Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Can I synch the K20 time and date with my PC clock?

I'd like my K20D to have the same time and date as my computer but it's tricky to do that manually.

Is it possible to do this with any of the Pentax or third-party software?

Thanks!

11-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not aware of synch capabilities. Maybe in the cameras with GPS?

You can set the time fairly accurately in the setup menu.

I find that if I want accurate timing for my images, I take a picture of a clock with accurate (or at least with a known offset) time display with the camera. You can then compare the camera time reported in the image EXIF data and the displayed clock time to get the camera time offset. For best accuracy, do this both before and after any time-critical pictures. You can then take out a simple camera clock drift.

I'm a bit of a time maven: when we do our radio astronomy experiments, we know the time to a few billionths of a second (nanoseconds) at each site, and after the fact, we can determine the relative time between radio telescopes to a few trillionths of a second (picoseconds),
11-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I'm not aware of synch capabilities. Maybe in the cameras with GPS?

You can set the time fairly accurately in the setup menu.

I find that if I want accurate timing for my images, I take a picture of a clock with accurate (or at least with a known offset) time display with the camera. You can then compare the camera time reported in the image EXIF data and the displayed clock time to get the camera time offset. For best accuracy, do this both before and after any time-critical pictures. You can then take out a simple camera clock drift.

I'm a bit of a time maven: when we do our radio astronomy experiments, we know the time to a few billionths of a second (nanoseconds) at each site, and after the fact, we can determine the relative time between radio telescopes to a few trillionths of a second (picoseconds),
That seems like an obvious and easy solution that never would have occurred to me. Thanks for that.

I take cemetery photos and I want to synch GPS data (recorded on my Vaio UX GPS receiver) with my photos' date and time stamp using a program called GeoSetter.

I suppose if I stand on each grave for a certain amount of time the recording should be fairly accurate with a certain window.
11-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are a few options.

The O-GPS1 unit supports GPS Time Sync, which will produce an extremely accurate timestamp.

You can sync up time in EXIF data after the fact, some people even do that with film.

You can sync up time with a subjective clock, then have software like Lightroom fix the time in post.

11-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GPS isn't available for the K20D, but that's indeed a reliable solution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
GPS isn't available for the K20D, but that's indeed a reliable solution.
Ah, good point. Support started with the K5, K-r and 645D for anyone else who's curious.