Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

So I got into a pretty bad accident a few hours ago

Car is completely totaled, got slammed in the front and got it sheered straight off. My car may have died but my K-01 lives on, despite being flung hard all over the place in the car, I'm just glad this brick didn't slam me in the head

11-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
So I got into a pretty bad accident a few hours ago
Glad to hear that you are OK.
11-28-2016, 01:40 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Car is completely totaled, got slammed in the front and got it sheered straight off. My car may have died but my K-01 lives on, despite being flung hard all over the place in the car, I'm just glad this brick didn't slam me in the head
More important is that you're okay. I've been hit by a car whilst on my bike, accidents are no fun but hope all is well with you and there's nothing that can't be replacedor resolved by insurance and time.
11-28-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Glad you're okay, and hopefully the other party too. Even though you probably don't like them very much right now

At least you had something to photo document the accident with!

11-28-2016, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
More important is that you're okay. I've been hit by a car whilst on my bike, accidents are no fun but hope all is well with you and there's nothing that can't be replacedor resolved by insurance and time.
Unfortunately my car is lost forever. They managed to pin the blame on me 100% because the other person's friend was following them in the car and they both claimed that I went through a red light. The problem with their scenario is that I was sitting at the red light and only went when it hit green so they're actually 100% at fault, but since none of the people behind me stopped to be a witness I'm down a car and hundreds of dollars for a ticket. Plus me being only 22 my insurance is going to go through the roof.

In the future I will be buying a dash cam so I can fight liars.
11-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #6

Look around the area where the accident took place. There may be street cams or some of the businesses may have security cameras. If there is an ATM nearby the security cam might have picked up the accident.
11-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Look around the area where the accident took place. There may be street cams or some of the businesses may have security cameras. If there is an ATM nearby the security cam might have picked up the accident.
Middle of nowhere, sadly there is nothing. I'll double check on google or something but I sincerely doubt it.

Edit: Looking at google street view there appears to be street cams over the lights in the intersection... mmm maybe this would be worth looking into.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-28-2016 at 02:10 AM.
11-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no lawyer (or an American for that matter), but I'd say that a non-independent witness isn't a witness - it is actually your word against the other driver - horrible though - that sort of thing shakes you up enough without having to deal with dishonest people
11-28-2016, 02:41 AM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did exactly that and thankfully have not needed to use it yet.

People can be downright distasteful when they behave like this, but here's something that will hopefully keep you having some faith in humanity: Play dates foster friendships between Melbourne kindergarten kids and nursing home residents - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Tas
11-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Unfortunately my car is lost forever. They managed to pin the blame on me 100% because the other person's friend was following them in the car and they both claimed that I went through a red light. The problem with their scenario is that I was sitting at the red light and only went when it hit green so they're actually 100% at fault, but since none of the people behind me stopped to be a witness I'm down a car and hundreds of dollars for a ticket. Plus me being only 22 my insurance is going to go through the roof.

That happened to my nephew and also myself much longer ago - 50 years ago. I pulled up at an intersection behind another car. The other card decided he needed gas and backed up into my car so he could later pull into the gas station. Said it was his fault and all that and then filed a report at the police station saying it was my fault. His insurance company chose to believe the adult vice me, a teenager. No wonder the statistics show so many accidents by teenagers.
11-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds terrifying! Hope you are okay and glad to hear the K-01 survived
Look into insurance and legal help, and maybe get checked out for injuries. Sometimes after an accident people are so strong due to adrenaline, they don't even notice an injury (in joints, around neck, on spine). Then months later, the injury develops and gets worse - but it might be too late for insurance to cover it at that point.

Sounds fishy. A friend should not be considered a reliable witness. And if no car stopped, that should be a matter for police to research, to find those witnesses or do measurements or break tracks, find video footage, etc.

Good luck with everything

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-28-2016 at 03:19 AM.
11-28-2016, 03:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear you're okay and sorry about your accident. Maybe a dash board cam would be useful in the future.
11-28-2016, 03:32 AM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a very bad situation to be in. I am glad you and the K-01 are OK. Hope the lead on the CCTV works out.
11-28-2016, 03:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Glad to hear you're okay and sorry about your accident. Maybe a dash board cam would be useful in the future.
I have one but, these days, one needs a dual channel unit that looks forward and backward so you can get that bloke who runs up your rear buts says you backed into him.

Every day I press the button on the camera to save the current recording of red light runners. I get several red light runners every day. I no longer take off from the lights until I'm sure that the traffic is stopping or has stopped.
11-28-2016, 03:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you and camera are OK! Sorry about your car