Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any young prodigies out there with Pentax DSLRS?

Dear Pentax shooters and friends.

Many years ago, when my oldest daughter was four years old, I used to bring her with me, on Saturdays, on my shooting adventures. One day, I let her use one of my 35mm, explained her how to operate it and put it in the best Auto-mode of the days. That was either aperture or shutter priority. I used to shoot slides and would develop them usually the same day.

I was really shocked upon our return home and after developing the slides. She had many pictures that were better than mine...an adult with experience. Of course she didn't understand the mechanical and process of photography fully, but she was able to recognize a good shot and knew how to focus (No AF then). Being much smaller than me, her shots represented another point-of-view. She was looking up at almost everything while I was looking down.
I used to have people stopping in their tracks just to watch her taking photographs. It was cute, but more than that, she was really good at it. I wish I could fing those pictures or negatives somewhere in my countless shoe boxes.

She grew up, had children of her own and never pursued photography. Oh well...it was great while it lasted.

My point is this: Does any of you have a child that takes pictures with their own or your Pentax DSLR? Kids are so much more aware of technology these days, it wouldn't surprise me if there were children prodigies out there. If you have a child that you think is exceptionally good at photography, please share their photos with all of us. It may teach us all a lesson. Were not as good as we think we are. One of my favorite saying is: If someone could buy my pictures at the price they're worth and sell them at the price I think they're worth, they would make a lot of money.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

07-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are shots taken by my 4 year young nephew, using a *istDS..

#1: See the photographic eye
#2, #3: See how people being photographed turn from angry to delighted when they realize the age of the photographer

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
07-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought my daughter an istD a few years back, as she was showing some interest. The size and as she put it, the complexity of the camera, turned her off it, so i sold it and bought a Canon P&S which she uses a lot.

My Dad was a very good ammy photographer, who in turn taught me, so i was hoping for my daughter to follow.

Oh well, at least she takes some pictures once in a while.

BTW i showed her how to set up and use the camera properly, how to meter in differed lighting etc.,

Dave
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, my son is a mere 4mos old. So, talking and walking are at the top of his todo list right now. hehe
But in the not too distant future I am certainly hoping he will show interest in heading out with dear old dad and sharing his view of the world in photos.

07-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Well, my son is a mere 4mos old. So, talking and walking are at the top of his todo list right now. hehe
But in the not too distant future I am certainly hoping he will show interest in heading out with dear old dad and sharing his view of the world in photos.
Pretty much same situation here. My son is 2 years old and I doubt he would be able to lift the K10D :-) So for now he's the subject but I hope it will change soon.
07-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

ah, same with me. My eldest still has a few years to go before he'll be able to hold my K10D properly. Though an old Pizza Hut film camera works for him! LOL
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #7

I took a photo course a few years ago and started out with a Pentax K1000. For Christmas two years later I got a K100DS. It has officially become my camera and I use it for every thing. Here's the best that I've taken so far.
Attached Images