Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 02:30 AM   #1

Pentax *ist DL - Pink Hue

I have recently bought a new Pentax K-70 to replace my Pentax *1st DL. In passing just to let everyone know I love the new camera! My intention was to pass on my *1st DL to a friend as a gift. Unfortunately over the last few weeks of using the camera, having owned it for 10 years or so without issues, there is now a pink hue on all the pictures. I have searched the web for similar issues and the consensus seems to be that it is the sensor which is at fault. Interestingly when I put the White Balance on manual the result are fine, but on automatic I get the pink hue.

Has anyone any thoughts on this, including whether it is worth trying to repair the camera so I can pass it on.

Any advice would be helpful.

11-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine had the same problem with her K-5, recently. Somehow, probably sheer inadvertence, she had moved the white balance off neutral. A few seconds work was all it took to return it to the centre.
11-17-2016, 03:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi RobA - many thanks for your reply. My White Balance has always been set to Auto, which I guess is the equivalent of your friend's Neutral. On this setting the result is all photos have this pink hue. All the other White Balance settings result in photos with a pink hue except the Manual Setting where the picture is perfect. Can anyone explain this?
11-17-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you set your white balance to Auto with the camera turned on, and then press the WB button and take a photo of the LCD screen?

11-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
This camera does not have a WB button. You have to go via the Fn settings to get at the White Button options. I have selected the Manual Setting here and that works fine. Not sure what you mean by taking a photo of the LCD screen. On this model I can only take pictures via the viewfinder - the LCD is for playback only.
11-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, yes. Pardon me. I was forgetting that the *istD series didn't display the white balance setting as a map on the LCD. I had to get my original *istD out and install a set of batteries, so I could see what you were meaning. From what you say, though, it seems that there is no problem with the sensor, as the manual WB settings don't give the pink hue to photos. I can't find anything in the manual for the *istD to adjust the auto setting, so I can only assume that such an adjustment is one for a technician to deal with. The manual talks about setting a custom WB, using a white or grey card, but nothing else.
11-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I have had a go at setting the custom WD and that works in terms of the Manual Setting which is good. As you say I will probably need a technician to sort the Auto setting. Still it is good to know it is not the sensor. Many thanks for all your really helpful advice.

11-17-2016, 05:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to head to work now If you do not have an answer tonight I will pull my DL out and install new batteries. I very seldom use A for WB but I will check things for you if you wish. It sounds like the camera is miss reading the light temp in Auto.
11-17-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know that camera, but you should check the following:
- SD card - is it working properly? Write errors can lead to pink or white streaks. Try another compatible SD card if possible, or try this card in another camera
- Filters - might sound silly, but make sure there is not filter mounted on the lens
- WB. White balance can cause such tint. You can try resetting camera to factory default settings, which should remove such custom options. Some cameras have two options that reset different features. Check the manual for details, as I don't know about resetting that camera.
- Jpeg mode. Not sure about that camera, but on newer ones you can choose different Jpeg modes, like Bright, Black and white, Vibrant, etc. You can also edit these, and change their colour tint. The reset mentioned above should clear this, as well.
- If its none of these, then it might be sensor issues. You can blow dust out of the card and battery slots, make sure the lens mount is clean and free of grime or damage, blow the mirror box clean.. and if none of this does it, then its probably beyond (simple) repair
Fixing or replacing the sensor would likely cost more than buying another camera second hand
11-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for such a response. I very much appreciate it. I followed Na Horuk's advice and reset, but that did not seem to resolve the issue. It did have a filter which I took off and the pictures were fine. I replaced the filter and there were still fine. Work that one out!! It it quite frustrating as all is well at the moment, but not sure I can trust it in the future to a new owner. The only thing that has changed is that the flash pops out indoors and outdoors no matter what the lighting conditions. Not sure what to make of that. I will keep using it for a while and see what happens.
11-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #11

I know that the Canon Powershot A series point & shoot cameras had an issue with a faulty sensor where the photos all had a pink to purple tone to them. The sensors had to be replaced.
11-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I seem to have read somewhere recently that the *istD series were not that fantastic on their auto white balance setting and would misread. I have seen this on my new-to-me *istDS; the auto white balance doesn't adequately compensate for tungsten, for instance.

If you pass your camera along, you will have to do so with caveats; if the new owner is getting it for nothing, IMO they have no cause for complaint. Back in the film era we would have had to screw on filters or change films to adapt between different lighting types anyway, so not that much is lost in having to do a spot of menu-diving.
11-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morrig47 Quote
The only thing that has changed is that the flash pops out indoors and outdoors no matter what the lighting conditions.
The flash should not pop up unless you have it selected in the Fn menu. It may be setting your white balance to flash, instead of AWB. Check your Fn menu and set flash to manual (the bottom key on the 4-way pad).
11-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks paulh. That did fix the flash popup issue. Having played around with the camera all afternoon and adjusting settings according to the advice on the forum I have come to the conclusion that I cannot pass on the camera. It is far too flaky - one minute shots are good then back to the pink hue. I have got a quote of nearly £100 to repair the camera based on the assumption it is the sensor. I have no guarantee it will be that of course and as Na Horuk correctly points out I could probably get an equivalent camera on the second hand market that works! So I will draw a line under this issue. Many, many thanks to everyone for your input. What a wonderful forum.