Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is my sensor dirty?

Sooo, my newly acquired (used) K100d Super seems to have some dust on the sensor.

I took a bunch of out-of-focus pictures, with 2 different lenses. The spot remains in all pictures.

There were four of these at first, but after blowing on the sensor with the rocket blower a few times, all went away except this one.

(100% crop)
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP5475crop.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  14.1 KB

(as big as the forum software would allow)
Name:  IMGP5475.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  7.8 KB

Having tested out of focus and with 2 different lenses, I have to conclude that it's on the sensor. But my Mark I eyeballs cannot see a thing on the sensor!

Sorry for the noobishness, but do I just need to persist in trying to get the sensor clean, or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for the handholding.

07-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Sooo, my newly acquired (used) K100d Super seems to have some dust on the sensor.
Looks that way to me, too.
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Looks that way to me, too.
Me three. Either get Mk III eyeballs and then send them in for focus adjustments, or blow the thing off.
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Classic dust. A BIG rocket blower is a good investment. On rare occasions I have used the Eclipse fluid and Pec pads. After that first treatment a year ago(and turning off the camera during lens changes) I did not see any dust for a very long time, though it has subsequently returned now and again.

07-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's inevitable to at some point get dust on your sensor. I once found what what looked like a piece of lint on my photos. I removed the lens and went mirror-up expecting to see it, but I couldn't see much of anything but what seemed like a perfectly clean sensor. I used a large bulb blower I bought just for this purpose and after a thorough blowing, it was clean.

Now, if you're a gadget guy, you can drop some money on this little gem:
Delkin Devices - Products - SensorScope System
07-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same story, except now I have dust behind my focusing screen - doesn't affect the final product, and my brain has learned to ignore it - but it's still THERE!
07-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Same story, except now I have dust behind my focusing screen - doesn't affect the final product, and my brain has learned to ignore it - but it's still THERE!
I actually had a very small crawling insect inside the LED on the top of the K10D. It went away, and I haven't suffered any bad results. But it was weird.

I keep the K10D/K20D both set to shake off dust every time I start up and I have not noticed a problem with dust in a LONG time. I'm pretty careful about how I change lenses, but I do change at home some time and I admit that my house is dusty.

I use an ordinary drug store bulb syringe/blower to blow air into the camera when I change lenses. I have given some thought to buying a Giotto's rocket blower but I'm confused about the options. What blower do others recommend?

Will
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The advantage to the rocket blower is the valve that prevents the blower from "inhaling" the dust on the intake when you let go of the squeeze bulb. I have an older lens blower, and simply inhale away from the camera. I haven't used it yet. In case of dire emergency, I bought a cleaning kit that came with a magnifier with an LED in it.

Unfortunately for me, my wife found it perfect for examining the fine embroidery she does. By the time I need it, the batteries will be dead. AAAs are cheap. I'll let her get away with it.

07-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

if you want to see how much dust is truly on your sensor you can take a shot with your camera stopped all the way down of your computer screen when set to a solid white background... then open this file in photoshop and then auto level it.. you may be surprised at what you find lol... The only way to truly remove 99.9 percent of dust is using the wet method, its acutally pretty simple and nothing to be scared of as long as you have a clean enviroment to do it in... those sensors will stand up to a lot more than you think... i have done MANY wet cleanings on my k10d's sensor with no problems... i use eclipse fluid, and a kimwipe wrapped around a home made wand made out of a popsicle craft stick... to use the popsicle stick as a wand just clip one of the ends off so its flat... then just a few drops of eclipse on the kimwipe and swab back and forth across your sensor to cover the entire surface... your end result is a sensor thats as clean as the day it came out of the factory, if not cleaner!
07-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the confirmation, advice and reassurance.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I have given some thought to buying a Giotto's rocket blower but I'm confused about the options. What blower do others recommend?
Get the biggest blower you can. I'm amazed at how much air pressure the Rocket Blower can generate. I do believe it's competitive with canned air. I got 3 out of 4 specks off with the thing. The 4th is very elusive!

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Now, if you're a gadget guy, you can drop some money on this little gem:
Delkin Devices - Products - SensorScope System
OMG I thought LBA was bad... I'm considering this:

Visible Dust | Arctic Butterfly 724 Sensor Cleaning | 4051350

$260! But reviews are solid, and it seems like it's just a matter of time now until I need all of that kit, especially with the 2nd body.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
if you want to see how much dust is truly on your sensor you can take a shot with your camera stopped all the way down of your computer screen when set to a solid white background... then open this file in photoshop and then auto level it.. you may be surprised at what you find lol... The only way to truly remove 99.9 percent of dust is using the wet method, its acutally pretty simple and nothing to be scared of as long as you have a clean enviroment to do it in... those sensors will stand up to a lot more than you think... i have done MANY wet cleanings on my k10d's sensor with no problems... i use eclipse fluid, and a kimwipe wrapped around a home made wand made out of a popsicle craft stick... to use the popsicle stick as a wand just clip one of the ends off so its flat... then just a few drops of eclipse on the kimwipe and swab back and forth across your sensor to cover the entire surface... your end result is a sensor thats as clean as the day it came out of the factory, if not cleaner!
Thanks, I had figured the sensor was tough, but man, it's still scary!
07-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #11

Is the fluid in the Sensor Scope kit the right kind for the K20D? I read that because of the special coating, a special fluid is needed.
07-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolf1462 Quote
Is the fluid in the Sensor Scope kit the right kind for the K20D? I read that because of the special coating, a special fluid is needed.
supposedly your supposed to use E2 with the K10 because of the anti dust coating, but ive always used plain Eclipse fluid.... The stuff literally dries on contact... Ive had no problems what so ever... Ive acutally seen people put "elbow grease into cleaning a sensor, no kidding... scrubbing away lol... no adverse effects... its not really necessary, just with light pressure and swipe back and fourth to cover the entire area and your good to go... it may take 2 tries to get the hang of it but its not hard... nothing to be scared of if you have a clean environment and plan everything out ahead of time. those 200 dollar kits are not worth it and in all honesty there not gonna get 99.9% of dust off the way a wet cleaning will. also, you may feel the sensor move or shift during cleaning, its expected as the anti shake mechanism moves when pressure is applied and it wont hurt anything, so dont freak out if this happens if you decided to swab your sensor lol
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Forget about spending +200 bucks on a sensor cleaner... Just take it to the gas shot and use a compressor to blow it good
08-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Uh-oh

Went down and got one of them blower things - ritz camera has a quantaray "hurricane" blower. Got the specks off though. *phew*
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Uh-oh - that's nothing! I need a bucket and shovel...........