Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 03:21 AM   #16

Well,
if that happened to me, in spite of all the reasons to stay with Pentax, I'd probably jump ship and take a walk on the dark side. 5K or so will buy you a great start into either Canon or Nikon for sure...

11-30-2016, 03:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shahnm Quote
So now it's back to Precision for another repair. Another $40 to ship and insure the lens, that I used exactly 4 times (counting today). One bit of fortune - the lens is still under warranty for a week...
- Able to return? Return in.
- Not under warranty - send for repair to anywhere other than Precision. (A coupe other posts here list alternate non-warranty repair centers)
- Under warranty and Precision fails to repair it successfully? Contact Ricoh support. At the very least they should send you a shipping label so you won't have to pay shipping. (It won't have insurance, but its something). Additionally, Ricoh needs to hear repeatedly how poor Precision service is, they do not appreciate having to be getting called half a dozen times for the same issue and they will eventually work to resolve the issue.
Maybe when they get enough calls and waste enough of their own time, they will look to a more permanent solution and better option than Precision.
11-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #18
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What incredibly bad luck that you have encountered nearly every systemic problem with Pentax gear - and in the land of Precision, no less - that posters have identified on this Forum. All you need now is for the mirror on your K-3 to start flopping and the Mode Dial to lock Manual on your K-1.
11-30-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

just thinking of extended warranties and what not, have you looked into your home owners policy? I was surprised how little it cost to add my equipment with repair or replace for any reason, and it was less than what I was seeing from folks like Square Trade.

11-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The more advanced electronics get the more points of failure and the lower the life span and higher frequency of out of the box issues. It's why I have game systems from 20 years ago but my Logishi- I mean my Logitech webcam died in only a few years. It's unfortunate but this happens with all sorts of stuff, I mean I just recently had a motherboard spew magical smoke.

I'd still probably switch brands at this point though if it were me. You shouldn't feel obligated to stick with one brand if it's not doing you good. And I mean if you still wanna shoot some Pentax just get an old body without known crippling issues like a K-01 and have fun with old Manual lenses while you get high end Nikon/Sony/Canon gear for more serious stuff.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-03-2016 at 02:28 AM.
11-30-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Man that sucks... the rant I'd write would be 12 pages and would take about a week to read. However what you do in the morning when you get up after a night's sleep has to be a little more reasoned than that.

With issues like this they are going to happen to a certain number of people, but it would be really nice if they didn't all happen to the same person. But of course, in real life , nice has nothing to do with it.

There's always the folks who say, if it does' kill you it will make you stronger. ( I always feel like saying STFU to that.)

But it's also a serious impediment to your ability to enjoy your camera gear, or have confidence in it, if you have anxiety over gear failure whenever you are out.

If it were me, I'd probably just wait out the repairs, and wonder why the camera gods hate me so much. But if you can come up with a plan that makes you feel better go for it.

Only you can decide what it's going to take to get you back in your groove.
11-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

While I wouldn't blame you if you jumped to another system, I have to agree that it seems like you just had a lot of bad luck (somewhat lessened by the fact that your 150-450 is still under warranty!).

I know of one Canon user that came here to the forums and to Pentax because he had a similar run of bad luck with Canon gear... it was also probably more bad luck than anything on his side, most Canon users don't have all the issues he's had - and most Pentax users don't have all the issues you had, at least not all at once.

In the end, in your place i would just use your return period to see if you like your K-1 and DFA lenses enough too stay with Pentax... see if your confidence returns... if it doesn't, you'd be justified to leave...
12-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

As another PF member with not a lot of money, I use this strategy:
1) I buy cheap-as-possible used equipment
2) I have low enough expectations that they are often exceeded.
Feel free to adapt any of that to your own use if it is helpful.

12-01-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I can probably get a pretty decent Canon kit started with that...
Yep. As we all know, there's never been a Canon product that hasn't performed perfectly. They, like everyone other that Pentax, have a zero failure rate.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The problem is all inside your head Pentax Forums said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free
There must be fifty ways to leave your Pentax gear

Pentax forums said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude
Fifty ways to leave your Pentax gear

You just slip out the RMA, Jay
Start shopping for Canon, Shannon
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free

Hop on the ebay, Today
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the gear, Dear
And get yourself free

Pentax forums said it grieves me so to see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do to make you smile again
I said I appreciate that and would you please explain
About the fifty ways

Pentax forums said why don't you just sleep on it tonight
And I believe in the morning you'll begin to see the light
And then Pentax forums consoled me and I realized they probably were right
Fifty ways to leave your Pentax gear
I wonder if Adam could make that an auto-reply first post to every "I'm leaving Pentax" thread?
12-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
While I wouldn't blame you if you jumped to another system, I have to agree that it seems like you just had a lot of bad luck (somewhat lessened by the fact that your 150-450 is still under warranty!).

I know of one Canon user that came here to the forums and to Pentax because he had a similar run of bad luck with Canon gear... it was also probably more bad luck than anything on his side, most Canon users don't have all the issues he's had - and most Pentax users don't have all the issues you had, at least not all at once.

In the end, in your place i would just use your return period to see if you like your K-1 and DFA lenses enough too stay with Pentax... see if your confidence returns... if it doesn't, you'd be justified to leave...
Maybe a temporary trade of equipment with someone using a different company's system would be helpful?

What the OP is feeling is felt at times by a lot of people in a wide range of circumstances -- just think of all the broken golf clubs at the bottoms of lakes in golf courses, and some of them started that day's play as brand new, just purchased, highly anticipated, very expensive state-of-the-art golf clubs, too! And amid the colorful expletives that filled the air were oaths about never buying that brand of club again.
12-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any advice, support, comments, or kicks in the backside will be appreciated and/or taken under advisement...
Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems with your gear. Not nice.

I don't think that much can be said to console the situation. Unfortunately, it seems that all or most of the camera brands have issues - either problems that appear upon a new camera's introduction, or failures that occur not long afterwards. In my own personal case, I sent my DA* 50-135 lens to Pentax Canada for repairs four times in the span of 18 months (repairs done under the 2-year warranty), my K-5 for a disconnected mirror, and a DA 35 Ltd to get a barrel 'wobble' corrected. The repairs were done within 3-4 weeks door-to-door, but I was not pleased, shall we say. And then we have read about the other problems - sensor stains, aperture motor problems, the 'lens release button' failure, K-1 mode dial freeze, and so on.

The only thing I'd suggest is to evaluate your current situation and decide whether you'd be happy waiting for the next repair to be done, or to wait about the same period of time to sell or return your gear (if possible) and get another brand - only to perhaps face problems with the new equipment in the future. Are some brands really more reliable than others? Maybe not.

PS. I like your writing style - not really a rant, but well expressed in light of a bad situation.

- Craig
12-01-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So now it's back to Precision for another repair. Another $40 to ship and insure the lens, that I used exactly 4 times (counting today). One bit of fortune - the lens is still under warranty for a week...

As I reflect on all of this, I realize that I still have a week left on Adorama's 30-day return policy.
If you are within a week, simply send the lens back to Adorama for a replacement.

BTW...If you do throw all your stuff against the wall, post a video. I am sure there will be huge entertainment value.

Steve

(...good friend of mine is a Canon shooter...went through three 7D bodies for failed shutter within the warranty period and one more out of warranty...)
12-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #28
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wonder if Adam could make that an auto-reply first post to every "I'm leaving Pentax" thread?
Even at least the chorus portion would be fun.

I should have rhymed 'Sony' and 'Tony' though now that I think of it. doh.

I understand the OP's frustrations though and sympathize. Getting hit back to back to back like that is never an encouraging situation..
12-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand his frustrations as well.
My reply was meant to be lighthearted.
12-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #30

I feel your Pain

When it rains it pours...It seems Pentax gear does not like to set around. I recently purchased a 16 -50 DA* that was sold as "working perfectly" and as soon as I put it on my K3 I noticed the SDM was iffy. The seller gave e a partial refund. Uncle Vanya helped me out and converted the lens...works great as a screw focus.
With the popularity of the K1 there are a lot of DA* lenses available at good prices. Since I decided to stay APSc it has become a great way to upgrade my system.
But about the problems.... I have a 17 to 70 f4 that has had the SDM fail twice . It seems to happen when a lens sets around for a while. My 18 -270 or 18 -135 have never had issues ,but I use them a lot. They are going on e-bay ASAP since I have covered the range with DA* glass.

I've been a Pentax shooter since film (Honeywell H1A) and the ist* Digital. They have always been on the leading edge of innovation but the company has suffered from being sold so many times.

Most of the DA* lenses can be converted to screw focus by tinkering with the firmware in the lens . With the DA* the best lenses, the SDM being a well known problem, and the fix fairly simple, why wouldn't Ricoh provide this conversion at a reasonable price? Since this was a pre-Ricoh issue, It could really create a lot of good will. I don't think they want to recognize that they inherited a problem.
Pentax has always made good products but with digital decided to cater to a market that appreciates different colors & blinking lights. The latest K70 is touted as having the best image quality in the Pentax APSc line, which may be true, but it is just a beefed up KS2 . I like my KS2 ,as a backup, but the lack of a second SD slot and poor control layout (as compared to the k3) leaves something to be desired.

Now I am hoping for a true replacement for my K3 . Possibly with a BSI sensor , Articulating Display, Better low light and bring back the pop up flash... just leave the gimmicks to the entry level cameras. Just saying........