Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I see people advocate for 50mm lenses, but 40/43 is my favourite focal length.
I've got the 50/1.8 sitting here on my desk and one thing that's becoming fairly obvious is how bulky it is with the rubber hood attached. It's not bulky in an absolute sense (actually a rather small, extremely light lens) but the DA 40 even with the built-in hood is much flatter and much more pocket-able I imagine. Might be good for certain situations where you want to go light and can't bring a camera bag. Just keep a DA 15 or 21 on the camera for scenic stuff, and pop on the 40 for portraits, etc... with nothing more than a coat or jeans pocket. Very cool.

... Or, I could just let the 18-135 WR hang at my side all day , but then no pixie dust.

12-03-2016, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Just keep a DA 15 or 21 on the camera for scenic stuff, and pop on the 40 for portraits, etc... with nothing more than a coat or jeans pocket. Very cool.
I do something like this with the FA 31-43-77. Either with my K-1 or a lighter-weight film camera. 31 for landscapes, 43 for street photography, 77 for portraiture.
12-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The most important part of photography isn't gear, but learning and improving your skills.
I tend to lean towards the important bit being how the hobby gives you pleasure and enrichens your life..... gear can be a meaningful net contributor to this for some.
12-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I tend to lean towards the important bit being how the hobby gives you pleasure and enrichens your life..... gear can be a meaningful net contributor to this for some.
To be fair, gear does make some things possible or much more practical: macro, low-light, astrophotography, things that make carry easier, flash. I don't think many of us would want to get by with the camera the average person has on them, the smartphone, so we carry a big camera, gear can extend how much do how fast you can grow.