Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Unfortunately my car is lost forever. They managed to pin the blame on me 100% because the other person's friend was following them in the car and they both claimed that I went through a red light. The problem with their scenario is that I was sitting at the red light and only went when it hit green so they're actually 100% at fault, but since none of the people behind me stopped to be a witness I'm down a car and hundreds of dollars for a ticket. Plus me being only 22 my insurance is going to go through the roof.

In the future I will be buying a dash cam so I can fight liars.
I need to get one of those too.

A few months ago I was leaving a convenience store, my car sitting still while waiting for the SUV in front of me to go ahead. Suddenly I realized it was backing up on me! I frantically scrambled to get my car into reverse and moving, and honk my horn, but I was not quick enough to avoid being hit. Afterwards the young lady driving the SUV claimed that she had been leaving the parking lot and had stopped suddenly because of another car in front of her, and then I ran into her!

Fortunately, her passenger was more honest. He explained, "We backed up because we forgot to get chips at the store."

11-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm no lawyer (or an American for that matter), but I'd say that a non-independent witness isn't a witness - it is actually your word against the other driver - horrible though - that sort of thing shakes you up enough without having to deal with dishonest people
A non= indépendant witness is not as good as an indépendant one but is still better than none at all. As a former LEO it does have some weight but I would have looked first at all the other evidence before taking the non- independents word. Also it will be up to the defendant in this case our friend to get the info from the cameras. The officer would get told no if he requested it due to cost. Not a good situation but it is what it is. personally if I had ANY reason not to believe the other drivers I would have requested the video it's not that costly but it does take time.
My advice to our friend, is to go for it try to get the video to prove his innocence,.
11-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I installed a dash cam about 2 years ago to avoid situations like that, even though dash cams actually where illegal (in Sweden) at the time. Recently they turned legal though, (and instead they banned cameras on drones.) I don't know what they are up to but at least my dash cam is legal now. Thankfully though I haven't actually needed it yet.
11-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Insurance says it's too difficult to get the cam footage and that my case looks pretty grim. I also think I have whiplash.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.
11-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Just pop a Theta on the dash, nobody'll be able to catch you out ever again

Very sorry to hear about your accident, though - it's a nasty thing. We are all very glad that you and your K-01 are safe though. I had a very nasty accident early on in my driving career and it affected me deeply, and made me a better driver, despite being the other party's fault. I hope things get sorted out for you and you're able to get back on the road okay.
Pentax cameras are tough - when I'm not at university I live in rural Somerset, UK, and drive mostly on single track roads. Many's the time I've come round a bend, been confronted by a piece of farm machinery and watched my K-S2 go sailing violently into the passenger footwell off the seat as I haul on the anchors. I should have learned by now...

P.S. as a spinal injury sufferer (from a bicycle accident), I'd urge you to get your neck looked at if it gives you any issues at all. With spines it really is a case of a stitch in time. Take care.
11-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

Insurance says it's too difficult to get the cam footage and that my case looks pretty grim. I also think I have whiplash.
Please go see a doctor very soon. Don't wait..
11-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try yourself.

11-28-2016, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I no longer take off from the lights until I'm sure that the traffic is stopping or has stopped.
You sound like a motorcyclist....... who survived long enough to work it all out.... like me.
11-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes, I am a motorcyclist. Been riding on and off for 57 years. (Actually, only ever "off" in the dirt!)

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2016 at 17:37 ----------

Bugger! Get it looked at. If there are ongoing issues, it needs to be documented now.
11-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad your ok. I'd save the money from the cam and take an advance driver training course.

I'm going to preach for a few seconds...... never proceed through an intersection unless it is clear for you to do so..... be it walking, driving etc etc.....always always check. Controlled intersection or not is irrelevant.... your safety and those with you is on you. This includes making an allowance for the speeding of others etc.... (i.e. they may speed up to get through.... etc)

Most older drivers have had a number of occasions where things could have gone either way. Most older motor cyclists learnt from them.
12-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Maybe if you can get a lawyer to sue the other party, the truth will come up during the finding of facts.
I think you are very lucky to be alive. I had injuries during a motorcycle accident this year and when I am down about it I always try to think it could have been a lot worse.

Randy
12-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #42
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't look like your insurance company has your best interests at heart. I'd hire someone to try to get the cam footage before the footage is overwritten, if it isn't already. If they are saying your case looks pretty grim, you will probably be cancelled out by them, & it will be difficult to get new insurance elsewhere; so you have to fight for yourself, to get the facts about the accident.

I agree with others, if you "think" you have whiplash, or any other injury, have it checked out immediately!
12-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Doesn't look like your insurance company has your best interests at heart. I'd hire someone to try to get the cam footage before the footage is overwritten, if it isn't already. If they are saying your case looks pretty grim, you will probably be cancelled out by them, & it will be difficult to get new insurance elsewhere; so you have to fight for yourself, to get the facts about the accident.

I agree with others, if you "think" you have whiplash, or any other injury, have it checked out immediately!
I didn't trust the insurance so I hired an outside lawyer
12-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #44
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well hopefully your lawyer can get the cam footage as soon as possible!
12-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The problem with cameras is that the footage might get overwritten if you wait too long (many of those cameras just store a certain number of hours, days before they start going over). You should request the cam footage yourself as soon as possible, if the police and insurance are unwilling to do it.
And keep looking for other possible cameras or witnesses. If this is your town, you might want to do a social media post if anyone knows someone who has seen this accident