Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Why won't shutter release?

I am trying to find out why the shutter release on my k1 doesn't fire on the rare occasion. I just see a flashing circle through the viewfinder with the other setup. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

11-11-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That means the image is not in focus, and if you're in focus priority mode in AF.S, the shutter will not fire until you re-focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The picture i was taking was a landscape and looked vey focused through the viewfinder. Is focus priority mode not recommended for some things?

Thanks
11-11-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Listen for the beep, Yozza.

11-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Listen for the beep, Yozza.
What happens (or isn't) when you hear the "beep" and it still doesn't fire?

Woodywesty
11-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
What happens (or isn't) when you hear the "beep" and it still doesn't fire?

Woodywesty
Focus confirmation but it doesn't fire?

If it still does it after you do a Reset Settings, you probably have a fault.

Take lots of shots under different conditions (Live View, timer, phone app, AF-C vs AF-S, different lenses, etc) to isolate when it happens.
11-11-2016, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus confirmation but it doesn't fire?

If it still does it after you do a Reset Settings, you probably have a fault.

Take lots of shots under different conditions (Live View, timer, phone app, AF-C vs AF-S, different lenses, etc) to isolate when it happens.
I have made "settings" mistakes on several occasions which is a sure fire way to learn your camera! I think though that my not firing issue is limited to my DA* lenses. The DA* 50-135 has never worked and my DA*300 "sometimes just finds focus and won't fire. When I switch to my non DA* lenses everything is fine. Well, most everything is fine... the photographer is still error prone.. ;-)

11-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have made "settings" mistakes on several occasions which is a sure fire way to learn your camera! I think though that my not firing issue is limited to my DA* lenses. The DA* 50-135 has never worked and my DA*300 "sometimes just finds focus and won't fire. When I switch to my non DA* lenses everything is fine. Well, most everything is fine... the photographer is still error prone.. ;-)
On a k-1 or in general? Have you tried converting these to screw drive?
11-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
On a k-1 or in general? Have you tried converting these to screw drive?
On both K3 and K3ll bodies. The DA*50-135 I have simply put in a drawer as a bad mistake on my part. Should have known better. The DA*300 only fails to fire maybe 5% of the time which I can live with. Converting a new lens to screw drive after spending $1000 for it is more than I can accept. As is, it sets there as a warning to me to never make the DA* mistake again..
11-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On both K3 and K3ll bodies. The DA*50-135 I have simply put in a drawer as a bad mistake on my part. Should have known better. The DA*300 only fails to fire maybe 5% of the time which I can live with. Converting a new lens to screw drive after spending $1000 for it is more than I can accept. As is, it sets there as a warning to me to never make the DA* mistake again..
I'm just not following the logic of leaving a lens in a drawer vs converting it to make it useful to you. I convert these all the time and people are thrilled to have them working again. I bought mine for $300 on eBay with dead SDM. I was lucky, the SDM woke up and never went to sleep. I also have a DA* 200 and a DA* 60-250 and my niece has a DA 17-70. None have failed and none give problems in focusing.

If you decide to convert either lens I am happy to help you through the process or even convert them (see my thread for SDM conversions in the marketplace.)
11-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm just not following the logic of leaving a lens in a drawer vs converting it to make it useful to you. I convert these all the time and people are thrilled to have them working again. I bought mine for $300 on eBay with dead SDM. I was lucky, the SDM woke up and never went to sleep. I also have a DA* 200 and a DA* 60-250 and my niece has a DA 17-70. None have failed and none give problems in focusing.

If you decide to convert either lens I am happy to help you through the process or even convert them (see my thread for SDM conversions in the marketplace.)
In a way I can agree with you. Unfortunately I let my stubbornness override logic sometimes... Its hard for me to rationalize spending $1,000 for a new lens and then spending more to have it converted to a technology that would have made the lens new costing maybe $500. If I had bought it from some poor sucker like me for a deal then having it converted would have been a heck of a deal. So I hang on to the fantasy of finding the person responsible for SDM and making them eat the lens... I'll use my FA 77 and 100 and move to position. Both lenses always focus.
11-11-2016, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a way I can agree with you. Unfortunately I let my stubbornness override logic sometimes... Its hard for me to rationalize spending $1,000 for a new lens and then spending more to have it converted to a technology that would have made the lens new costing maybe $500. If I had bought it from some poor sucker like me for a deal then having it converted would have been a heck of a deal. So I hang on to the fantasy of finding the person responsible for SDM and making them eat the lens... I'll use my FA 77 and 100 and move to position. Both lenses always focus.
Pm sent.
11-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think though that my not firing issue is limited to my DA* lenses. The DA* 50-135 has never worked and my DA*300 "sometimes just finds focus and won't fire.
Okay, we have our answer then - not your camera.

Your DA*300 would need its AF motor replaced.

But the DA* 50-135 has its backup method ... and the lens is so good I even used it last weekend on my K-1 in crop mode (see below). It was intermittently not working for the guy I bought it off a couple of years ago, so I relieved him of it, and converted it in about fifteen minutes.

11-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by yozza Quote
I am trying to find out why the shutter release on my k1 doesn't fire on the rare occasion. I just see a flashing circle through the viewfinder with the other setup. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
You might try making sure the manual focus vs auto focus (MF AF) switch is set right. I often switch between mf and auto lenses and have the same issue when this switch is set right.
11-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, we have our answer then - not your camera.

Your DA*300 would need its AF motor replaced.

But the DA* 50-135 has its backup method ... and the lens is so good I even used it last weekend on my K-1 in crop mode (see below). It was intermittently not working for the guy I bought it off a couple of years ago, so I relieved him of it, and converted it in about fifteen minutes.
Well, while the DA*300 hasn't been used a whole lot and while it is a very fine optic.... I'm not paying Ricoh to fix their "F" up. The focusing mechanisms in the DA* lenses appears to be a great teaching aid in Engineering college's of how not to design an electromechanical focusing mechanism. I "may" get the DA*50-135 converted as its so reasonable cost wise and because there isn't any other quality crop sensor zoom in that focal range available to replace it. If the DA*300 craps out it goes to the dump and I'll save up and buy the lens I really wanted, the Sigma 300 f2.8 which is both optically great and always focuses.

Having said all of that, I really like all of my Pentax gear especially the FA lenses along with my DA*16-50 which is a great lens and so far has worked/focused every time but one out of three lenses working isn't enough justification to invest any more money into DA* lenses..

Great photo by the way. Shows how good the DA*50-135 glass really is...
Bob