Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutter speed too slow in Auto mode K200

I recently purchased the Pentax K200. For some reason when I shoot on the “Flash Off” setting, my shutter speed is set automatically but is too slow. Most of the time it is around 1/60 sec. And this is shooting in a light shade outdoors. Everything I shoot is not sharp due to camera shake, even the camera shake reduction is on.

How can I change this? Do I need to set my sensitivity in the SV mode, to 400 plus so my shutter speed will follow? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also in the “Flash Off” mode it seems my images are over exposed. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the remedy to over ride and reset the exposure to +1.0 or so?

Does the Dynamic Range play a factor in any of the above?

Also I do not understand the purpose of 1/2 and 1/3 EV steps. I apologize for the questions but knowledge leads to good images. Man oh man do I need knowledge.

Thanks,
PhotoGator

07-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you outside, during the day? I don't know anything about the auto modes, but just set your camera to the P mode and it should expose things pretty well automatically. Also, then you don't need to worry about the "flash mode" since it won't fire unless you raise it manually.

1/3 or 1/2 ev steps is just a personal preference thing. 1/3 ev steps gives you finer control over the aperture/shutter/iso settings, but isn't really crucial since the proper exposure is fairly subjective. I left mine set on 1/2 since for some reason I prefer shooting in the "traditional" aperture values and don't want to turn the dial as much.
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Could you post some pictures with EXIF data? If your pictures are over exposed, adding a compensation of +1.00 will make it even worst. Is the "overexposure" observed on your monitor or on prints? Maybe your monitor's brightness is set too high. One thing for sure, with shake reduction on, your pictures should be fairly sharp at 1/60th sec. There can be a lot of reasons to cause your problems, so seeing pictures (with EXIF) would help to help you.
07-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Also in the “Flash Off” mode it seems my images are over exposed. Has anyone else had this problem? Is the remedy to over ride and reset the exposure to +1.0 or so?
No. You should not have to compensate on a regular basis. However, try a mid-afternoon shot with the sun behind you, shooting down your street. That is a pretty average shot, so it should be close on exposure, perhaps 1/500 at f8 or so at ISO 200. Shoot one on "Auto" and one on "P", they should be essentially the same.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-04-2008 at 08:10 PM.
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No. You should not have to compensate on a regular basis. However, try a mid-afternoon shot with the sun behing you, shooting down your street. That is a pretty average shot, so it should be close on exposure, perhaps 1/500 at f8 or so at ISO 200. Shoot one on "Auto" and one on "P", they should be essentially the same.
Gosh... thanks for such a rapid response. I will digest the suggestions and let ya'll know. Thanks again for your help.
08-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Could you post some pictures with EXIF data? If your pictures are over exposed, adding a compensation of +1.00 will make it even worst. Is the "overexposure" observed on your monitor or on prints? Maybe your monitor's brightness is set too high. One thing for sure, with shake reduction on, your pictures should be fairly sharp at 1/60th sec. There can be a lot of reasons to cause your problems, so seeing pictures (with EXIF) would help to help you.
I do not know how to upload photos to this forum yet. I will find out and upload.

PhotoGator
08-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

An easy way to post pictures is going on a picture sharing site (Picasa Web, Flickr...) and just posting the link so we can look at the pictures. Picasa web is very easy to work with. Just "Google" Picasa and you can download it. Picasa is also a very easy to use photo library, but it is very limited as far as editing is concerned. Good luck!

08-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know alot about the K200D's menu, but isn't there a High-speed priority program under Program line in the custom menu, same as the K20D?

If there is, the camera will choose faster shutter speeds in P mode if this is enabled.
That is.. if there is such a option in the K200D menu...

:edit: After checking user K200D user manual, I found out there isn't a menu item such as this on the K200D. Too bad! It's Tv and high Auto-ISO for you then!

Last edited by Shashinki; 08-04-2008 at 03:11 PM.
08-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Rob

I'm having similar issues, so I will be posting more, but for now, be certain that the eyepice is blocked from ambiant light! Your eyeball should do the job, but with your back to the sun it can still sneek in. The exposure meter goes crazy - mostly to the dark side of crazy.

Mine shipped with a little cover for the eyepiece, now I know to use it when I am on a tripod.
08-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob Quote
I'm having similar issues, so I will be posting more, but for now, be certain that the eyepice is blocked from ambiant light! Your eyeball should do the job, but with your back to the sun it can still sneek in. The exposure meter goes crazy - mostly to the dark side of crazy.

Mine shipped with a little cover for the eyepiece, now I know to use it when I am on a tripod.
Thanks again for the input. I will blend this info into my pea brain.

PhotoGator
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
An easy way to post pictures is going on a picture sharing site (Picasa Web, Flickr...) and just posting the link so we can look at the pictures. Picasa web is very easy to work with. Just "Google" Picasa and you can download it. Picasa is also a very easy to use photo library, but it is very limited as far as editing is concerned. Good luck!
Thanks, I finally had time to open a Flickr account and throw a few pictures on it. These were shot with the Pentax K200. Some by hand and the rest on a tripod. To me they are not that sharp. Mayby I am loonie or something. Thanks for any comments.

wwww.flicker.com/photos/youneak

Photogator
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
Forum Member

Your URL is incorrect its actually

Flickr: YOUneak's Photostream
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
Forum Member

The pics are ok to me. Maybe someone more technical may see something wrong.
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Your photos don't really look too bad to me, but they are all taken at either f/22 or f/5.6 or f/4.5. The kit lens (and many lenses) are not very sharp at these apertures.

Try f/8 or f/11.
08-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Unsharp images with Pentax K200

Thanks for your review. Is the prime lens the only way to go? Are there zoom lenses that create sharp images. I see all the pros and their images are soooooo sharp and crisp. Mine just do not seem to be sharp.