Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The K-3ii will also allow you to use the 55-300mm PLM, which I think is an exceptional good value lens especially for travel purposes.

The 55-300mm was already one of the best "consumer zooms", the re-tractability and new coatings improve on it.

11-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-70 would be a step up from the K-50 too and is not a huge investment. Since you are not so well protected as a consumer in the US, maybe get an extended warranty to be care free to use it for three years or so.
11-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
The K-3ii will also allow you to use the 55-300mm PLM, which I think is an exceptional good value lens especially for travel purposes.
The latest K-50 and K-3 firmware upgrades allow KA F4 autofocus on the 55-300mm PLM. Pentax K-50 Firmware v1.10 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
The 55-300mm was already one of the best "consumer zooms", the re-tractability and new coatings improve on it.
I believe the HD DA 55-300mm WR has the same coatings as the PLM version and is 1/3 to 1/2 stop faster. The comparison I saw seemed to show equivalent IQ when the same apertures were used. The advantage of the PLM other than more compact carry size, is silent, faster and more reliable auto-focus.
11-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

^^ The PLM version has a new optical formula and is considered to be a bit sharper.

11-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

If you do get a K3 or k3ll in order to use a PLM KAF-4 lens requires the firmware upgrade for your camera.
11-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
All it really lacks compared to the K-3II is GPS, astro-tracer and pixel-shift resolution for stills photography - nice features, but hardly essential (do you really need them?). However, you do get an on-board flash which is useful in so many ways, particularly as a trigger for off-camera flash units.
You can get the optional external GPS unit, though - the O-GPS1. I'd rather have it integrated, though.
11-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you went with a k-3, you'd notice the difference, and will be blown away. The k-3ii is not a body I've tried myself (only the original k-3), but I can't imagine it would be worse! as far as APSC cameras go, the k-3 series are hard to beat

11-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... However, you do get an on-board flash which is useful in so many ways, particularly as a trigger for off-camera flash units.

Choice, choices
Who cares to use off-camera flash unit(s) won't bother to put a pocket size small flash unit to trigger it anyway!
11-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Carl7253 Quote
Background: I am on a student exchange in India for one year. My Pentax k-50 has started giving me issues (The exposures are coming out all over the place, even in manual). When I get back to the states I want to work into the higher level enthusiast level and try to touch the lower end of pro photography. Travel+ college does not leave me with a ton of wiggle room, but I do have around $1,000 set aside for an upgrade. I have four lenses, two kit lenses, a 70mm f/2.4 limited and a 17-50 f/2.8.

Should I fix the k-50 and wait for a potential k-3 III or buy a K-3 II now? I have been debating on what to do for a few weeks; help would be much appreciated.
It seems to me that your K-50 has the aperture control block issue. The answer to your issue all depends on time and money you want to spend. IF you have time and money, I'd highly recommend waiting for the K-3II successor.

If you need something quick, then get the K-3 II.

If your K-50 is still under warranty, get it repaired.

If your K-50 is not under warranty, now you have to determine if you have the money to spend on repairing it and the time waiting for the K-3 II successor, or if you just have enough for the K-3II.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd probably just go for it. Whatever replaces the K-3 will probably be more expensive, and the K-3 is already a pretty big upgrade over the K-50 in just about every area
Probably more expensive, but not but much. The APS-C flagship has been slowly lowering in initial price, every release. I'd expect it to be under 1000 USD at launch. K-3II is currently 850 USD. So a difference of 150 at most.

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Another argument for acting now or "very soon" is that the K-3 II APS-C successor is niether rumoured nor announced. This means your waiting time would be long, during which time you'll find yourself frustrated. The K-3 II is a body that will sell well when the time comes to upgrade.
Or one could become rather frustrated if you act now, then 6 months later they launch the K-3 II successor with big leaps to useful features. They're already selling for 650 used. I don't think the price is going up on them over the immediate time.

But that is another option perhaps? Just buying a used K-3II, not fixing the K-50, then in 6-12 months when the K-3 II successor is launched selling the K-3II for 450-600 dollars and grabbing it. That is a gamble though because what if it breaks in the meantime? You have no warranty so that's more money out of pocket.

Again, OP, you have options. But these options largely come down to how much time and money you want to spend.
11-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally do need the GPS with how much traveling I will be doing in the next 8-10 months. I could try to rember the places I go, but Indian geography is not my strongsuit. On my k-50 I never did use the flash because I dont like the harsh direct effect of the on bord flash.

It seems that you have an easy chois then. Good luck with your future K-3II.
11-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, lots of great advice! I had heard that the Pentax forums had a good community, but man you guys blew it out of the water. It seems like it comes down to choosing a k-3 or a k-3II. I personally do need the GPS with how much traveling I will be doing in the next 8-10 months. I could try to rember the places I go, but Indian geography is not my strongsuit. On my k-50 I never did use the flash because I dont like the harsh direct effect of the on bord flash. I have gotten around this by always keeping a small hikeing head lamp in my camera backpack.

Firm wear was brought up several times during this disscushion, do you think out dated firm ware could be the problem with my k-50? The reson I did not look into it before is because it was working just fine for months prior to the issue. Eather way it is time for an upgrade.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice, it has helped to set my mind at rest.

Carl
I have both the K50 and the K3. A firmware update was just released for the K50. Personally I would suggest the K3ii over the K3 for you. I use the O-GPS1 unit on my K3 for GPS but at times it can be combersome and you have to carry extra batteries. With the O-GPS1 unit mounted on you can not mount a flash or use the pop-up flash anyway. With the K3ii you can use GPS and still mount a flash. For landscapes Pixel Shift has a lot of potential. As for the K50 both of the K3's are light years ahead of it.
11-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can get the optional external GPS unit, though - the O-GPS1. I'd rather have it integrated, though.
Yes, that's an option - another item to buy, though, and as you say, nicer to have integrated if it's something you will use.

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Who cares to use off-camera flash unit(s) won't bother to put a pocket size small flash unit to trigger it anyway!
Again, a pocket size small flash is one more thing to buy - and something else that needs batteries. All I'm saying is, the on-board flash can be useful. I rarely use mine if I'm shooting my K-3, and if I'm triggering off-camera flashes I tend to use radio - but there are occasions where it comes in handy.
11-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #28
Pentaxian

There are always compromises to make. The K-70 is cheap so a missing gps unit can be forgiven. The K-3 II has it built in but de OBF had to make room for it. The K-70 can't act as a pttl-l master anyway which is absolutely necessary for any camera (even though ninety nine point nine percent will never use it is a deal breaker and a rip-off by evil Ricoh who want's you to buy more flashes en break your back with gear because of a plot with the health industry..... end of alu foil hat rant....)
11-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, lots of great advice! I had heard that the Pentax forums had a good community, but man you guys blew it out of the water. It seems like it comes down to choosing a k-3 or a k-3II. I personally do need the GPS with how much traveling I will be doing in the next 8-10 months. I could try to rember the places I go, but Indian geography is not my strongsuit. On my k-50 I never did use the flash because I dont like the harsh direct effect of the on bord flash. I have gotten around this by always keeping a small hikeing head lamp in my camera backpack.

Firm wear was brought up several times during this disscushion, do you think out dated firm ware could be the problem with my k-50? The reson I did not look into it before is because it was working just fine for months prior to the issue. Eather way it is time for an upgrade.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice, it has helped to set my mind at rest.

Carl
Good thinking about the GPS, I don't have a K-3II but I do want one (and a K-1 too). I shoot a lot of rural landscapes and the GPS would be a great help with pinpointing locations. Have a great year!
11-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, that's an option - another item to buy, though, and as you say, nicer to have integrated if it's something you will use.

Again, a pocket size small flash is one more thing to buy - and something else that needs batteries. All I'm saying is, the on-board flash can be useful. I rarely use mine if I'm shooting my K-3, and if I'm triggering off-camera flashes I tend to use radio - but there are occasions where it comes in handy.
Again I was reviewing the K-3 II review and what I supposed to be a solution is not feasible unless you use a 360 or 540 flash.