Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you store your cameras with the batteries in, or out?

I have always left my batteries in my digital cameras at all times. Never had any problems over the years from doing this.

I just read that one photographer always takes his camera batteries out when not actually using his cameras. His concern is that the battery could leak and ruin the camera.

Just curious as to what you folks do?

12-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Usually out if I'm not going to use it for a few days.
12-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I take mine out when my camera is not being used.
12-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out, but only because I have 4 cameras that use the D-Li90, so I carry 4 charged batteries whichever camera I am using.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-01-2016 at 07:47 PM.
12-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Both, i left them in most of the time, cause im not a Pro and when i go out i can forget the batterie, but when i use some energy out of them i remove charge and left them out of the camera, only if im gonna leave the camera more than 1 weej without use then i remove the battery

12-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

If I know I'm not going to use it for months, I'll take them out.
Otherwise, I leave them in.
Never had an issue with leaking batteries in my digital cameras in 13 years.
I think it was more of an issue with older style batteries for film cameras.
Speaking of which, I always take the batteries out of my film cameras because I seldom use them.
Even then, I don't recall ever having an issue with leakage.
12-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out if they need charged or if I won't be using the camera for a few months. I've never had lithiums, lithium-ion or nickel metal-hydride batteries explode on me, just alkalines, but the 360FGZII I picked up second hand evidently had 'an accident' in its past, once I cleaned its contacts, it gradually became more reliable over time (and has turned into a super-reliable flash).

12-01-2016, 07:11 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I leave them in on the theory that it will prolong the life of the built-in battery that keeps the camera's clock ticking. I'd hate to kill that battery and then have to reset the clock every time I swap batteries.
12-01-2016, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If camera is in regular use, battery stays in camera.

Leaking Lithium battery? They don't leak when they go bad, they catch fire and explode!

Steve
12-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have always left my batteries in my digital cameras at all times. Never had any problems over the years from doing this.

Just curious as to what you folks do?
I have left my lithium batteries in my Canon and Pentax cameras for years. I've never ever ever ever ever had a single problem. Alkaline batteries get removed if the camera won't be used for a long time.

obin
12-01-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Gallery
I always leave the battery in my camera, and from time to time I turn the camera on to check the remaining power, and swap to a fully charged battery if necessary.

As for the internal battery.
Once, when I shot in -30°C, I've removed the battery from my camera to warm it in my pocket, forgot it there for about 2 hours, and inserted it only when I got back home. When I turned my K-30 on, all the settings were reset to factory default.
So the internal battery drains rather quickly - especially in extreme cold.
12-01-2016, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I leave them in on the theory that it will prolong the life of the built-in battery that keeps the camera's clock ticking. I'd hate to kill that battery and then have to reset the clock every time I swap batteries.
^^^This. Precisely. And exchange the battery monthly.
12-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LIthium-Ion batteries don't tend to leak. Alkaline on the other hand is quite prone to it. Lithium Ion on the other hand can swell and get stuck but that's not a likely problem really. So batteries in for me. I also keep NI-MH in my flashes.
12-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LIthium-Ion batteries don't tend to leak. Alkaline on the other hand is quite prone to it. Lithium Ion on the other hand can swell and get stuck but that's not a likely problem really. So batteries in for me. I also keep NI-MH in my flashes.
Do you know if Ni-Mh batteries leak?
12-01-2016, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Do you know if Ni-Mh batteries leak?
I have never seen one leak - and this source suggests that they don't: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312389-do-NiMH-batteries-...line-batteries