Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Vista & Memory Card Error & Pentax K100D

So.....I went to the US this past weekend for a couple of days, and I bought a Lexar 4GB card. To my utmost surprise, "memory card error" is what appears in my window after turning on my Pentax K100D.

After searching around in this forum, I realize I have to update the firmware - I currently have version 1.00.

I've downloaded the FWDC156B.BIN but when I try to copy it into the removable disk, it's telling me to insert a disk into removable disk.

I don't understand....is it because I'm using Vista that it's not working?

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Stephanie

07-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

I don't have a K100D. But a BIN file is probably just the firmware itself. You would need a program to upload that BIN file into the K100D. Look for another download perhaps.

QuoteOriginally posted by poochie99 Quote
So.....I went to the US this past weekend for a couple of days, and I bought a Lexar 4GB card. To my utmost surprise, "memory card error" is what appears in my window after turning on my Pentax K100D.

After searching around in this forum, I realize I have to update the firmware - I currently have version 1.00.

I've downloaded the FWDC156B.BIN but when I try to copy it into the removable disk, it's telling me to insert a disk into removable disk.

I don't understand....is it because I'm using Vista that it's not working?

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Stephanie
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yippy! I figured it out. Pretty simple really. All I did was update it using my 2GB card....and tada....the 4GB works now!!

Yippy!!! Time to click click awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #4

Your card reader may not be able to read a 4gb card and you may need a new reader that is capable of reading high capacity cards. Older card readers (before HC was born) usually don't have that capability. Also, depending on your machine, you may have more than one removable disk with different drive letters so may sure you are addressing the drive that the card is in.

Whoops, I see you posted again while I was typing this response.

John

Last edited by JohnV3; 07-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #5

The 4gb will work in the camera now but you should make sure that your card reader will handle a 4gb card to import the photos into your computer. You can take a few quick test photos to check the reader. I've been through this scenario and I returned the 4gb card because I already had more than enough card readers and didn't want to buy another one. So, I have at least a half dozen 2gb cards. However, you probably can import the photos directly from the camera and not use a card reader.

Last edited by JohnV3; 07-30-2008 at 05:43 PM.
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
The 4gb will work in the camera now but you should make sure that your card reader will handle a 4gb card to import the photos into your computer. You can take a few quick test photos to check the reader. I've been through this scenario and I returned the 4gb card because I already had more than enough card readers and didn't want to buy another one. So, I have at least a half dozen 2gb cards. However, you probably can import the photos directly from the camera and not use a card reader.
I don't have a card reader. My husband shot it out by mistake with the packaging...LOL....so yeah, I import my photos directly from my camera....

Thanks for your response!!
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did the upgrade a week or so ago. I had a brand new 4-gb card and it took me a moment to realize that I couldn't use the 4-gb card to actually do the upgrade. DUH! I put the file on a 2-gb card and it was off and running. Easy upgrade to do. Enjoy your new card.
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

my K100D super saw a 4GB card with no problem, straight out the box.
I hate firmware updates, usually fixes one problem but throws up another.

07-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If your computer is running Vista, it must be a recent model and it might have the card reader incorporated (slots to insert the cards). As far as I know, all the computers I've seen running
Vista and having the card slots were able to read SDHC cards.
08-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
my K100D super saw a 4GB card with no problem, straight out the box.
I hate firmware updates, usually fixes one problem but throws up another.
Yeah, it is my understanding that the Super recognizes a 4GB card from the git-go, but the non-Super does not. The upgrade was easy as pie, and the 4GB card was a freebie -- won it as a door prize at a Pentaxian get-together.
08-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If your computer is running Vista, it must be a recent model and it might have the card reader incorporated (slots to insert the cards). As far as I know, all the computers I've seen running
Vista and having the card slots were able to read SDHC cards.
Yea, Vista has inbuilt support for sdhc cards and will read them without any problem, but XP doesnt. Its easy to fix though, just google sdhc support for xp and u ll find it...... no need to buy external card reader.......
08-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
Yea, Vista has inbuilt support for sdhc cards and will read them without any problem, but XP doesnt. Its easy to fix though, just google sdhc support for xp and u ll find it...... no need to buy external card reader.......
Not true, it's both the reader and the OS.

My boyfriend's laptop (Gateway core 2, bought last year) came preloaded with Vista. Yet its built-in card reader can not read SDHC cards, only SD (up to 2 GB). An external SDHC reader is needed to read 4 GB SDHC cards.
08-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Not true, it's both the reader and the OS.

My boyfriend's laptop (Gateway core 2, bought last year) came preloaded with Vista. Yet its built-in card reader can not read SDHC cards, only SD (up to 2 GB). An external SDHC reader is needed to read 4 GB SDHC cards.
Not true....
I have vista laptop, can read sdhc without any problem...... U can read about it online too.... Just google it.....
btw, if u bought the laptop with SP1, then its a different story....

Last edited by aamir515; 08-24-2008 at 11:10 AM.