Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking to upgrade bodies

So, since my DS's shutter decided not to work I have been using it with a remote. Works, but is a pain.

So, I have a little (not much) money coming in in a month or so, and am thinking I may want to upgrade my body.

I can't do a K20.

But I can maybe do a K10 or a K200.

I normally shoot on older manual lenses. I do a lot of inside portrait length shots, and will take out a longer lens for shooting at the theme parks and in the outdoors.

I am going to be reading up on the Pentax site, but wondered what the impressions of each, differences of each are, and what you might think would fit my uses better?

slinky

07-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based upon your response and that you shoot mostly portraits with older K mounts, I would recoment looking for another DS, or perhaps an *istD.

Why? Simple, I assume for portraits you also use flash, and the D and DS are the only bodies that operate with dedicated flash in TTL mode which is necessdary for non "A" lenses.

Additionally, you mention possible upgrading to K10D or K200D. I can't speak of the K200D metering, but the K10D metering with manual lenses is by far inferior to that of the *istD. I know, I have got both, and have posted the differences.

I was hoping someone could show metering results for other bodies with older glass, but I have not seen anything as of yet.
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My recent experience with used bodies has made me skittish. I know mine issue was likely a fluke, but still...

Can you still find a DS body new?
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Go 2nd hand - like on this forum.

07-31-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went 2nd hand before, and now my shutter isn't working and I have no warranty. The repair charge would easily wipe out the money I saved.

The thing that moved me toward the newer bodies is that one of the reasons I am using the older lenses is because i am not in a place to buy the newer ones. but I do get frustrated when i miss a shot because I couldn't get the focus in time, or have the exposure wrong. It's fun to shoot with older lenses, but sometimes I just use the kit lens and autofocus so I don't miss the shots.

I should correct my first post. It's not really portraits, it really candid shots. "Portrait length" is a bit confusing. I am normally shooting candid shots, like with my 50mm, and getting images that are similar in framing to a portrait.

I think I am definitely looking for new. With warranty.

I also like the thought of shake reduction. I used to shoot some indoor event images at the church I work for. Normally free hand on a longer zoom. I have had some good results, but sometimes I wish for shake reduction.

Plus I am not opposed to being closer to the current tech. There are lenses out now that, if I were to buy, wouldn't focus with the DS, right? 10 mega as opposed to 6? Well, I haven't blown up an image beyond a 5x7 so that isn't a huge concern, yet.

I am not completely shutting down the notion of getting another DS, but I wonder if the k200 or k10 wouldn't be a better move.
07-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K200d

I think for what you describe, I would recommend the K200D as the only viable and sensible choice right now.

The K200D clearly has better image quality and better jpegs out of the camera (than the K10) for what I have seen so far. But then the in-camera jpegs of the DS is just rather blurry, anyway, honestly speaking.

But do note that if you need TTL auto flash support if you do have some of the old Pentax dedicated flash guns, neither the K10D nor the K200D (nor even the K20) will do it. The DS/DS2 was the last model which could do the job.

Another option is that if your DS did serve you well mostly, got an used one at a cheap price and to wait if there will be something *real* to come in the Pentax land.
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
MnR

Hi,

If you a little nervous about buying second hand, Try buying from KEH. I buy from them and have had NO PROBLEMS with them for service,warranty or any other problems.

Rudy
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by MnR Quote
Hi,

If you a little nervous about buying second hand, Try buying from KEH. I buy from them and have had NO PROBLEMS with them for service,warranty or any other problems.

Rudy

I agree about KEH, but compare their used prices with new from Adorama...KEH used is occasionally higher than new.

07-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yet another thumbs' up for KEH. If you buy something from them, get it, and find that it doesn't work properly, then they'll take it back--no problems. I once ordered a zoom lens from and when I got it, I noticed it had a really bad case of zoom creep, so back it went with no problems.

KEH Camera: Pentax Digital - Camera Bodies

They've got a couple of DS bodies, one in LN condition.

HTH,
Heather
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
krs
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The K200D clearly has better image quality and better jpegs out of the camera (than the K10) for what I have seen so far.
Given the K10 and K200 use the same sensor, how can the K200D have a better image?
08-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
Given the K10 and K200 use the same sensor, how can the K200D have a better image?
D60 and Sony A100 etc. use the same sensor, so why the images look different? :-)
08-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentaxians have *real* cameras and have taken *real* photos with them, which we have yet to see from you, RiceHigh.
08-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

People, let's not get overly personal.

RH does have a point with regards to K200D image quality. Even though the sensor maybe identical, I have seen a rough side by side comparison of some jpeg images from the 2 cameras on the same subject and although the difference are slight, imo the K200D looks a tad better. The K200D was after all introduced later than the K10D, so I would hazard a guess some little tweaks were made.
08-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on KEH and Adorama.

For $250-300, it might be worth the risk.