I wish there was something I could do to make you smile again
I said I appreciate that and would you please explain
About the fifty ways

Pentax forums said why don't you just sleep on it tonight
And I believe in the morning you'll begin to see the light
And then Pentax forums consoled me and I realized they probably were right
There must be fifty ways to leave your Pentax gear
Fifty ways to leave your Pentax gear

I just burned my Paul Simon box set to iTunes last week. This is brilliant!
Thank you...

---------- Post added 12-01-16 at 09:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The problem is all inside your head Pentax Forums said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free

Pentax forums said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude

You just slip out the RMA, Jay
Start shopping for Canon, Shannon
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free

Hop on the ebay, Today
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the gear, Dear
And get yourself free

Pentax forums said it grieves me so to see you in such pain
About the fifty ways

I just burned my Paul Simon box set to iTunes last week. This is brilliant!
Thank you for your creativity!

08-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by shahnm Quote

Then, while on vacation this past summer, my K-3 suddenly developed a bizarre problem. I eventually sent it in to Precision, who took over 3 months to fix it (getting parts from Ricoh Japan is apparently very hard to do, and requires a row boat).

I decided to use my K-30 as a temporary replacement, but lo and behold, during the little-over-a-year that it sat on a shelf, it developed the stuck aperture motor problem (I tried all the tricks - the thing is permanently stuck).

I took my new K-1, with my 150-450 lens that I bought last year (and used 3 times until today) to photograph my high-school soccer player. And the lens zoom is now stuck. It won't retract below about 200mm. Evidently this is a known issue with this lens. Something about using the zoom feature, which apparently is a risky endeavor with this lens.

So now it's back to Precision for another repair....
I dont want to warm up the discussion in here, but i want to remind you shahnm, that it may be wise for you and all the other pentaxians, that you write a letter to Ricoh-Imaging directly and tell them (in a polite and pc way), that such a quality is nothing that you would expect from Ricoh-Imaging and along that, you should complain about all the other drawbacks this lens has compared to other brands common teles... (If you havent done that already.) Feedback is essential.
Despite the zoom stuck failure, i would complain about:
that its nowhere really longer than the usual suspects, (looking at tamrons achievements, this lens should have gone up to 600mm at least, especially because its for full frame)
Canons "nearly equivalent" goes for about the same price and offers internal stabilization, as it also offers weather sealings and Canons AF-drive is faster.

Also important - if I where you, i would put every user that makes fun of you and your problem by taunting you, either with sophism or with uncreative poems ... on your ignore list, believe me.
Its always the usual suspects with their very counterproductive sophism that only want to adulate and "mollycoddle" the brand/system ...
(because they maybe sell the gear)
If you want to keep you brain and eyes clean from counterproductive and "apple shiner" influence - USE YOUR IGNORE LIST.

But keep one in mind, there is one point where most people in here will coincide, what is:
Your case is indeed very bad luck. - and if god really hates you when his eyes hit you, jumping ship may end in the same situation:

Think about other brands problems:

Nikon: Recalls the D750 a Third Time for the Same Shutter Issue! the old Sensor-Shutter-Oil problems at nikon, etc.

Canon: left side focus issue incl. poor calibration, several freeze and lockup problems, etc.

Sony: Overheating problems, banding issues, etc.

and you can take any other brand. there will always be something in the shadows only waitin for you.

BTW: I think this thread should be closed.
08-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure this story has been told a thousand times. Please forgive one more rendition.

I have been a Pentax fan(boi) for over a decade. I originally started with Pentax DSLRs because they offered better value than the usual suspects, and the extra ruggedness was a welcome bonus. Since my original entry (K-100), I have bought several more bodies: K-x, K-r, K-30, K-3...

...and enough glass to... well anyway a heck of a lot of glass.

Then, while on vacation this past summer, my K-3 suddenly developed a bizarre problem. I eventually sent it in to Precision, who took over 3 months to fix it (getting parts from Ricoh Japan is apparently very hard to do, and requires a row boat).

I decided to use my K-30 as a temporary replacement, but lo and behold, during the little-over-a-year that it sat on a shelf, it developed the stuck aperture motor problem (I tried all the tricks - the thing is permanently stuck).

So despite all of this, for some reason I went ahead and bought a K-1, with 3 shiny new DFA lenses (about 3 weeks ago). Evidently, I have now become one of the sorts with more money than sense. Which sucks, because I don't have a heck of a lot of money...

I took my new K-1, with my 150-450 lens that I bought last year (and used 3 times until today) to photograph my high-school soccer player. And the lens zoom is now stuck. It won't retract below about 200mm. Evidently this is a known issue with this lens. Something about using the zoom feature, which apparently is a risky endeavor with this lens.

So now it's back to Precision for another repair. Another $40 to ship and insure the lens, that I used exactly 4 times (counting today). One bit of fortune - the lens is still under warranty for a week...

As I reflect on all of this, I realize that I still have a week left on Adorama's 30-day return policy. I'm tempted to just send back the $5k of Pentax gear I just bought. I can probably get a pretty decent Canon kit started with that...

Thanks for reading my rant. Any advice, support, comments, or kicks in the backside will be appreciated and/or taken under advisement...
Some guys have all the luck. Now I know why I have not had any troubles with my *ist DL, K10D or K5IIs, or any of the dozens of lenses that I own and use daily.

The *ist DL and the K10D sit too much since the K5IIs came along, but they have worked perfectly each time I have taken them out of the closet and fired them up.

I only have a few modern lenses, but have never had a single bit of trouble from any of them, and of course the manual glass never requires anything but routine cleaning, and storage to prevent the occurrence of fungal growth.

I doubt you will have any better luck with another brand. You simply have a sign directing all the bad stuff your way.

I feel your pain.
08-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would definitely return a lens having been used so little and having any problem. I have done business with Adorama, and although I've had no equipment issues, they have a good reputation and seem like they would be very cooperative.

I have had very good luck with Pentax. I originally started with a metal-body Vivitar SLR and 50mm lens in the mid-1970's when there was no auto anything. 6 years later I bought my first Pentax, the M Super, and was amazed at its aperture priority automation. I stuck with Pentax for my first AF body about 7 years later, and ever since. I've had just 2 issues over these many years and a lot of equipment. I still have several 35mm film bodies- PZ-1p, MZ-S, ZX-L, and ZX-5n, and Super Program.

My first DSLR, the *ist-D began draining batteries. It was still under warranty, and back when Pentax had their own USA repair facility, I got it back rather quickly in perfect working order. I went on to also get a K-100D and then the K-200D and K-20D. I especially loved these two for their fine build, fine IQ, and WR. I still have them all. The K-200D developed the battery drain problem, even though it has had low use. I should get it repaired before selling it, or sell it as is.

I have also owned a K-r, and still own a K-5, a K-5 IIs. I recently acquired a KP. I have a ton of glass by Pentax as well s 3rd party models. including top-quality DA*, FA*, and Limiteds. Your experience comes as a surprise to me.

My approach to telephoto is to use the highest-quality APS-C body, especially one providing the best higher ISO/ low-noise performance, and with high-quality fast or fairly fast lenses. For the same framing as a FF body, the APS-C allows use of a smaller, lighter telephoto lens. I have the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, the DA* 200mm f/2.8, and FA* 300mm f/4.5 as well as the DA HD 55-300mm f4-5.8, and older Sigmas: 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO, 150-500mm f/4.5-6.3 which tested at f/5.6 by Pop Photo. I haven't used the last two for years. As to FF (the K1), I look forward to getting one for use more in the wide angle to short tele range. My K-5 IIs has been very good at ISO up to 3200. My KP knocks at the door of the K-1 for low noise and overall IQ, which it was designed to do, and I am knocking on wood that I continue having good luck with its having no service issues!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.
08-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That sucks, I'm not sure I could stay with any brand after going through that. I have been lucky . I know it. The only thing I have that died was the original grip for my K3. Last year I year I was on a shoot with a local group. Two Nikkon shooters both had issues. One had their body lock up like brick. The other had the motor die in their Nikkor 70-200 2.8 lens. I wish you some better luck your way. You certainly deserve it.
08-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
Pentaxian

We still don't seem to know very much about the aperture control ailment, but one thing I've become certain of in the months since you first posted this is that the K-30/50 cameras need steady work - the best way to guarantee aperture control failure is to leave it idle for an extended period of time. I know it is late for this news ....
08-28-2017, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I feel sorry for you shahnm. We buy the gears we like, we give them the proper care and we enjoy them. Nothing is perfect if things go wrong, we just have to face them. As camyum pointed out, it happens to all brands. I hope it doesn't happen to me (fingers crossed and with a lot of prayers). My gears will have to be shipped to Japan. I don't get them here in my country. The service here is really awful.

08-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #38

I'm sure this story has been told a thousand times. Please forgive one more rendition.

I have been a Pentax fan(boi) for over a decade. I originally started with Pentax DSLRs because they offered better value than the usual suspects, and the extra ruggedness was a welcome bonus. Since my original entry (K-100), I have bought several more bodies: K-x, K-r, K-30, K-3...

...and enough glass to... well anyway a heck of a lot of glass.

So despite all of this, for some reason I went ahead and bought a K-1, with 3 shiny new DFA lenses (about 3 weeks ago). Evidently, I have now become one of the sorts with more money than sense. Which sucks, because I don't have a heck of a lot of money...

So now it's back to Precision for another repair. Another $40 to ship and insure the lens, that I used exactly 4 times (counting today). One bit of fortune - the lens is still under warranty for a week...

As I reflect on all of this, I realize that I still have a week left on Adorama's 30-day return policy. I'm tempted to just send back the $5k of Pentax gear I just bought. I can probably get a pretty decent Canon kit started with that...

Thanks for reading my rant. Any advice, support, comments, or kicks in the backside will be appreciated and/or taken under advisement...
Ifinally purchased the fast DA* lenses that I could not previously afford. Af problems and weight are also making me considering Sony alpha 6500.
If the K3 replacement is not available by the end of the year. I will likely make the switch.
08-29-2017, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by photobobhunt Quote
Ifinally purchased the fast DA* lenses that I could not previously afford. Af problems and weight are also making me considering Sony alpha 6500.
If the K3 replacement is not available by the end of the year. I will likely make the switch.
I give it a bit more time... but a camera that costs more than the Sony A6500... should offer more ... keep THAT in mind.
08-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The problem is all inside your head Pentax Forums said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free

Pentax forums said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude

You just slip out the RMA, Jay
Start shopping for Canon, Shannon
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free

Hop on the ebay, Today
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the gear, Dear
And get yourself free

Pentax forums said it grieves me so to see you in such pain
About the fifty ways

Bravo, very clever

Every camera system has issues, I'm not sure Pentax is worse or better than others, but it's certainly the road less travelled

Sorry to hear about your issues
08-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I guess I should look on the bright side. Perhaps my taking the camera/lens out tonight (which I hadn't planned to do and actually ran back to grab on the way out the door) was karma giving me a 1+. If the lens died next week, it would have been out of warranty...

BTW - I never previously thought that extended warranties were good values, but I learned my lesson with Pentax cameras. I did buy the extended warranty on the K-1. I thought it was supposed to include the new lenses too, but the paperwork just lists the camera body. Anyway, I guess that's 5-years of some peace of mind...

Thanks for the thoughts!
I\m a believer in extended warranties. We bough a Samsung large screen TV from Costco a few years ago. One day, well after the factory warranty expired, but still within the extended Costco warranty, the TV just died. We called the 1-800 warranty number for Costco. The TV was picked up, repaired and back within about 5 days . The bill which Costco covered was around $ 500 +. Very impressed with their service.

Now not every product (expensive) we buy will require repairs past the warranty period, but we have noticed in the past 5-10 years , in our experience, more do have issues, generally expensive than was the case years ago.

I understand from some repair workers that products nowadays have more electronic components and these can be subject to more repairs, than say old mechanical devices. I'm not an expert, so I don;t know.
08-09-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an old post - but - somehow he managed to experience nearly every* known and statistically insignificant problem with new Pentax gear. What are the odds of that?

* He should watch out for Mode Dial failure on his K-1.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.
08-10-2019, 03:04 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Judging from other posts, his suggested course of action may well result in more damage to the wall than the camera !!