Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My dilemma...

Looking to see what folks think on this on..

Here's my issue. My k10d went to pentax for repairs last week. The gentleman on the phone before I shipped said most k bodies were being completed in under 10 business days currently. So I felt good.
I called today to get an idea, and the woman said 15-20 days, and all she can tell is my work is in process.

I leave for vacation next Saturday, so in business days, assuming that 15 days holds true, the camera won't be back to me before the trip begins.

So, here are my current thoughts.

1-How similar is the k200d to the k10d? Is it more like the k100d? I know it uses AA batteries, but I am more concerned with the layout-wheels etc. I had a k100d as a backup, and hated it compared to my k10d.

2-I could rent/buy a k20d and then sell either that or the k10d once vacation is over and the camera is back in my hands.

3-Relax, leave the dSLR at home, its a family vacation with little kids, 2 standard point and shoots plus an advanced point and shoot are good enough to capture the moments

I mention number 3 because, in all honesty, that may be the direction I take. Much as I want to take the kit, I don't know how often I'd get to use it. On the beaches, I'll be chasing at least one of my kids around. In the water, I have my olympus. And I doubt I will have much time to sneak off for photo opportunities.

The fourth option would be to track down a used k10d and pick that up as a spare even just for the trip....

but I could see things being fine without it.
(the next big trip after aruba is croatia, and the k10d should be back long before then.

07-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

Myself personally, I would choose #3. How often do you get to vacation with your family? Relax, enjoy your family and your vacation. Taking your DSLR and kit will only be one more thing to worry about.
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I second the option #3 though it also depends where are you going. I was in Mexico early this year and while I did not want to carry my DSLR to the beach, I definitely took it on a trip to Chichen Itza.
07-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats kinda the way im leaning.

part of it is, im really not pining for the k20, so the "excuse" isn't helpful to me, if that means much.

its one time fitting all the camera gear in my pocket should be fine

07-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you are that unsure of wanting a DSLR, then I wouldn't buy one just to take there...

Look up the cost of renting, then you should be able to decide if it is worth it.

Though, I suppose if you figure you could buy a DSLR then sell it again for less of a loss than renting, maybe that's worth it, but a bunch of hassle.

Yep, depends on the trip. Some it would be worth a lot to get a good camera, others, not so much.
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sew-guessing you missed my initial blurb, or the sig.

i have one. mine is out of commision, and its a debate between replacing, or just using the point and shoots and actually relaxing
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Leaning towards number 3, but for me I have no extra dollars to throw around these days.

Just got back from vacation. I got about 400 percent more on the Fuji Finepix S700 ($149.00) than on the K10D primarily because I was on the beach a lot and frankly didn't want the stress. Actually I had a great time translating everything I've learned with the K10D to the little FinePix... It sure has a lot of big boy features!

Anyway, either way, I hope it works out for you and that you get to relax and have a great time. The quality of your pics will reflect that no matter what you do!

woof!

07-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Igilligan

If as you say you are not pining for the K20... then I agree with the others... just go with option 3. You are so limited in quality photo time on many beachy family vacations. Your focus is literally on the kids and not thru the camera most of the time... Sand/theft all possible problems that scream out for a small P&S option.

But as my good friend said to me on my last vacation. You bought that damn thing to use it didn't ya?
But since yours is away for repair(as is mine right now!) I think the p&s is a great simplification.
07-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
Looking to see what folks think on this on..

Here's my issue. My k10d went to pentax for repairs last week. The gentleman on the phone before I shipped said most k bodies were being completed in under 10 business days currently. So I felt good. I called today to get an idea, and the woman said 15-20 days, and all she can tell is my work is in process.
I don't know WHY they keep cameras for so long but they do. Look for after about four weeks.

QuoteQuote:
1-How similar is the k200d to the k10d? Is it more like the k100d? I know it uses AA batteries, but I am more concerned with the layout-wheels etc. I had a k100d as a backup, and hated it compared to my k10d.
Then you would not like the K200D either. It's basically a K10D sensor in the body (and with the ergonomics) of the K100D. Personally, I have never understood the point of the K200D. They should dropped the K100D, kept the K10D in production and added the K20D to the line. But they didn't ask me.

QuoteQuote:
2-I could rent/buy a k20d and then sell either that or the k10d once vacation is over and the camera is back in my hands.
Nah.

QuoteQuote:
3-Relax, leave the dSLR at home, its a family vacation with little kids, 2 standard point and shoots plus an advanced point and shoot are good enough to capture the moments.
Well, there is always that option. If that works for you, then great!

It's possibilities like this that make it essential for me (at least) to have more than one good camera. On a trip to NYC recently, I felt a bit nervous about taking the K20D so I took the K10D instead. Sometimes I just grab the *ist DS.

Will
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Igilligan

Just to reinforce my option 3 choice...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If as you say you are not pining for the K20... then I agree with the others... just go with option 3. You are so limited in quality photo time on many beachy family vacations. Your focus is literally on the kids and not thru the camera most of the time... Sand/theft all possible problems that scream out for a small P&S option.

But as my good friend said to me on my last vacation. You bought that damn thing to use it didn't ya?
But since yours is away for repair(as is mine right now!) I think the p&s is a great simplification.
I looked at my last "Beach" vacation photos. I only took the P&S's because I did not have the K100d. This is the snap from the wifes old Sony P200...
I am ok with it. They really are family memories...

Attachment 16269
07-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
sew-guessing you missed my initial blurb, or the sig.

i have one. mine is out of commision, and its a debate between replacing, or just using the point and shoots and actually relaxing
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I read your post. I meant that if you seemed unsure of wanting a DSLR _on the trip_... etc.

But yeah, my post wasn't really all that insightful anyway
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
Inactive Account

# 3 by far.... lol, take the money youd spend on a quick fix dslr and do something extra fun on your vacation!
07-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PB, nothing I could spend it on unless the wife finds a jeweler in Aruba. Not giving her any ideas LOL. My three are still too young to cost daddy that much on a vacation (now, ask me that after next year to WDW....)

I am going for the point and shoots. My wife already has a canon s5 advanced one, plus I just got her the Olympus 850 for pool and beach stuff. Ill tote along my 770 as well, since it's mine, i am a big fan of backups, and dammit I wanna have my own LOL.
3 Cameras...if it's not enough I'm in trouble..
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, seeing as how your K10d is in for repair, and you are going to the beach for rest and relaxation, and taking not 1, but 3 P&S, then let me be the first to offer to hold on to your lens for you (especially the 16-45 and the 50-135) while you are gone. After all, we don't want them to feel left out, now do we?
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

#3 all the way, then buy the K20D when you get home.

Seriously, you'll be chasing kids around and having fun. Just enjoy the family and concentrate on taking some interesting shots with the P&S. They take great shots in most situations, so now's your time to concentrate on composition, not equipment.