Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
The K, M, and A series lenses all will work without an adapter. That is the beauty of the Pentax digitals.

Naturally, you won't have the auto features or data. I never cared to auto focus. I thought auto aperture would be a benefit, but I have found it to be insignificant. You know the light conditions, what is the problem with a simple adjustment? You know the focus effect you want. What is the advantage? You will be 50% higher in focal length because of the smaller CCD area, 200mm becomes 300mm.

That said, I really like the workmanship of the of the earlier lenses. It is just the feel, the weight, the quality. Optically, they all look fine to me. I do not know enough to tell the difference. Reputation is very good. Besides, it is so cool to hook a 35 year-old lens up to a digital camera.

I had a 35-80 (???) SMC-A that died on me. The focus adjust was rough, I thought I could work on it. WRONG! It ended up in pieces. The build quality on that more-modern model was not like the older stuff. The barrels are plastic molded upon a thin helical thread insert. The older stuff is better built. My favorites are the older "SMC-M", the ones with a silver band around the barrel end. (???). I got a whole kit of these from an estate.

The "Takumar" lenses are cheaper. That is not to say that they are much worse, the distinction seems to get pretty thin as you go back in time. The Takumar and Takumar-A 70-200 takes a great picture and can be found for $20.00 - $30.00. I have several. This is a push-pull zoom. Very quick.

The SMC's are "Super Multi Coated" and get the premium price. Again, however, they are cheap compared to new quality lenses.

Have fun searching? Scrounge around for a deal, you can sell them for much more than you paid. Muhaha!