Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words everyone, it means a lot!

11-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to know you're ok, likewise the camera.

Hope the CCTV has caught the accident and can be used against the liars.
11-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad to hear you are OK. Same thing happened to my brother in law. Not actually sure what he is doing, but he also got pinned with the blame. Good luck with the CCTV
11-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #19

I could tell you a long story about how the cops tried to say an accident I was in was my fault because they found what looked like one single marijuana seed in my truck that turned out to be a sesame seed. Eventually all charges for the accident went away but the other driver sued me. They thought they were going to get millions. My insurance company finally told me there was a witness that said I had the left turn arrow and they ran the red light. I didn't try suing them and obviously got nothing. They eventually settled for $1500.

11-28-2016, 06:14 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm no lawyer (or an American for that matter), but I'd say that a non-independent witness isn't a witness - it is actually your word against the other driver - horrible though - that sort of thing shakes you up enough without having to deal with dishonest people
Yep, exactly my thinking. Might need legal proceedings to fight this, but it's rubbish if a non-independant witness counts as an objective witness, or a witess in the first place. You'd be screwed if it was a police officer, but that's not the case. Getting a lawyer might be costly, but it could be worth it since you already lose so much on the car.
11-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Glad you ok! That's the important thing. Know the feeling of accident liars, many years ago I bought a new Chevy van. I was parked behind another vehicle, I miss judged my distance and clipped the back of it as I was pulling out. The owner and her passenger were out of the car window shopping nearby. We exchanged information and I filed my police report. Lo and behold
, my insurance company contacted me regarding their injury claim, they both stated in their report they were in the car when I hit it and had neck injuries. Needless to say my insurance company paid them $25,000 each and wouldn't fight it.
11-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Lucky you that your K-01 survived.

11-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad you're ok. I don't know about the US, but here a friend would not count as a witness...and it would be your own insurer who would be liable to pay for solicitors to fight the claim and investigate cameras and so forth.
But I would do that myself quick before any footage is deleted/overwritten.

For the future...although I'm sure you're there already...my driving instructor taught me to always look both ways before pulling away on a green light, because for whatever reason whether poor driver, drunk, diabetic or dementure, or just a broken light the other way, people do regularly jump red lights. It has saved me on several occasions. Even if they are clearly at fault, that won't make you any less dead.
11-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! Hang in there.
11-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #25

Good to see your ok just remember there still making cars cameras etc but not you
11-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most important thing is that you are okay. As some else mentioned, you might feel different tomorrow or in a few days. Injuries some time to feel, especially if they are whiplash, concussion, or deep muscle / skelatal system injuries. Unfortunately, insurance companies wouldn't fight for you. They will gladly pay the claim rather than spend resources (time and $$$) on investigations and drawn out legal matters.
11-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

That's pretty scummy and I'm rather shocked the police are taking their word even though they know each other.

I'd tell your insurance company about their relationship/friendship if you are 100% sure they do in fact know each other.

It reminds me of an accident I was in.. it was april fools day (no joke) and I was a college student. Guy turned left in front of me to get into a parking lot. His fault. He was a law student and the wreck happened in front of the law building at a college campus. A pack of his friends came by (while we were waiting for cops and tow trucks) out of the law building apparently... The other party wanted me to move my car out of the street (I knew where that was headed, less evidence that proved he was at fault. I said no way -- His car was toast so it thankfully wouldn't move). Then I heard the group of them talking amongst themselves, saying they would vouch for him that he was not at fault. They were literally concocting a story to put the blame on me!! These are future lawyers. These are the people you want to have some ethical treatment of the law.

So the police arrive.. get their story, get my story. Look at the placement of our smashed cars (front end collision).. and my tire marks where I braked.

The police write him a ticket. PHEW.

I was a noodle for the rest of the day. Next few days actually. And didn't want to have anything to do with cars for a long while.

I'd still contest it, ZA. As long as it doesn't cost you more time/money than the penalties. That's the dumb thing about our law system. It is money driven (by lawyers). But the connection they have with each other should throw some disbelief into their story. I wonder if they are friends on facebook or the like? Just take screenshots if you can find an obvious connection. And bring your phone to court so you can pull it up. That would be great.
11-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sorry about the car. the most important thing is that you (and your camera) are ok
11-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

As a point of interest, when I was 17 I totaled my car by running a red light that had just turned (completely my fault) and got clipped in the rear bumper by someone going through the green, which sent me into the center island and the car actually did a complete roll. No injuries. Whole thing was witnessed by a cop who happened to be waiting at the same intersection. So naturally he gave me a ticket. Not long later I get a letter in the mail saying the ticket is voided (though I took no action to contest it) because the officer who gave me the ticket was a witness to the accident, and apparently can't both be ticket-giver and witness. He was supposed to call in someone else for that I guess. Seems weird because if are witnessed by an officer committing a normal crime, I'm pretty sure they will be the same one to arrest you.

And speaking to Pentax toughness, another time when shooting I fell in a gorge and broke my wrist, broke my nose, and shattered my elbow. (Requiring surgery on both elbow and nose.) The K1000 had a little dent, but continued to operate perfectly for many years....
11-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I too am sorry for your accident but glad that you are OK. Police are not always impartial. I once had a friend in the early 20s (age not era) who was involved in an accident. He was charged with speeding but when he told the officer that the charger was not his car but the middle age women the charge was changed to proceeding when unsafe to do so.

If you pulled out on a green light while vehicles were coming into the intersection you are not totally innocent but partially guilty. A green light just means that you have the right to proceed if safe to do so. I would get legal assistance and fight this in court. It matters more on how a judge views the witness then the police do. I once beat a charge of careless driving and had a police officer actually witness the scene as he was in the lane next to me. The second officer on the scene could do nothing as he was my parent's neighbour and the fools who wrote it up measured the skid marks that were there, which went way beyond where the vehicle I rear ended stopped, in other words I would have had to hit the brakes, skidded to a stop and backed up and rear ended the car.

Write up exactly what happened, as best you can and then get legal advice. As far as the lawyers go, a good one saves you money and they need to earn a living. The police should never be the final say in any matter, oft times evidence comes to light after their investigation for example .

Good luck and again glad you are OK

---------- Post added 11-28-16 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
As a point of interest, when I was 17 I totaled my car by running a red light that had just turned (completely my fault) and got clipped in the rear bumper by someone going through the green, which sent me into the center island and the car actually did a complete roll. No injuries. Whole thing was witnessed by a cop who happened to be waiting at the same intersection. So naturally he gave me a ticket. Not long later I get a letter in the mail saying the ticket is voided (though I took no action to contest it) because the officer who gave me the ticket was a witness to the accident, and apparently can't both be ticket-giver and witness. He was supposed to call in someone else for that I guess. Seems weird because if are witnessed by an officer committing a normal crime, I'm pretty sure they will be the same one to arrest you.

And speaking to Pentax toughness, another time when shooting I fell in a gorge and broke my wrist, broke my nose, and shattered my elbow. (Requiring surgery on both elbow and nose.) The K1000 had a little dent, but continued to operate perfectly for many years....
I think in the case of an officer witnessing a crime, they will detain the culprit and call in another officer to be in charge of the case and to file the arrest warrant and charges. It protects the public or that is the intent.