Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheapest alternative

Someone is bound to protest against my solution, so before they do, let me say that "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

With that out of the way, go to your local drug store and pick up an ear cleaning kit. They are around $5 and come with a large bulb that is supposed to be filled with water to gently flush out whatever is not supposed to be in your ears..

Resist the urge to actually put the thing in your ears and use it as intended. I know this will be a challenge for many of us, but do like your mother always told you and you'll be fine, I promise

Now, point the bulb at your hand and squeeze fast, just don't let go to suck air back in. Practise until you are confident of your bulb squeezing abilities. Now do the same to your sensor and focusing screen. The $15 unit at Henry's that I tried when I bought the camera (used) wouldn't take a few specs off no matter what I tried and I got me a discount from the sales dude because of it! Don't tell them that though.

Using the cheapo bulb just once today after having read this thread and practised my bulb squeezing technique thoroughly in preparation beforehand, there isn't a single spec on my sensor now and my focus screen is probably cleaner than when it left the factory -- hooray!

Last edited by jamonation; 08-06-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
With that out of the way, go to your local drug store and pick up an ear cleaning kit. They are around $5 and come with a large bulb that is supposed to be filled with water to gently flush out whatever is not supposed to be in your ears..

Now, point the bulb at your hand and squeeze fast, just don't let go to suck air back in. Practise until you are confident of your bulb squeezing abilities. Now do the same to your sensor and focusing screen.
This is what I've been using for the last couple of years and it seems to work just fine. As recommended, I use this ONLY on my camera, which might have something to do with why I recently had to go into the doctor to have my ears cleaned. But for the camera it seems to do the trick.

Doesn't LOOK as cool as the Giotto's Rocket, though.

Will