Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I just got a deal for K3ii (open box) for 650$ and K70 New for 600$ shall i go for K3ii ??

11-24-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
I just got a deal for K3ii (open box) for 650$ and K70 New for 600$ shall i go for K3ii ??
I have a K-70 and find it to be a fantastic camera.

That said, the K3II extra focus capability and the 2 SD card slots are a great upgrade. Imagine choosing to shoot a wedding event to find an error when you try to download the images, on professional cameras you can have the image written to both SD cards at the same time, it's Camera RAID

So for sporting events, the 1/8000 vs 1/6000 and the faster fps for continuous high speed captures could also be the reason to select the K3II over the K-70.

I'm really amazed with the K-70 that I've had since August, but while the IQ is totally amazing I'm frustrated that the AF has not improved at all over my older K-50. I knew that going into the purchase, but though that there should be more to it than just adding AFC to video recording. When I do video, I've changed back to AFS as the hunting during recording is disappointing.

If at the time it hadn't been 850 vs 650 at the time of my purchase, I'd have snapped up K3II without hesitation. K3II has the pixel shift and the nice composition adjust feature, you can setup your tripod and move the sensor by the directional pad rather than having to move everything for that minor adjustment.

I might just have to pick up one if the pricing comes down further next year in case of requests for those photo events that cannot be repeated and must be sure to be on one of the SD cards.

Last edited by SeaRefractor; 11-24-2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarity
11-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

For 50 bucks, definitely.... there's way more than $50 if value in a K-3 over a K-70. Faster AF, 27 AF points instead of 9 or 11.two card slots, 8.3 FPS instead of 6. I'd go for the K-3ii even if it was $150 difference.
11-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.... There's way more than $50 if value in a k-3 over a k-70. Faster af, 27 af points instead of 9 or 11.two card slots, 8.3 fps instead of 6.

yes! ! ! !

11-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

At the same time the K-70 has a swivel screen, WiFi and better image quality.

Granted, I'd still say the K3 II is better value, but the K70 does have certain advantages.
11-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
At the same time the K-70 has a swivel screen, WiFi and better image quality.

Granted, I'd still say the K3 II is better value, but the K70 does have certain advantages.
I forgot the swivel screen. That's one of the features I use most on my K-1, not to be quickly dismissed. If you shoot low angle macro, it sure is sweet.

11-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Wifi on my K-1 a whole lot. It gives me something to do while I'm waiting for an Uber, waiting on dinner, etc. Remote liveview is also handy. I always think that a good photographer should have some photos of themselves.

11-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I use Wifi on my K-1 a whole lot. It gives me something to do while I'm waiting for an Uber,
For us dinosaurs, could you explain what you do? I've never even read the manual to figure out what my wifi options might be.
11-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For us dinosaurs, could you explain what you do? I've never even read the manual to figure out what my wifi options might be.
It's really a process that would be better demo'ed with a video, but...here's a quick text tutorial:

1) [First Time] Connect Tablet + Camera
  • Go into Menu->[Wrench]->2->Wi-Fi->Communication Info. Write down the password.
  • Go to Menu->[Camera]->4->Composition Adjust. Make sure this is turned off; it's a weird Wi-Fi bug dating back to Flucard usage.
  • Exit the menu. Turn the quick dial to Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi on by turning the quick dial's mated dial.
  • Over on your tablet, connect to the network your K-1 just made. Mine is called PENTAX_69FEDB, for example. After connecting for the first time, your tablet should remember your camera's password.
  • Open the Image Sync app on your tablet.
N.B. To save battery power, you might want to turn off your K-1's display. To do that, double tap the info button, and use the left/right arrows and OK button to select display off. I recommend turning Wi-Fi off with the quick-dial before turning the camera off when you're done using Wi-Fi, as it acts a bit strangely otherwise.

2) Working the app
  • The app has three screens. You can switch screens by swiping with your finger across the middle of the screen, or by tapping the icons at the row at the bottom of the screen. Image Sync opens at the Playback screen. You don't need to be connected to your camera to use this screen, and as the name suggests, it lets you view images you've transferred from your camera already.
  • The next screen is the Transfer screen. This lets you view images on each memory card, and if you long press an image, you can move it to the Playback screen by tapping the Transfer button (a pictograph of a camera with waves coming out of the top). You can queue up multiple images to be moved over, and in the latest version of the app, the app has an in-app notification that lets you know when transfers are complete. Sharing directly to Facebook/YouTube is also supposed to be possible, but I've never done that from the app. I just move things to my camera roll and then share from there.
  • The third screen activates live view. If Composition Adjustment was not turned off, this screen will be black, instead. You get an active viewfinder display, and control over most camera settings: white balance and depending on the mode your camera is currently in: shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO and green button. Autofocus can be triggered by touching the screen at the point where you want the camera to AF.
11-24-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-3 II - A Detailed Feature Comparison - TechTricks : Photography tips and Tricks

The K-3ii will last longer and (IMO) retain its value better. It will feel like a better camera in everyday use - for example, the quiet shutter is great, and AF will be faster and more accurate, better back-button focusing, dedicated ISO button, etc etc. The question is whether you would miss an articulating screen, wifi and the lighter weight of the K-70 enough that it would be worth passing up what is overall a better camera for a similar price.
11-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
I have a K-70 and find it to be a fantastic camera.

That said, the K3II extra focus capability and the 2 SD card slots are a great upgrade. Imagine choosing to shoot a wedding event to find an error when you try to download the images, on professional cameras you can have the image written to both SD cards at the same time, it's Camera RAID

So for sporting events, the 1/8000 vs 1/6000 and the faster fps for continuous high speed captures could also be the reason to select the K3II over the K-70.

I'm really amazed with the K-70 that I've had since August, but while the IQ is totally amazing I'm frustrated that the AF has not improved at all over my older K-50. I knew that going into the purchase, but though that there should be more to it than just adding AFC to video recording. When I do video, I've changed back to AFS as the hunting during recording is disappointing.

If at the time it hadn't been 850 vs 650 at the time of my purchase, I'd have snapped up K3II without hesitation. K3II has the pixel shift and the nice composition adjust feature, you can setup your tripod and move the sensor by the directional pad rather than having to move everything for that minor adjustment.

I might just have to pick up one if the pricing comes down further next year in case of requests for those photo events that cannot be repeated and must be sure to be on one of the SD cards.
Thank you for giving good example
11-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

The K3ii is built for 200k shots, usually the k50/30 are rated for 100k....has the K70 been built for more than this amount???
11-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The K3ii is built for 200k shots, usually the k50/30 are rated for 100k....has the K70 been built for more than this amount???
There's no indication that it uses a different shutter from the K-30/50 series.
11-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The K-30/50 shutters may be rated for 100K, but {as I'm sure you're aware} many don't die of failed shutters. Getting the lower-tier camera line to reliably last to 100K would be achievement enough, and for many of us it would mean having a camera that outlived us {looking back, I seem to take fewer than 1K shots per year ... I don't make much use of bursts, and I take only so many unique pictures a year}
11-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I seem to take fewer than 1K shots per year ... I don't make much use of bursts, and I take only so many unique pictures a year}
That's fine, ive shot 1200 on a Saturday drive, in burst mode....and just about always use it on most of my cameras when I'm shooting surf action.

---------- Post added 11-25-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
There's no indication that it uses a different shutter from the K-30/50 series
In the review section, the spec details of other Pentax cameras have the number of actions its rated for....K70 has been left blank, so its a mystery!

I haven't bothered to look on Ricohs website, I'm not buying a k70 at this stage.