Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 01:08 AM   #1

Battery in body with grip to body

Hi all I was just wondering I own a K7 with a grip ( 3rd party) & lately I dont install the battery in the body due to a pain in the bum to remove the grip to either charge or change the body battery.
I dont take off the grip from the body when I am not using the camera anyway. I carry around 2 more spare batteries in my pocket / bag anyway.
I was wondering how else does this or I the only 1 to do this

11-16-2016, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I usually do this, but not always; it depends. Most of the time I wonʻt bother with the in-body battery for convenience and weight. And usually I prefer to have a spare fresh battery in my bag vs. all the batteries die with no spares.

The exception is when conditions are so challenging or the environment so bad that I do not have a safe zone to replace batteries or to store spares. That way I can spend an extended time without compromising WR (with an OEM grip). The other exception is when I know Iʻll be needing slower shutter speeds and I want extra weight to the camera to help steady my hold.
11-16-2016, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also keep the battery in the grip and not use the one on the body. I find this to be convenient as I dont have to unscrew the grip of every time I need to change batteries.
11-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi thanks for that & yes I did once have both battries in the camera & found out both went flat at same time ( yes I know it can switch from 1 to the other but I didnt think to check the battries before I went out & found out with the hard way LOL thanks

11-16-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Hi thanks for that & yes I did once have both battries in the camera & found out both went flat at same time ( yes I know it can switch from 1 to the other but I didnt think to check the battries before I went out & found out with the hard way LOL thanks
When there are multiple batteries in the grip and camera, does the camera drain one battery at a time or all of them slowly? It would be nice if power grips had an LED check system to easily indicate power status of each battery.
11-16-2016, 04:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi when 2 batteries in the custom set up ( I cant remember & not near camera at moment you can tell it which battery to use 1st ie grip then body or other way around, But I forgot to check batteries etc before & found out both very close to flat. I say 1 was flat & other near flat. Also at the time I had only 1 charger but latter bough a dual charger of evilbay with a couple more batteries.
I also didnt carry the other grip battery part that does AA batteries .
Theres now way to check batteries other than only 1 in & go on camera indicator or such.
Personal I find the body battery meter indicator is not much to go by either if I am going out I just charger the batteries
11-16-2016, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I often won't touch the in-camera battery for months. Before a big event or vacation, I will tend to charge every battery I have including the one in-camera.
Otherwise, its just the grip that ever gets opened. Batteries do drain over time, so you will want to charge the in-camera battery eventually even if it is never used.

QuoteQuote:
When there are multiple batteries in the grip and camera, does the camera drain one battery at a time or all of them slowly?
The camera can be configured to use either battery first or try some mystical method of draining them both equally.
I make sure to se to use the Grip battery first. It is in this configuration page where you can also see the battery meter for each battery at the same time.

Note that Pentax is strange in how it switches batteries. If the battery in the grip drains down, the camera may turn off even though the battery in-camera is still 100%.
It seems you need to turn the camera off, then on again to actually switch batteries.
Sadly, the delay in time of turning the camera off will allow the grip battery to "re-charge" itself slightly.
So turning the camera on will again cause the Grip battery to be used -- for one or two shots.
I have repeated this a few times and finally had to remove the grip battery to ensure the in-camera battery would be used.

I don't know if the K3 and above are any better at handling this... I now simply carry extra batteries and swap before I get to that point.
I consider the in-camera battery an emergency use-only, kind of thing. :-)
11-16-2016, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Weight is also an issue. You can feel the weight when you two batteries.
Phew! talk about heavy. I think that was what made me decide to use one battery initially and opted for the grip side.

11-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I once broke out in a swet changing the body battery so I hired someone to take the grip off for me. Now that guy has moved away and I am in the process of interviewing new grip changers.How lazy do we get!
P.S. I forgot about the guy who has been with me forever that carries the whole damn thing. I'm gonna lose him though cause he's 97 and wants more money!

Last edited by honey bo bo; 11-16-2016 at 06:08 AM.
11-16-2016, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

I have two batteries - one in the body and one in the grip - because there were times that I exhausted the one in grip but did not have time to change. I also have two more spare batteries in my bag. May be an overkill, but I never want to be short on battery power.
11-16-2016, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to have the camera set to grip first, with batteries in both camera and grip. For the suspenders AND belt people, I also have 6 fresh AA's in the holder to quickly slip into the grip. I have suspenders AND belt AND elastic waist band.