Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I leave them in. The K-3II is regularly swapped out, of course. The K-5 has a battery in that I check every few weeks - it's still reading full and in good condition after many months. The *istDS has a couple of CR-V3s in it that seem to last for ages.

12-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LIthium-Ion batteries don't tend to leak. Alkaline on the other hand is quite prone to it.
+1 regarding alkalines

I've had numerous AA's and button-cell alkalines leak.
12-02-2016, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
This happend to my K50 along with all the fine focus adjustments were reset
Note to self, write these down somewhere if I ever AF tune my lenses.
12-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do not remove the standard camera battery during storage or long periods between usage and (knock on wood) have never had them leak. I have had problems with spares that were left out of the camera for long periods lose their 'memory'. Sometimes I could recondition them, and sometimes they couldn't take or hold a charge. This seems to happen when left out of the camera, but not when it slowly drains in the camera.

I have had both disposable and rechargeable Ni-Cad and Ni-mH AA size batteries leak from every brand. I've never had that problem with Li-Ion but they have been known to spontaneously overheat/melt/combust, and therefore I don't risk that either if it is the AA type.

Also problems with the manufacture brands have been rare to none. Whereas the Watson, Pearstone, or Wasabi versions have been problematic over time.

12-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Mine always have the batteries in them unless I am charging them.
Same here. The cameras I use most often always have the batteries in them. I've removed the batteries from my film cameras but that's because I haven't used them in several years.
12-02-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I leave them in because I'm lazy.
12-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I leave them in because I'm lazy.
I'm not sure what is meant by the word "store".

I have two types of cameras:
(1) those I currently use
(2) those which I formerly used and keep around either for backup or for sentimental reasons

I consider the cameras in group (2) to be "stored", even though they are in the same closet, just a few feet away, from my "active" cameras. None of those cameras currently has a battery in it, of course.

Currently there are two cameras in group (1) - my Q-7 and my K-30. I classify myself as a "low volume" user. I take maybe 2500 pictures per year, but my photography patterns are not wholly predictable; before my recent trip to Calif to help my daughter drive back to Indiana, I knew that my Q-7 would be used, and my K-30 would not be used, fairly continually over a ten-day period. That is something of an exception, however. I never know when my wife may yell something like "Look what's in the back yard", so I always have my active cameras loaded and ready to go {and I rotate batteries roughly weekly}.

12-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I leave the batteries in my K-5 and K-3 so they are always ready. I keep a third battery on standby for the K-3 grip or if one of the in camera batteries is going close to needing a recharge