Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by palocolorado Quote
I'm at this budget precisely because of my savings. I could technically go out and buy myself a reeeeal nice one, with enough features to make most my photog friends drool, but that would cut into my "try-not-to-get-crippled-by-student-loans" savings. I figure I'd rather be cheap now when I don't really need all the bells and whistles instead of spending the money and needing to take more out on loans, paying interest on them, etc.

I'm leaning towards the S1 or the 50. I like the rain, I like shooting outdoors and I like the thought of having more than one wheel to change settings, so the 50 might be the right one. But the IQ on the S1 is really something...
Go for the 50, I think. IQ on the S1 is great, I'm sure, but photography is also an experience, so I think having the extra controls on the 50 is worth the trade-off. The weather-sealing on the K-30/50 series is also superb (when paired with a weathersealed lens, of course).

11-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go for the k-s1. in 20 years time, you will not care whether you had weather sealing or two control dials. You'll care about the images you are left with. Arguably that also makes a case for not spending any money at all, and sticking with the Q. However. The Q is a bit rubbish in low light. The sensor in the k-5/k-30/k-50, in its day, was very good at high iso. I'm sorry, but the k-s1 is a bit better in that regard (imho). The AF (whilst still a bit rubbish compared to the k-3), is a slightly better version of what you'd find in the k-5. It's a bit plasticky. It makes lots of noise when the shutter fires. The grip isnt great. It has no weather sealing. The fancy lights are silly. But, given all those problems, the viewfinder is bigger/brighter than the k-50. The ISO performance is better. The image quality is fantastic. The white balance could be better (same as k-5/k-50, not as good as the k-3). And compared to the Q, you will be utterly blown away. Try and pick up a DA35 f2.4 or DA40 XS for it though (or better). Honestly, if you were upgrading from a k-7, I wouldn't recommend it. If you're upgrading from a Q however, you'll be amazed, and will not care that you lack a second control wheel. You'll just have to program a button to let you toggle what the one wheel controls.
11-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Go for the k-s1. in 20 years time, you will not care whether you had weather sealing or two control dials. You'll care about the images you are left with. Arguably that also makes a case for not spending any money at all, and sticking with the Q. However. The Q is a bit rubbish in low light. The sensor in the k-5/k-30/k-50, in its day, was very good at high iso. I'm sorry, but the k-s1 is a bit better in that regard (imho). The AF (whilst still a bit rubbish compared to the k-3), is a slightly better version of what you'd find in the k-5. It's a bit plasticky. It makes lots of noise when the shutter fires. The grip isnt great. It has no weather sealing. The fancy lights are silly. But, given all those problems, the viewfinder is bigger/brighter than the k-50. The ISO performance is better. The image quality is fantastic. The white balance could be better (same as k-5/k-50, not as good as the k-3). And compared to the Q, you will be utterly blown away. Try and pick up a DA35 f2.4 or DA40 XS for it though (or better). Honestly, if you were upgrading from a k-7, I wouldn't recommend it. If you're upgrading from a Q however, you'll be amazed, and will not care that you lack a second control wheel. You'll just have to program a button to let you toggle what the one wheel controls.
Good points here, definitely. I like the thought of higher IQ, and I have an idea were I to go with the K-S1: sugru.
I don't know how many of you guys know of it, but it's like a polymer playdough that dries like silicone. It comes in little packets and it's magic. You can fix anything with it and one of its main uses is for adding grip to objects. If the grip is weird, I might be able to mod it that way with a little bit of sugru. That way it'll be custom, and it looks like people are already doing it: How to make a custom grip for your camera | Sugru .
Maybe I could even hide the dumb front lights with it. That's an option...
11-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good points here, definitely. I like the thought of higher IQ, and I have an idea were I to go with the K-S1: sugru.
I don't know how many of you guys know of it, but it's like a polymer playdough that dries like silicone. It comes in little packets and it's magic. You can fix anything with it and one of its main uses is for adding grip to objects. If the grip is weird, I might be able to mod it that way with a little bit of sugru. That way it'll be custom, and it looks like people are already doing it: How to make a custom grip for your camera | Sugru .
Maybe I could even hide the dumb front lights with it. That's an option...
Knowing Pentax, you can probably just turn off the lights in the menu.

11-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Go for the k-s1. in 20 years time, you will not care whether you had weather sealing or two control dials. You'll care about the images you are left with. ....
But the images you are left with may depend on whether it is WR. I've had my K-30 for just eighteen months, and already I've taken several pictures I would never have taken with the Canon Rebel it replaced, because I would never have taken the Rebel out in the weather that was happening at the time.
11-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But the images you are left with may depend on whether it is WR. I've had my K-30 for just eighteen months, and already I've taken several pictures I would never have taken with the Canon Rebel it replaced, because I would never have taken the Rebel out in the weather that was happening at the time.
This is true with weather sealing, low-light capability and controls. Being able to shoot in weather you couldn't otherwise, pull detail out of darkness you couldn't otherwise, or dial in the right exposure in time won't keep you from getting every shot, but they will keep you from getting some shots, and some of those shots you missed will be your favourites.
11-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #22

Original Poster
So, I took the Q out and did some solid thinking about how I photograph now and how I might want to develop as a photographer, and I'm still a touch stumped.
What it comes down to is this: do I want to have a camera I can really grow in to and take out in inclement weather, or do I want to stick to a comfortable interface that I may not be able to grow out of and develop in BUUUT that has amazing image quality?
Additionally, there's cost. The K-50's cheaper now, but I'm not going to be able to afford the fancy WR lenses for it. Unless they were making WR stuff in the good ol' days and I can get lenses for super cheap, it just isn't going to work. Maybe used WR lenses are affordable (read: 100-200 bucks 1-2 years in the future) but for now? I'd be using the kit lens in the rain and everything else on it all other times I used it.
I'm leaning even harder towards the K-S1 now. If only the K-S2 was getting cheaper... :/

11-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I took the Q out and did some solid thinking about how I photograph now and how I might want to develop as a photographer, and I'm still a touch stumped.
What it comes down to is this: do I want to have a camera I can really grow in to and take out in inclement weather, or do I want to stick to a comfortable interface that I may not be able to grow out of and develop in BUUUT that has amazing image quality?
Additionally, there's cost. The K-50's cheaper now, but I'm not going to be able to afford the fancy WR lenses for it. Unless they were making WR stuff in the good ol' days and I can get lenses for super cheap, it just isn't going to work. Maybe used WR lenses are affordable (read: 100-200 bucks 1-2 years in the future) but for now? I'd be using the kit lens in the rain and everything else on it all other times I used it.
I'm leaning even harder towards the K-S1 now. If only the K-S2 was getting cheaper... :/
You're making astute observations.

Is this where I point out that I was shooting with my K-x in the rain for a year or so before I could afford a weathersealed K-30 or WR lenses?

Pentaxes are pretty tough.