Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
upgrading from KR to K3 or K70

Hi,

I have Pentax KR with Sigma art 30mm ,Pentax 55-300mm,Sigma 10-20mm lens and now i want to upgrade to high end camera i would like to know which one i
My Usage will be mostly Indoor Events (low light), Kids,Portraits and Landscape(less use). considering the Low light performance and price factor which one i should go for ?

Please help me

-- hide signature --
warm Regards,
Ajeya
Proud Owner of: PENTAX KR + 18-55MM + 55-300MM

11-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #2

No brainier IMHO K3
11-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k70 supposedly has better noise reduction - if you shout jpg only this may matter. K70 also offers pixel shift.

I personally love my k-3. I'd have a hard time swapping it for a k-70 but that's based mostly on lack of experience with the k70.
11-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
No brainier IMHO K3
Aaactually - the K3 does not (and maybe never will) support KAF4. There is a good chance all, or most, future Pentax lenses will sport that bayonett, so by buying a K3 (instead of a K3 II or K70) he or she is potentially shutting themselves out of the possibility to buy future Pentax lenses.

11-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hold off until next year to see what Pentax does with their next generation APS-C flagship.

If you can't wait, I'd highly recommend the K-3II over the K-3. It can use KAF4 lenses. I'm guessing that the future batch of Pentax lenses will require KAF4 compatibility.
11-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Aaactually - the K3 does not (and maybe never will) support KAF4.
Spoke too soon Mr F. New firmware released today for KAF4 support in the K-3.

K-3 is great, but there's a case to be made for K-70. Pixel shift, articulating screen, Wifi, lighter weight. See the K-70 review: Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Depends what matters most to you.
11-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

K-3 is great, but there's a case to be made for K-70. Pixel shift, articulating screen, Wifi, lighter weight. See the K-70 review: Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Depends what matters most to you.
For me "articulating screen, Wifi, lighter weight." something making me lean towards it. Also the price of k70 for Black friday is going down to 500$ (Approx) so feeling to buy it.

---------- Post added 11-23-2016 at 11:16 PM ----------

how is the lowlight performance of k-70 compared to k3 ? considering fourm ratings for K70 =8.3 and K3=8.8

11-23-2016, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a detailed comparison of the specifications, including your current camera: Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
how is the lowlight performance of k-70 compared to k3 ?
Same sensor so you wouldn't expect much difference. In this comparison the K-70 fared well against the K-3ii (which would be virtually identical to the K-3) in high ISO shooting: Pentax K-70 Review - Sharpness & Noise | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Of more significance than these minor differences is the fact that the flagship models (K-3 and K-3ii) have a better autofocus system. The K-70 has the same system as the K-5iis. It should be much better than on the K-r, but not as good as the K-3 (including in low light). See this comparison of AF between the K-5iis and the K-3: Pentax K-3 Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flagships also have better metering system. One of the reasons I bought the K-1 was for the autoexposure lock button, so I could spot meter, AEL, and recompose, but the metering system has just been so much better than the K-30 I've never needed to touch the button except to test it out.
11-24-2016, 04:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wooohohoho - I just stumbled upon this. I certainly did speak too soon!
11-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

certainly did speak too soon!
You weren't the only one. I'd posted in the petition thread joining the dots and saying it wouldn't happen. Pentax is not doomed. They just didn't handle the PR well - could have avoided a lot of angst by saying at Photokina that they were working on it. Pentax is on the up: a great credit to Ricoh in a very difficult market, in which even giants like Canon, Nikon and Sony are finding it tough.

It's a great time to be buying a Pentax. K-3 or K-70 are both excellent options.
11-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd posted in the petition thread joining the dots and saying it wouldn't happen. Pentax is not doomed. They just didn't handle the PR well - could have avoided a lot of angst by saying at Photokina that they were working on it.
Frankly, that's exactly the stance I took - either they can't do it, then their PR is terrible for not letting us know, or they don't want to, then that's bad customer service. I tended to think they can do it, but most people on here defended Pentax by claiming it's probably technically impossible, and came up with all sorts of engineering explanations why that might be the case

Now we know that it was, in fact, possible, but are left to wonder whether Pentax was working on these updates from the beginning, or were surprised by the number of complaints and stir they caused, and reversed their stance. We'll never know ...
11-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankly, that's exactly the stance I took - either they can't do it, then their PR is terrible for not letting us know, or they don't want to, then that's bad customer service. I tended to think they can do it, but most people on here defended Pentax by claiming it's probably technically impossible, and came up with all sorts of engineering explanations why that might be the case

Now we know that it was, in fact, possible, but are left to wonder whether Pentax was working on these updates from the beginning, or were surprised by the number of complaints and stir they caused, and reversed their stance. We'll never know ...
Ricoh is so opaque about things like this, and the mechanical video stabilisation. It bothers me more than when Apple does it, for some reason.
11-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Ricoh is so opaque about things like this, and the mechanical video stabilisation. It bothers me more than when Apple does it, for some reason.
I don't know whether it's just Ricoh, or Japanese companies in general. I do seem to recall an interview with them though in which they did comment on the video thing, claiming that a) the noise it created and that was caught on the built-in microphones was an issue, and b) that there were heat issues with the stabilisation running constantly.
11-24-2016, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

You weren't the only one. I'd posted in the petition thread joining the dots and saying it wouldn't happen. Pentax is not doomed. They just didn't handle the PR well - could have avoided a lot of angst by saying at Photokina that they were working on it. Pentax is on the up: a great credit to Ricoh in a very difficult market, in which even giants like Canon, Nikon and Sony are finding it tough.

It's a great time to be buying a Pentax. K-3 or K-70 are both excellent options.
Pentax seems to have a culture of total secrecy. When I was on jury duty some years ago, we were told that the court-approved definition of "reasonable doubt" is basically the level of doubt that would cause you to take no action if you don't need to take action; using that definition, I apply reasonable doubt to any potential action by Pentax. That means I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised by Pentax. The downside for Pentax is that I don't buy as much, or as soon, as I might; I bought my Q-7 two years ago only when I became convinced that no EVF-equipped Q would be forthcoming soon; I would be buying a K-70 + new PLM 55-300mm lens around now if I were convinced that no K-02 based on the K-70 will be coming out in the next year. {but the design of the K-70, and Pentax comments / lack of comment, leaves reasonable doubt in my mind}