Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Windows Mobile Pentax Remote

- Remote Control for Pentax

Maybe someone has more luck with it, the screen shots look interesting, supporting bulb mode and all, unfortunately my T-Mobile Dash does not run it although it says it has a newer version of the .net Compact Framework 2 than what i downloaded from the MS website.

Good Luck,

Daniel

07-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

Question, how does it work? IR? BT? 802.11? I really don't know the wireless system the camera uses. (need to more fully RTFM!)

If IR as I suspect, my Hermes PPC Phone prob wont do it....very weak IR. My old Ipaq 5450 probably could though....very strong IR on it..came with HT Remote software built it.
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would be IR, i misread somewhere that "Beam" in "communications" on my phone is IR, but it seems for my phone "Bluetooth" and "Beam" are both using BT technology. So my phone is out, unfortunately.
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #4

Installed it on my PPC Phone (WM6) and the program launches just fine. Will try it when I get home, but I suspect it wont have any range.....would have been cool since the phone is always on me. Guess I just need to get a new battery for the Ipaq and keep it in the Camera bag. ;^)

07-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow - this is definitely something I'm going to try out. This program allows you to do Bulb mode, continous, and time lapse at set intervals. Can't wait to see how it works (already installed it on my wm6 phone.

Now, range of this remote is only as good as your phone's IR, and typically that would be around 5-8 feet in ideal conditions. After all, most of these IR were designed for close-distance syncing (from phone to laptop a foot away), but some phones really project. But I see this being handy for short-term time lapse from a distance.
07-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

iphone use?

Could this program be written as an App for the iphone?

wll
07-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm... anything like this for a PalmOS? I dislike Windows Mobile quite strongly.
07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Got it installed but I don't understand why it wants to use a COM port. Or what the IR Raw checkbox is for. I'll play a bit more w/ it later. I'm using a T-mo Wing (HTC Herald for those of you not in the US).

07-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Got it installed but I don't understand why it wants to use a COM port. Or what the IR Raw checkbox is for. I'll play a bit more w/ it later. I'm using a T-mo Wing (HTC Herald for those of you not in the US).
In windows, IR uses a COM port. You need to specify the COM port that the IR is setup on so that Windows can see/send data to the IR.
07-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Hmm... anything like this for a PalmOS? I dislike Windows Mobile quite strongly.
I would strongly like that too. If I ever meet someone with a remote, I could progrm my NoviiRemote software to act as the shutter release, but a dedicated program would be better.

EDIT :

I have found a codebase for NoviiRemote made for Pentax DSLRs. It's a bit old, but I just tested it with my K20D and it works:

http://www.vex.net/~lawrence/download.html#pentax

You have to import it from 2.x if you have a newer version of NoviiRemote. It then looks like a basic VCR layout, with a few buttons programmed (the others are gray). I think all it does is release the shutter, nothing else, but that's basically what we want it to do anyway...

Last edited by bdery; 07-30-2008 at 07:57 AM.
07-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
In windows, IR uses a COM port. You need to specify the COM port that the IR is setup on so that Windows can see/send data to the IR.
There's no setting for that on Windows Mobile 6. They must be trying to make it more friendly

You can only set the COM port for an external GPS device. The IR can only be turned on/off.
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well...that explains why there's no way to set IR to use a COM port on my T-Mo Wing...LOL:
"Does the T-Mobile Wing have Infrared Technology?
No. The T-Mobile Wing does not support Infrared Technology. The T-Mobile Wing has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth which are faster and more secure than Infrared Technology."
07-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Reminds me of my old HP iPac that had a remote control program built into it and had every brand of TV, VCR, DVD player, etc that I could think of. Everywhere I went I could change channels on any remote capable TV. It was a little too much fun.
07-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Reminds me of my old HP iPac that had a remote control program built into it and had every brand of TV, VCR, DVD player, etc that I could think of. Everywhere I went I could change channels on any remote capable TV. It was a little too much fun.
I had something like that for my old Palm IIIc. It could learn any remote you pointed at it. I think I might try and find that software again.
08-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #15

Hi guys, I found out some of you are having some problems; Iíll try to help you.
Let's start from some doubts and configuration:

*The device must have an IR interface;
*The distance depends on how powerful is your device, I have a Dell AXIM and the maximum distance I can operate is 1 meter.
*Some people have problem to use the program because Windows Mobile has configured the IR interface to Beam, so you could try disabling the option while you are using the RCFP.
*I haven't tested the program on Windows Mobile 6 yet, but I'll do as soon as possible, I just need to download an emulator.
*Check if the camera was configured to be shoot using a remote control

A good way to identify if your device is sending something through the IR interface is to point the device to a video camera (can be mobile or any other type o device) and record a video while you press the Shoot button, if you can see a light the device and the program is well configured.

Any question or problem can be posted here or sent by e-mail to me. This is the first version, I would like to have a final version perfect, as a Pentax!