Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
That's fine, ive shot 1200 on a Saturday drive, in burst mode....and just about always use it on most of my cameras when I'm shooting surf action.

---------- Post added 11-25-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

In the review section, the spec details of other Pentax cameras have the number of actions its rated for....K70 has been left blank, so its a mystery!
Which review section? If you're talking about the Pentax DSLR Comparison tool. It's great tool, but it's not put together by the gods. People input info or leave it blank based on how they're feeling. I'd be more worried about aperture failure.

11-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go to the top of the page, clik on cameras...then clik on DSLRs...clik on K70, then look at the box labelled Shutter!

---------- Post added 11-25-16 at 06:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
it's not put together by the gods.

Are you sure, I thought Pentax was a GOD?....now I suppose yr guna say theres no Santa too!
11-25-2016, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you sure, I thought Pentax was a GOD?....now I suppose yr guna say theres no Santa too!
Santa is real, but sadly he is a canon shooter!
11-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Santa is a rip-off anyway - St. Nicholas (called Sinterklaas in Dutch, which then turned into Santa Claus elsewhere) and Father Christmas are the originals

In most regions in Germany Christmas presents are delivered by the 'Christkind' (baby Jesus). However, we also celebrate St. Nicholas' Day on 6th December. In remembrance of St. Nicholas reportedly helping the poor in secrecy by putting gold coins in their boots at night, children put out their boots/shoes on the evening of the 5th and find them stuffed with nuts, tangerines, chocolates and a little present (something small, like a book) the next morning.

11-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #35
Pentaxian

That's fine, ive shot 1200 on a Saturday drive, in burst mode....and just about always use it on most of my cameras when I'm shooting surf action.
In the review section, the spec details of other Pentax cameras have the number of actions its rated for....K70 has been left blank, so its a mystery!
I haven't bothered to look on Ricohs website, I'm not buying a k70 at this stage.
And that is probably a wise decision for you. The best camera for you may be whatever follows the K-3ii.
11-25-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The best camera for you may be
One of the 24 that I own, or maybe a newby that comes along when the $$$ do!

---------- Post added 11-26-16 at 05:16 AM ----------

Santa is real, but sadly he is a canon shooter
That's only in Northern Hemisphere! When he crosses the equator he shoots PENTAX!
11-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Mrs. Claus sadly is a Nikon shooter.

11-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Mrs. Claus sadly is a Nikon shooter.
I'm hoping that's his daughter not his wife... or he is robbing the cradle.
11-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back to the topic ...
QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
fourm ratings for K70 =8.3 and K3=8.8
And the K-3ii gets 8.6 overall (Pentax K-3 II Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews). The only difference in ratings from the K-3 is that Value is assessed at 9 for the K-3ii and 10 for the K-3 - a difference which depends on the price at the time of the review. K-3ii would surely score 10 for value at $US650.

For those occasions when you can use pixel shift (tripod shooting, non-moving subjects), the models that have it would edge ahead. The tweaking of the processor on the K-70 gives marginally better results than on the K-3 models on the PF test. But overall there would be very little between the three cameras for image quality.

Really the choice is based on features and price. Price is more-or-less out of the equation with the K-3ii and K-70 only $50 apart, so it comes down to features, and what type of camera you want.

Going from a consumer-level camera to flagship model is not just a matter of saying "This one does A, B and C" and "This one does D, E and F". I went from a K-30 to a K-3. Even putting aside the improved image quality, everything is nicer about the K-3: the feeling of solidity, the quiet of the shutter, the feel of the dials, the number and placement of the buttons, the speed and accuracy of the autofocus, the quiet and effectiveness of the dust removal system, and many other little things. The lighter weight of the K-30 is an advantage in carrying it, but I have got used to the extra heft of the K-3 and it's great with larger lenses. The overall user experience is much better.

For about the same money, I'd say get the K-3ii unless you regard the articulating screen, wifi or lighter weight of the K-70 as absolutely essential.
11-27-2016, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

K70 main features compared to K3 are pixel shift, slightly better high iso and articulated screen. In theory video mode is better thanks to new sensor but in practice, it doesn't look that it work that well (see PF review). This is an entry/mid level camera with the expected life/durability. Out of 3 friend and my father having K30, already 2 out of 4 failed. We can hope K70 to do better, we can't be sure. To be noted for both that it failed after not using the camera for a few months. The K70 is also lighter in the bag.

K3 is a pro (or semi pro) level camera. His life expectency is much longer. It has more direct access control for better ergonomics and can make twice the number of photo with his battery. The build quality is much better, the camera is more sturdy but this come at the cost of an heavier body. In term of features, the AF is much, much better in all conditions. For action/sports, for anything with shallow dof, for low light, when precision count. Metering and while balance are handled better overall. To me this is the better camera because it improve significantly on core feature while basically K70 has gadgets (pixel shift, PDAF sensor) and may not provide the same life expectancy.

If articulated screen is key for you rather than great/fast accurate AF, then K70 is a no brainer. If you shoot mostly JPEG, this is complex, as you are more likely to get slightly off white balance/exposure but will get better high iso out of it. If you do action/sport, portraiture with AF instead of MF, shoot anything that move actually, you'll want the K3. If you want to invest on something that last, that's K3 again.

K3-II vs K3 is mostly pixel shift and astrotracer.

If you want it all, wait for K3/K3-II successor or go K1 now. You'll get much better high iso but this would require some lens investment.
11-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you shoot mostly JPEG, this is complex, as you are more likely to get slightly off white balance/exposure
Why are you more likely to get slightly off white balance? Doesn't the K-3 have Multi Auto White Balance?
11-27-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why are you more likely to get slightly off white balance? Doesn't the K-3 have Multi Auto White Balance?
It does, but I think Nicholas was referring to the K-70. It has 77-segment metering, whereas the K-3/K-3ii have 86,000 pixel metering. This is what the PF review of the K-70 (Part 13) says about white balance:
"
As in the K-S2, the white balance system does an excellent job of accurately reproducing colors in all but the most difficult circumstances. Daylight colors generally come as close to replicating reality as you could hope for, though at night and under heavy artificial lighting, the K-70 has a tendency to produce a yellow cast. This is common to pretty much every AWB system ever created, though some cameras (like the Pentax K-3 II) do a better job under these conditions than others.One place where the K-70’s automatic white balance excels is in extreme high-ISO shooting, where it maintains more natural colors than either the K-S2 or K-3 II. It does this in part by desaturating the images—at ISO 102,400, photos from the K-70 look quite faded—but the color rendering nevertheless remains more faithful than with other Pentax cameras.
In our experience, the K-70’s metering is quite accurate, though it may have a slight tendency to overexpose in bright daylight situations. That could be problematic, since highlights are much harder to recover than shadows. Of course, this varies from lens to lens. Regardless, since the matrix metering mode only evaluates 77 segments, it is not as good as the newer 86k-pixel system found in the Pentax flagship when isolated portions of the image are excessively bright or dark."

Still, it's not all one-way for jpg shooters. While AWB metering isn't as good as on the K-3/K-3ii, the K-70 has clarity enhancement and a better in-camera HDR option than on other models, which would be useful to those who shoot jpg-only or who want better results without waiting to post-process a RAW file.

---------- Post added 11-28-16 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you want it all, wait for K3/K3-II successor
Bearing in mind that it might not arrive until mid-2017, and will certainly cost a lot more than $US650.

Last edited by Des; 11-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.
12-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

"If articulated screen is key for you rather than great/fast accurate AF, then K70 is a no brainer. If you shoot mostly JPEG, this is complex, as you are more likely to get slightly off white balance/exposure but will get better high iso out of it. If you do action/sport, portraiture with AF instead of MF, shoot anything that move actually, you'll want the K3."

The idea is the K70 will have slightly worse white balance as well as slightly worse exposure... And almost be more likely to be wrongly focussed. But the JPEG will have significant improvement for high iso...
12-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Bearing in mind that it might not arrive until mid-2017, and will certainly cost a lot more than $US650.
It is an upgrade, so there may be reasons for upgrading. And depending of theses reasons the priority may be some features, the price or the timing.

If for example you really want articulated screen that's K1, KS2 or K70. If you really want great high iso, that's by far K1. If you really want great AF, that K3, K3-II or K1... If you want a reflex that not too big/heavy that more KS1 and better to take K70 than K3 or K1. If you want it all, that's K1. If K1 too expensive, big/heavy, then waiting for next APSC flagship, maybe mid next 2017, you'll get it for half of K1 price.

The reason given was to upgrade to "high end camera" between K3 and K70. For me K3 is highend and K70 is mid/entry level and can be seen as Kr replacement. So that's K3 but maybe that was not really the question.
12-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #45
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just got a K-S2 to replace my K-30 as a second camera, to go with my K-3. First impressions: The articulating screen is a great feature, for using the camera overhead, or at ground level, or just more surreptitiously. The clarity feature produces better OOC jpgs than I get on the K-3. WiFi is clunky, and I wouldn't rely on it as the main means of transferring images, but it's fun being able to shoot remotely. It's compact and relatively light-weight. I'm very pleased with it. But it feels like a toy compared to the K-3. I think some of these observations would also apply to K-70 v K-3/K-3ii.