Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax on TV last night.

Last night's episode of Curse of Oak Island on the History Channel included a very visible Pentax camera strap as it was being lifted back out from an old well where they wanted a shot of a rock with what looked like a triangle with an eye in the center carved out of it. Then showed the back of the camera as they looked at the shot. Went by a little too fast for me to tell what body it was. Was fun to see the Pentax brand displayed on TV.

11-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I thought this was referring to a TV ad spot (i.e. Pentax commercial) and was about to collect my chin off of the floor! (I should know better )
11-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always look for camera brands in movies and tv shows now, have only spotted a couple Pentax in older movies.

Does Pentax ever do tv adds? I see Canon adds this time of year but can't recall ever seeing Pentax or even Nikon adds.
11-23-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Does Pentax ever do tv adds?
there was a TV add for the zoom-70 zoom compact camera back in the late 1980's but that's honestly the only one I remember

Last edited by ffking; 11-23-2016 at 03:17 PM.
11-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always look for camera brands in movies and tv shows now, have only spotted a couple Pentax in older movies.

Does Pentax ever do tv adds? I see Canon adds this time of year but can't recall ever seeing Pentax or even Nikon adds.
The Pentax on "Stranger Things" is a ME, as shown in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/45759-pentax-mo...ml#post3764166.

Best regards,
11-23-2016, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Canon does TV ads, but in my lifetime it is the only brand I remember doing so. That being said there was a series of ads for the Spotmatic featuring the "Pentax Girl" intended for other than the U.S. market. Those are pretty well-known.

Steve
11-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Canon does TV ads, but in my lifetime it is the only brand I remember doing so. That being said there was a series of ads for the Spotmatic featuring the "Pentax Girl" intended for other than the U.S. market. Those are pretty well-known.

Vintage Pentax Commercial - YouTube

Steve
Nice. I wish we could have something new.

11-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nikon used to have tv ads featuring Ashton Kutcher, the actor.
11-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax Girl >> Rebel Agassi
11-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm watching re-runs of NYPD Blue on Netflix right now. In this episode, which I am watching while also grazing the Forum on my phone, a serial killer is shot outside the station from a nearby roof. Shortly thereafter a detective carries a long-arm into the Squad and says, "We located this. Heckler & Koch MP5 with a Pentax scope. The gun has been used but the scope is brand new - that's an expensive scope. Best quality."
11-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What? No one else watched Curse of Oak Island last night?
11-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@dcshooter The telescope factory was damaged in the Fukushima earthquake and the factory and product line were abandoned. I think the rifle scopes were also made there. Spotting scopes are still in the US catalog but OpticsPlanet doesn't show Pentax in their brand selector. I was aware the various non-camera products were sold to Seiko, Hoya and others in the dark days. I once had a pair of eyeglasses with Pentax lenses and my Optician still has a few Pentax counter stands in his shop.
11-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Funnily enough, the holding group for the surveying instruments is called TI Asahi Limited. It's a new company spun off by Hoya and not the "original" Asahi Kogaku.
Just think - if Hoya and SPARXX hadn't plundered Asahi (Pentax Corp) there's a strong possibility the entire enterprise would have collapsed and we wouldn't have cameras.
11-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm watching re-runs of NYPD Blue on Netflix right now. In this episode, which I am watching while also grazing the Forum on my phone, a serial killer is shot outside the station from a nearby roof. Shortly thereafter a detective carries a long-arm into the Squad and says, "We located this. Heckler & Koch MP5 with a Pentax scope. The gun has been used but the scope is brand new - that's an expensive scope. Best quality."
A year or so back I bought an old ring flash from the USA off eBay. It was for a Pentax and it has been engraved with "CCPD" - I assume some US police department, maybe Corpus Christi PD?
11-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

They were using a K-x in the episode of The Curse of Oak Island.

Rick