Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the "take them out because they leak" is just a hold over from old AA technology. I have never heard of a lithium battery leaking. I never take the battery out of my cameras. I do take out AA batteries on things I am not using for a long time. I have had those leak multiple times.

12-01-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I might need to take the battery out of my Yashica rangefinder since I don't use it often, but I always leave my battery in the k-01. I mean do you take the battery out of your phone or laptop when you're not using it?
12-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I might need to take the battery out of my Yashica rangefinder since I don't use it often, but I always leave my battery in the k-01. I mean do you take the battery out of your phone or laptop when you're not using it?
My cameras, flashes and radio triggers all use batteries I have to remove from their devices to charge, most of which are AAs (including for the cameras), where as my phone and laptop have non-removable batteries.
12-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
My cameras, flashes and radio triggers all use batteries I have to remove from their devices to charge, most of which are AAs (including for the cameras), where as my phone and laptop have non-removable batteries.
Have you never had a laptop or phone with a removable battery?

12-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The batteries are only out for charging.
My K5 is without batteries, but only because I'm using the battery in the K3 and K1.
There is no reason for removing the batteries and it's protecting the small built in battery for the clock
My cameras are in use several times a month, therefore I'm not doing long time storage at all
12-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Not in the past...it's probably been over five or six years?

My K-x takes AAs only, my K-30 is almost always equipped with it's AA adapter, and my K-1 is usually seen with the AA Battery Grip.
12-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I leave my Li-on batteries in the camera bodies, take the alkaline batteries out of the camera bodies...when not using.

12-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #23

In, I use my camera often.While not using it, I turn it on once every two days.
12-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigfoxkiB Quote
In, I use my camera often.While not using it, I turn it on once every two days.
I leave it in the camera...never have the problem.
12-02-2016, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #25
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the camera always. In fact I have 2. The other is in the grip. I don't like the idea of draining the internal battery or capacitor.
12-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the "take them out because they leak" is just a hold over from old AA technology. I have never heard of a lithium battery leaking. I never take the battery out of my cameras. I do take out AA batteries on things I am not using for a long time. I have had those leak multiple times.
Yeah. So if you are using adapter or battery grip, you might want to take them out. You should also take them out if you are expecting extreme climate, like long time of low temperatures. In that case, you should put them someplace safe - but you would put your camera someplace safe, as well! For example, in cold climate you might not have any place to store camera and gear when traveling. But in that case you can put battery close to your body to keep it warm, so it doesn't die. Would be difficult to put a whole DLSR inside your jacket. Other than specific cases like these, I would not worry. Maybe some third parties can develop defects, but I trust the originals. I only remove it when charging.

Edit: Of course, older cameras like film SLRs and rangefinders have different battery type than the modern DSLRs, so if you have those cameras, do research on their batteries. In those cases it might make sense to remove battery

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-02-2016 at 04:30 AM.
12-02-2016, 04:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I leave them in on the theory that it will prolong the life of the built-in battery that keeps the camera's clock ticking. I'd hate to kill that battery and then have to reset the clock every time I swap batteries.
This happend to my K50 along with all the fine focus adjustments were reset
12-02-2016, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #28

I always store my K10D with the battery in for the reasons given in the above posts. I will also take it out and snap the shutter a few times at least every other month. I believe the lubricants will start to gum up from long periods of disuse and working the mechanisms now and then keep the grease emulsified.

But then I seldom not use my camera more than two months in a row

BTW Lithium based cells should ideally be stored with ~40% charge to for longest life.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries ? Battery University
12-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine always have the batteries in them unless I am charging them.
12-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I leave them in on the theory that it will prolong the life of the built-in battery that keeps the camera's clock ticking. I'd hate to kill that battery and then have to reset the clock every time I swap batteries.
I do this also for the same reason. Plus my cameras all have grips (except the K-01) and I have the battery settings to use the "Grip First", so occasionally I will rotate the batteries from body to grip to average usage.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes. I had an old Apple Powerbook laptop back in 1992-93 that had an encased battery that was inserted in a side slot.