Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LCD Night Vision Mode firmware update...again only in K1

again.... this is only for K1, what is the excuse that this very useful feature cannot be implement in previous cameras?

"Because the LCD doesn't have a red color display hardware that is needed for this update"????

The "Extended Bulb Timer" seem like another features can be implemented in old machines.

I am furious. Fuji constantly upgrade their old cameras with great updates and we don' get it.

11-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
again.... this is only for K1, what is the excuse that this very useful feature cannot be implement in previous cameras?

"Because the LCD doesn't have a red color display hardware that is needed for this update"????

The "Extended Bulb Timer" seem like another features can be implemented in old machines.

I am furious. Fuji constantly upgrade their old cameras with great updates and we don' get it.
some of the old camera's don't have the extra memory required in the firmware area to implement these additional features.
11-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

LCD Night Vision Mode firmware update...again only in K1 again.... this is only for K1, what is the excuse that this very useful feature cannot be implement in previous cameras? "Because the LCD doesn't have a red color display hardware that is needed for this update"???? The "Extended Bulb Timer" seem like another features can be implemented in old machines. I am furious. Fuji constantly upgrade their old cameras with great updates and we don' get it.
You'll probably get it sooner or later in newer camera models. If you can't wait, the best way is to buy a K1.
11-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote

Seriously, if you want the premium support and features, buy the premium camera. Don't whine about how you are "furious" that the package you agreed to buy based on a publicized feature set doesn't get free upgrades that were never promised.
you probably only hang around in PF (not judging though). look around how other companies treat their customers, especially Fuji. If you think continue this kind of practice is normal and acceptable, good for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You'll probably get it sooner or later in newer camera models. If you can't wait, the best way is to buy a K1.
This seem like a easy update for all Pentax cameras. no excuse here.

---------- Post added 11-18-2016 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
some of the old camera's don't have the extra memory required in the firmware area to implement these additional features.
it seem only Pentax camera max out in hardware limit for all their camera.
Initially I hope Ricoh take over will change this (they upgrade the GR significantly) but apparently not.

11-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Frankly, I think there are two key reasons: limited resources, and to encourage you to update to newer models. I'm sure that the next APS-C flagship will have the same new features as the K-1 and K-70.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd say it's mostly limited resources, and software complexity. I have a hard time believing their software developers are simply sitting idle, just to "encourage" people to update to newer models.

When people say "especially Fuji", do they actually mean "only Fuji"? I don't think the others are updating their cameras in a similar manner. Also, Pentax doesn't have such a high markup on their cameras - many of those Fuji cameras were priced higher than anything APS-C Pentax.

Perhaps Pentax/Ricoh Imaging should give up on their "Improved stability for general performance" and be more specific. Apparently they tend to miss even important things like AF-C improvements.
11-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This seem like a easy update for all Pentax cameras. no excuse here.
Easy, certainly. Time consuming, also certainly. Do you know that when doing product changes (including software), the whole thing has to go through testing to check that the change has not introduced additional bugs? Therefore, releasing firmware updates, even if possible, is time consuming, not as "free" as many would expect. It takes resources from the software verification team that are better utilized working on the firmware of the next camera models.

11-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Man software is no different than hardware and cost money to make. When you buy a camera, only a small part of the cost if the actual hardware. You also pay for the upgrades and the work of engineers, one way or another as these people don't do it for free. If you prefer the Fuji way of doing things: pay more up front and get more free software upgrade, that's your choice, no issue with that.
11-27-2016, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What makes Pentax people so defensive?

Constant cognitively dissonant comparisons and demands.
11-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could also be argued that Pentax make an attempt to be coherent in their offerings - they might feel, for example, that the general feature set up of cameras prior to the K3ii wasn't sufficiently aimed at night photography to justify the firmware change, if it is indeed possible - what the problem with the k-3ii would be,I wouldn't know, but I'm sure the decisions are rational and based on more than short term bottom-line thinking - Ricoh want to build the brand up, after all - I don't see them throwing away obvious opportunities to improve their reputation without good reason.