Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are very informative, you can check out parts for free.I have k50 and k1 and recommend them.I agree the manuals could be a lot better.

11-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #47
Pentaxian

For mid-range cameras being small and ideal for travel vs high end/class products, I think inclusion of USB charging is not a bad idea Or make entry/mid range apsc from Pentax use a bigger battery instead the one they are using now (DSLR should have better battery life vs mirrorless right?). Eliminate that HDMI port too to give space for the USB port.
11-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You can get the E-books
I am hoping these get updated. I bought the K-1 ebook a few days ago and it doesn't cover things like the latest firmware update which added an electronic shutter for certain slow shutter speeds.
11-10-2016, 01:40 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I am hoping these get updated. I bought the K-1 ebook a few days ago and it doesn't cover things like the latest firmware update which added an electronic shutter for certain slow shutter speeds.

It can only cover the firmware that's current at the time of writing but suggest to Yvon to update it if he can?

11-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It can only cover the firmware that's current at the time of writing but suggest to Yvon to update it if he can?
I suggested it a few days ago. No response yet.
11-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #51
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Lol. Start with the Theta- it has an open API and there was recently an app contest with lots of cool ideas soon to be announced!
Thanks Adam. I didn't realise Pentax were already dabbling in this area. Maybe they should read all the naysayers here and cancel the competition...lol

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest problem is that we are at a stand still when it comes to sensor improvements. Since the D800 came out, there have been minimal improvements to sensors and most of those have been to increase megapixel counts and frame rates -- neither of which is particularly important to me -- high iso performance has improved a little bit, mainly at the cost of low iso dynamic range (not a good trade off). Otherwise we are in a holding pattern.
We are largely in agreement here. So, with image quality being similar across brands, what else will attract new-comers to the DSLR game? That's Tony's point (and mine)

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Tony's suggestions are mostly moment-directed. We don't need cameras for moments.
No, Tony's comments are not about moments.

He is talking about the up and coming generation of enthusiasts. Those kids who get a taste of photography through their smart-phone, and want to explore the world of photography through a DSLR. He is suggesting that current cameras are not user friendly to this 'new' breed (and perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, the camera companies might want to move in that direction).

I'm surprised to find myself defending Tony Northrup, but the responses here are even more blatantly ignorant and small minded than he is. It's infuriating. Once again, folks, watch the video and try to listen with an open mind.

This thread has made me realise why 'Pentaxians' have such a bad reputation. I've used Pentax gear, and only Pentax gear, since I started doing photography 20 years ago. Reading through this thread, I am now embarrassed to be associated with the term 'Pentaxian'.

I think I'll use 'photographer' from now on, and smile sheepishly if someone notices I use Pentax.

Last edited by Poit; 11-10-2016 at 05:39 PM.
11-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who are focused on moments, transmitting which quickly are the uses for the features.

I started with an Instamatic. I didn't need to have 126 cartridge film chamber to make a Spotmatic interesting. In fact, for party shots - moment shots - an Instamatic was actually a better tool, just as a phone is.

But Ok, put them in the camera - they don't cost anything. Just make the default state off and give me a Menu Line to turn them on.

I still don't believe consumers will buy incremental cameras and lenses because the features are there (or refuse to buy them if they're omitted), and I don't believe enthusiasts and pros will find them incrementally useful.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-10-2016 at 06:36 PM.
11-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
He is talking about the up and coming generation of enthusiasts. Those kids who get a taste of photography through their smart-phone
Yes, that generation has a launching point after Photokina!....YI has the smartphone interface on a M43 camera.When interviewed the YI official said the target market was young people upgrading and requiring better photo tools than a smart phone,but at the same time having ease of use of a smartphone!Only 2 native lenses but 50 Oly/Panasonic AF lenses that are compatible( presumably).3rd party support too!

Sure, Sammy had a go at this with NX Galaxy camera but it was 3 times the price.Xaomi(spell check) are attacking the camera industry at the midway sensor size, if their marketing and quality is good enough it'll put a dent in other camera makers bottom line!

---------- Post added 11-11-16 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by poit Quote
responses here are even more blatantly ignorant and small minded than he is
oy oy oy!

---------- Post added 11-11-16 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I've used Pentax gear, and only Pentax gear,

Theres "other" systems that are worth exploring!
11-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh dear.

Q. Who uses GPS, WiFi, square crop and PS, and who doesn't?
A. I do, but if it didn't have them available, I probably still would have bought the K-1, and I suspect it wouldn't have cost any less (otherwise I'd simply never have turned them on, if I hadn't wanted them).

But Ok, put them in the camera - they don't cost anything. Just make the default state off and give me a Menu Line to turn them on.
Amen to that.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-11-2016 at 07:46 PM.
11-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who are focused on moments, transmitting which quickly are the uses for the features.

I started with an Instamatic. I didn't need to have 126 cartridge film chamber to make a Spotmatic interesting. In fact, for party shots - moment shots - an Instamatic was actually a better tool, just as a phone is.

I still don't believe consumers will buy incremental cameras and lenses because the features are there (or refuse to buy them if they're omitted), and I don't believe enthusiasts and pros will find them incrementally useful.
I agree. My feeling is that the K3 II was not a particularly big seller because it included more "gadgetry" but was essentially the same camera otherwise to the K3. Take the K-1 as it stands now and add a lot better wifi, open source software with the possibility of apps/better video down the road, and say, a new panorama mode and more HDR options and a few other software changes and mark it up 500 dollars compared to the current K-1 and see which sells more.

The K-1 sold well to Pentaxians because they saw real image quality improvements compared to existing APS-C cameras, not because it includes wifi, GPS, and pixel shift (although I do use pixel shift quite a bit).
11-11-2016, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

The K-1 sold well to Pentaxians because they saw real image quality improvements compared to existing APS-C cameras, not because it includes wifi, GPS, and pixel shift (although I do use pixel shift quite a bit).
Speak for yourself.
11-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
For mid-range cameras being small and ideal for travel vs high end/class products, I think inclusion of USB charging is not a bad idea Or make entry/mid range apsc from Pentax use a bigger battery instead the one they are using now (DSLR should have better battery life vs mirrorless right?). Eliminate that HDMI port too to give space for the USB port.
With USB C they can do computer connection, HDMI, and charging all in one. The only potential problem regarding USB charging was brought up earlier in the post, which is adequate power output.
11-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
With USB C they can do computer connection, HDMI, and charging all in one. The only potential problem regarding USB charging was brought up earlier in the post, which is adequate power output.
When stepped up to the requisite voltage, a USB connection can potentially provide a charging current greater than the existing Pentax charger, going by the figures quoted here. So, I'd be inclined to call that no problem.
11-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When stepped up to the requisite voltage, a USB connection can potentially provide a charging current greater than the existing Pentax charger, going by the figures quoted here. So, I'd be inclined to call that no problem.
In the k10d era charging from usb didn't make sense. Soon after that usb charging standards were available and chargers were wide spread. While nowhere near as fast as dedicated out of camera charging, it's stupid that the feature isn't available.

The one thing Pentax could do with minimum overhead is allow for something like CHDK on the pentax DSLRs. Just making a commitment to allow for developers to do whatever they want after a certain number of months or years after release would allow for the community to fix old bugs and introduce features that would make the cameras work much better in edge cases.
11-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I stand corrected and I wish the feature was available.