Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D Mode Dial not working with M lens?

Hi all,
Forum newbie here with questions regarding K10D Mode Dial. I currently only have the M lens with the K10D & I know it only can be use in Manual mode. But when I turn the mode dial to Green, P, Sv, Tv and Tav, somehow it all shows AV only! The actual AV shows correctly according the mode dial program on the LCD screen as well as the M, Bulb & X. Is this because the M lens attached to the camera body and with AF lens (DA, F, FA) all other modes will show correctly?
Any advice would greatly appreciate.
David

07-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this happens with all K10Ds.
But the M lens should work fine in M mode all the same.

Have you had problems taking photos with your M lenses?
If you haven't tried yet, have a read through the K10D manual - it's quite a handy resource.
07-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K10D Mode Dial not working with M lens?

Hi Ash,
I think I found the answer from the manual, with the M lens attached; the camera will operates in Av mode even if the mode dial is at Green, P, Sv, Tv and Tav. That is why when I change to one of those mode it only shows Av or Manual mode only.
And no problem takes pictures while in M mode.

Thanks for your response.

David
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, David. The instruction manual will be wordy about it, but it boils down to this:

Pentax will give you the maximum available from the least flexible equipment. This has been modified slightly recently due to the mount change that does not allow my K10 for example to stop the lens down in Av mode. Basically, since your lens was never capable of in camera aperture control - you stop it down by rotating the aperture ring, not the edial on the camera - no mode that expects to be able to control the aperture from the camera will work. Manual mode is available on all lenses. Av on the newer dSLRs, unfortunately, will only work with the lens wide open. The aperture ring follower is missing from the body.

I hope this helps.

The other limitation is that a lens without an aperture ring cannot be used on older cameras that are not equipped to control the aperture. The lens is always stopped fully down.

07-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Albert,

I guessed my silly question was, while I have the M lens attached to the camera, I was playing around with different mode dial, I know I only can use Manual mode to take picture & I was not try to use the Green, P, Sv, Tv and Tav.
When I turn to Manual mode, the LCD screen shows the Manual mode info and same for Av & B. But when I turn to Green, P, Sv, Tv and Tav, the info on LCD screen still shows Av, it will not change according to the actual mode. For Example, when I turn to Tv, it still only shows Av.
I hope I have make myself clear and sorry if I might have cause any confusion. Thanks for your info and help.
07-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Mr. Pentax is telling you that the mode on the dial won't work, and that he has chosen the only auto exposure mode that is available. I would, and do, prefer this to the camera only going into Av but showing you that the camera is in P mode.
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Hi, David. The instruction manual will be wordy about it, but it boils down to this:

Pentax will give you the maximum available from the least flexible equipment. This has been modified slightly recently due to the mount change that does not allow my K10 for example to stop the lens down in Av mode. Basically, since your lens was never capable of in camera aperture control - you stop it down by rotating the aperture ring, not the edial on the camera - no mode that expects to be able to control the aperture from the camera will work. Manual mode is available on all lenses. Av on the newer dSLRs, unfortunately, will only work with the lens wide open. The aperture ring follower is missing from the body.

I hope this helps.

The other limitation is that a lens without an aperture ring cannot be used on older cameras that are not equipped to control the aperture. The lens is always stopped fully down.
Canada, perhaps I misunderstand, but when using M and earlier lenses, and shooting in Av, I set the aperture on the lens, touch the green button for instant stop-down metering (I have the metering-hold set for 30 seconds) recompose and check focus, then release the shutter.

Do I recall my operations correctly, or am I thinking of one of my A lenses?
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with you, I was just thought that it was something wrong with the camera. I guess the only way to be sure is when I get a DA lens put on and see what happen.

07-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With a fully manual lens, shoot in M mode, then do the "green button" stop down metering. In AV mode regardless of where you set the aperture, it will shoot wide open.
07-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Canada, perhaps I misunderstand, but when using M and earlier lenses, and shooting in Av, I set the aperture on the lens, touch the green button for instant stop-down metering (I have the metering-hold set for 30 seconds) recompose and check focus, then release the shutter.

Bad memory, I guess - I use Av and A lenses so much. No doubt that is why my Takumar shots aren't worth the storage they are taking up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
With a fully manual lens, shoot in M mode, then do the "green button" stop down metering. In AV mode regardless of where you set the aperture, it will shoot wide open.
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Monochrome, it is different with the old screw mount lenses you CAN shoot in AV mode, and the camera will set the shutter speed, BUT, it isn't very accurate, lol
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Sorry I am late replying - life interferes sometimes. In Av (or any other mode that defaults to Av) M and K series lenses will use automatic exposure, but only wide open. In M mode, use the Green button (I think AE-L does it on the x00 series) to have the camera stop down, meter the exposure, and set the shutter speed.

Unfortunately, I among others have found that this works perfectly - but only at certain stops. My 400, for example likes only f/8, 11 and 16. Any other stop will result in over/under exposure depending on whether the lens is set to f/5.6 or f/22 and up.

My M100 macro has the same effect, but I am still working on things to find out what work with that lens.

I chased some butterflies at f/11 using dof preview and the over/under display scale in the K10 viewfinder (the K20 has the scale as well) to set the exposure, and took a couple of perfectly exposed shots. Then I tried the other system and failed miserably. So, I am still working on the M 100/4 macro exposure. I will get it, and when this lens is exposed correctly it is a gem. I also get to use snap-in-focus while chasing bugs around which is great. I see that the K20 has enabled it under a variant of the name even with A and later lenses.

PS - the screw mount lenses stop down to the taking aperture as soon as you move the aperture ring, so the camera does an Av exposure at more than wide open f/stops, but it is like shooting with the dof preview lever held over. I think I will see if I can find a preset lens - that should work better than the Spotmatic and later lenses.

For those who don't know what a preset lens is, it has two aperture rings. The first ring has click stops and you set it to the f/stop you want to use for the exposure. The second ring will move freely between wide open and the preset f/stop with a flick of the finger, without having to look at the lens. I used these for over 15 years, and even shot sports. It is an easily learned trick.