adapter that acts like a teleconverter and ruins the quality. The flange focal distance is required to be longer than the native mount plus the adapter length. Additionally it can't be too wide.

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia
10-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Forget about adapting Canikon lenses for day to day use.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Since you can use basically any K-mount lens with a Pentax DSLR there are plenty of choices. If you want an autofocus 50 the F 50/1.7 is usually less than $100. The A less than $75 or the M for less than $50. The DA 35/2.4 was until recently under $100. It should be again on Black Friday...The DA 50/1.8 is around the same price.

I recently picked up a Phoenix 100mm F3.5 macro for around $80 after shipping. This is a lens that was made by Cosina and marketed under several brand names (Vivitar, Promaster, etc). It was also sold by Pentax as the FA 100/3.5 macro. It is only 1:2, but comes with a 1:1 diopter that screws into the filter ring.

If you want to upgrade the kit lens, the DA 16-45/4 can be found for less than $200 and is a big upgrade from the 18-55.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-27-2016 at 07:52 PM.
10-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Love this forum. So much to learn, so many willing to help and to present links to information.

Many Thanks,
Dan

10-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Dan! I have a K3, But I still use my *ist DS regularly. It is a great little camera, perfect for easing you into the digital world. Best of luck!
10-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Links to some great resources have already been posted here, so all I'll add is this:

You can use any modern or legacy Pentax K-mount lens just fine. Even cheap M 35mm, 50mm, etc. lenses can give you good image quality. Just stick with primes rather than zooms if you're on a budget.

While I understand it's dirt cheap that this point, I think the *ist DS will hold you back. I'd look at a used K-30, K-50, K-01, or even a K-x or K-r once you're happy with your lenses. The body upgrade should only run you $100-150.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2016, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
why not mount Pentax lenses on that Pentax body?
Indeed, why not. There is a myriad of earlier Pentax lenses as well 3rd party offerings. I should recall KISS.

Sometimes I overthink things. Co-workers used to say, "Don''t ask the time, Dan is liable to tell you how to build a watch."

Dan

---------- Post added 10-30-16 at 07:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd look at a used K-30, K-50, K-01, or even a K-x or K-r once you're happy with your lenses. The body upgrade should only run you $100-150.
Exactly!

I'm looking to make a start at a cost level that will allow me to bail with minimum pain if the learning curve is too steep or too long. I started down this path to re-visit something that I enjoyed so much years ago. Now, I have NO idea how long I will take to arrive at some elementary level of skill. My duties as husband, father and grandfather require significant time My concern is the amount of time the learning might require.

I started learning the ins and outs of photography when I was 16. I was immersed, working past-time in high school, then full time for years after. After I married and we started our family, time to pursue photography faded away. When we built our home I included a room that would become a darkroom at some later date. I "stubbed in" water supply and drain pipes. About two years ago that become our en suite bath.

So, Onward...
10-31-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Had my *istDL not suddenly died, I would probably still be using it without complaint; that 6MP sensor turns out good work. I'm almost scared to pick up an *istD or *istDS because if TTL flash on those is as good as it seems to be on my Super Program, it could relegate any full-frame plans I have to the back-burner, and might even make my K-5 obsolete!!
11-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an old thread but what about

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html