Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #1

Mirror lens on Evilbay etc

Hi 15 years ago I had a mirror lens ( dont remember brand) when I had film Pentax SLRs SFXN and Z1
I was looking at the mirror lens on Evilbay & was wondering what they are like? any to look out for or advoid? thanks

11-06-2016, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 55BB mirror lens I use off and on, mainly for sun/moon shots... I've read the Tokina and Sigma are also highly regarded...

difficult to shoot well with them, but if you can get the process right, quite rewarding...

my flickr album of mine:

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 55BB 500mm f8 | Flickr
11-06-2016, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Mirror lenses aren't really that popular any more because modern optical designs allow for rather compact telephoto lenses (with comparatively better image quality). Mirror lenses are fun to play with and a cheap way to get super telephoto reach, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2016, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My 500mm mirror lens was, like most of my kit, bought cheaply and second hand (I think about £30) from a friendly dealer. It was cheap because the T2 mount had been fiddled with, and the focus scale was no longer at the top of the lens. £1.50 on another T2 mount (also second hand), and I was away. Used mainly for wildlife shots on monopod, but also for the 'doughnut' highlights that I recall were criticised when used on film cameras, way back in nineteen-hundred and frozen-to-death. Used with x2 converter gives an approximate focal length of 1500mm - used on Benbo tripod (£20 second hand).
The other T2 adapter did not go to waste, either - it's on my telescope (Leica - and that one was new !) digiscoping adapter.

Tony

11-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi thanks all I was looking at it for days where just have fun & not worry about long heavy bulky lens like my Tokina 80/200 f 2.8 lens
11-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

go for it - I've gotten to the point in my lens-buying that I am not afraid to spend a bit of money for something fun or even take a chance on a curiosity...

(also read as "where did all these Adaptall's come from?")
11-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

From the threads about modern mirror lenses I have learned that modern day mirror lenses are not nearly as good as some of the old ones were. You can find modern ones real cheap, but don't expect much. You can search the forum for the mirrorless thread, with samples from Samyang mirror lens (not great, despite Samyang making good non-mirror primes)

11-06-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at Piotr's pics with tamron adaptall 55BB:

Tamron Adaptall-2 500mm f/8 55BB

My impression also of the cheapo new mirrors off eg amazon (kenko, opteka etc etc) is unfavourable.
11-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The best one out there, IMHO, is MC 3M-5CA 500mm f/8. It is compact and sharp, not too expensive, bokeh is not something to lust after but it's no worse than any other mirror lens out there.
11-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very, very pleased with my Tamron 500 F8 mirror lens. I have the earlier model 55B that has the tripod foot. I handhold it on my wildlife shots, and I like the results I get. Would I sell it? Nope, I find it's got a great place in my line up.

Last edited by csa; 11-06-2016 at 07:40 AM.
11-06-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My reading on the subject leads me to think that they are hard to nail focus with because mirror lenses have thin depth of field as per their focal length - and lack autofocus, and often (newer ones perhaps more than older ones) have low precision focus rings that don't have enough throw and are poorly dampened. Also given the slow aperture and the low degree of focus screen contrast with standard dslr screens focusing can be hit or miss. But I'd listen to those with direct experience and ask them if these factors cause problems or not.

I wish a few compact mirrors were out and autofocus. The only af one I know of is a Minolta that works on Sony A mount I think.
11-06-2016, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
they are hard to nail focus with because mirror lenses have thin depth of field as per their focal length
But also because the optical design means that focus changes quickly with rotation of the focus ring, even though the helicoid is a relatively fine thread. It is very noticeable to me that the non-mirror 500mm f8's have much more latitude/amplitude in the focus movement. I find it easier to nail focus on my mirrorless cameras with mirror lenses due to the option of strong magnification in the EVF.
11-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I once had and shot with a 500mm f/.8 mirror lens and found it an exercise in frustration. I spent at least a couple years trying to improve my technique until I realized at one point it wasnʻt my technique; it was the limitations of the mirror design.

My main problems were working with a fixed f/8 (or f/6.3) aperture. Very dark viewfinder=hard to focus manually. 500mm=shallow depth of field. Exposures must be changed with shutter speed, which typically means 1/500" or faster, and thus with anything less than daylight, high ISO.

Mirror lenses like Cassegrain telescopes, are awesome for their light gathering ability of faint distant objects and long exposures to record what our eyes canʻt see live. In daylight and in the field with a 95mm front diameter without a hood, I found getting decent contrast problematic. My apologies to the OP as Iʻm just giving a heads up for those who may be considering a mirror lens instead of using, for example, a teleconverter.
11-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

Like others have mentioned, focus technique is key because DOF is really limited. It' not unlike a super fast prime f/1.2, but with much harsher and possibly donut-like bookeh. You don't always get donuts, just mostly when shooting into the light or reflected points of light (like moving water). It can actually work very well to isolate the subject for a unique look! I have the Tammy 500/8 and find it a very sharp optic, also very compact and almost a macro lens. At 6 to 10 feet, you can use the built in flash for fill with the f/8 aperture, it balances nicely in daylight. If you plan on using it with the Q, be sure to get it with the tripod foot! On my old K20D, I don't find the f/8 to be a problem for viewing or focusing, and the lens definitely out-resolves the 14MP sensor.
The biggest challenge is that the focus ring requires a very light touch, which is nice for quick focusing but also kinda annoying in that every time you move the cam you need to refocus again! I wish there was a way to make the focus action more stiff and resistant to movement, that is really my biggest complaint in terms of usage.

Last edited by kayakfari; 11-06-2016 at 12:47 PM.
11-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My reading on the subject leads me to think that they are hard to nail focus with because mirror lenses have thin depth of field as per their focal length - and lack autofocus, and often (newer ones perhaps more than older ones) have low precision focus rings that don't have enough throw and are poorly dampened. Also given the slow aperture and the low degree of focus screen contrast with standard dslr screens focusing can be hit or miss. But I'd listen to those with direct experience and ask them if these factors cause problems or not.

I wish a few compact mirrors were out and autofocus. The only af one I know of is a Minolta that works on Sony A mount I think.
None of the focus screens are optimized for f8 low contrast lenses so they are all bad in their own way. The stock screen is reasonably bright because it's designed for slower lenses. The low contrast makes seeing the focus point hard. I guess I'd describe it as no particular help in focus, but no big downside. If you want to use a TC, it's probably the best option because the other types have blackout/darkness trouble. The EE-S style screen gets really dark over the whole surface, and again, the focus point is not obvious. I only tried this one briefly. The split prism will show you a point of focus or sometimes black out. You can often adjust eye position slightly to fix the blackout, but it can be fussy.

Live view is not great either. I usually get mine dusted off for moon shots, and by the time I decide focus is sort of OK, the moon has slipped out of the frame.