Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

The best choice for time lapse video

Hi guys, I'm planning to shoot time lapse video, currently I have K-3 and hdmi qam modulator width DVR system, so I can record Ts stream to DVR carrier via iptv output, I'm planning to record for 12-16 hours, which problems I might face during this process, do you have any suggestions, is K-3 suitable for this kind of application?

11-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You didn't touch on power. Your batteries will not hold out for the entire 12-16 hours period, so the external Pentax power supply would probably be helpful.

11-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry I forgot to mention - external power will be on set
11-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Are you saying you are holding the mirror up and simply recording the full motion HDMI monitor stream for the entire 12-16 hours? I'd imagine you'd run into major problems with the sensor overheating due to the sensor stabilization system, which not only is powered up even when not "on," but also due to the fact that since the sensor is floating, it is not really properly heat-sunk for extended video applications.

What is the utimate product and processing approach envisioned here? If you are doing a every 10 seconds or so, why not just take continuous stills with an intervalometer and then combine the frames to video later? It will be easier on the sensor, and you will get much higher res files and a much greater signal bandwidth, wihch will allow you a lot more leeway in your downsampling later. Of course it does add time to the processing nd, but is that a showstopper?
full motion HDMI monitor stream - yes,
Will the sensor survive if will run it like 4 hours on 30 mins off , or so?